Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah! I'm not that desperate to see new photos, those posted by the Model Shop Belfast will suffice. The one thing which I like about the new model is that the handrails seem to be a little more robust than those on the class 141/181 models and the detail of the light clusters are far superior.

I don't know Des, sometimes you get ideas and before you know it you're turning it into an obsession. I have been taking a look at Brassmaster point rodding, pulleys and all other matter of detailing bits and bobs. I like the look of the Colin Craig etches for trackwork also.

Rich,

"Brassmaster point rodding, pulleys and all other matter of detailing bits and bobs. " Oh Lordy , give me strength....I'd love to see that on a layout!

"Brassmaster point rodding, pulleys and all other matter of detailing bits and bobs. " Oh Lordy , give me strength....I'd love to see that on a layout!

How many people do you think would notice it Des. When I lived in London I used to travel through Clapham Junction daily and I really got interested in all things per way. I love seeing all the wires rodding and associated bits leaving the base of the cabin and along the track to the crossings and signals. Your signals are that good Des that I feel adding all the other machinery will really set them off. Take a look at all this (taken at Clonmel with permission) just for one crossover.

This is the equipment leaving the cabin taken on the same day.

I believe that if you choose to model a real location in it's current state, and you are hand building the track then you owe it to yourself to try and complete as much of the detail as you can. To be honest Des I am more freaked out about having to do the wiring and scenic work than the actual building of track, signals, buildings etc. I kind of hope that the layout will always be a work in progress and although it might look complete it would be nice to always add or change little bits and pieces as time moves on. All I need now Des is for you to produce a nice footbridge (hint hint) and most of the raw materials will be ready for when the build will commence.

Rich,

Clonmel Station and Signal Cabin July 23 2009 031.jpg

clonmel 14 april 2010 006.jpg

Clonmel Station and Signal Cabin July 23 2009 031.jpg

clonmel 14 april 2010 006.jpg

Edited by RedRich

That was me :-bd

I should have guessed mate. Well done :tumbsup:, the shade of orange looks perfect. I take it they are Hornby MK111's Anto. I will be purchasing a few Hornby MK111's to be converted to a push pull set using Jim Smith Wright hopper windows, Shawplan extreme etching MK111 window surrounds and laser glaze windows. I might as well start assembling the rolling stock while I am waiting for a permenant home for the layout to be built. To be honest I am doing too much talking about what I am hoping to do and not enough actual work so that will have to change.

Rich,

I should have guessed mate. Well done :tumbsup:, the shade of orange looks perfect. I take it they are Hornby MK111's Anto. I will be purchasing a few Hornby MK111's to be converted to a push pull set using Jim Smith Wright hopper windows, Shawplan extreme etching MK111 window surrounds and laser glaze windows. I might as well start assembling the rolling stock while I am waiting for a permenant home for the layout to be built. To be honest I am doing too much talking about what I am hoping to do and not enough actual work so that will have to change.

Rich,

I'm the same Rich. Too much work to do and not enough time to do it. I'm pretty close to getting started with mine thank-god :)

OMG! Had a look at the pre-production model of the 071 in Marks Models. You may have not thought it possible but, it's far superior to anything that Murphy Models has done before. You have to go and see it for yourself.

No. Nothing can be better than the 201s. Can it?

No. Nothing can be better than the 201s. Can it?

It can, things can only get better. To be honest I'd say the 141s are still the yardstick, but that's just my opinion. 201s arent a bad lump mind you. I think the 071 will be top dog going on what I've seen so far.

It can, things can only get better. To be honest I'd say the 141s are still the yardstick, but that's just my opinion. 201s arent a bad lump mind you. I think the 071 will be top dog going on what I've seen so far.

Well ,it might be just that the 201s are my favourite loco so I might be biased ;) or it might just be comparing them to the lima ones..

Nothing wrong with a bit of bias! ;) the Lima 201 is a good point though, I remember people couldn't believe they were available after years of Lima 33 and hornby hymek repaints. They were top dog and people paid huge money for them. Then the 141s came along a few years later and were from a different planet.

I have to agree with you Fran the 141/181 sets the bench mark

I'm with you guys on this. The baby's definitely set the bar, as did the Cravens. The 201 is a cracking model but it fell short of the bar for myself anyway by not having flush glazed windscreens and I think that it would have been nice to have had see through bodyside grilles in the same manner as the grille on the electrical end of the roof.

The 071 looks like it could raise the bar again and that's what we want to see as punters and modellers.

Rich.

How many people do you think would notice it Des. When I lived in London I used to travel through Clapham Junction daily and I really got interested in all things per way. I love seeing all the wires rodding and associated bits leaving the base of the cabin and along the track to the crossings and signals. Your signals are that good Des that I feel adding all the other machinery will really set them off. Take a look at all this (taken at Clonmel with permission) just for one crossover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]643[/ATTACH]

This is the equipment leaving the cabin taken on the same day.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]644[/ATTACH]

I believe that if you choose to model a real location in it's current state, and you are hand building the track then you owe it to yourself to try and complete as much of the detail as you can. To be honest Des I am more freaked out about having to do the wiring and scenic work than the actual building of track, signals, buildings etc. I kind of hope that the layout will always be a work in progress and although it might look complete it would be nice to always add or change little bits and pieces as time moves on. All I need now Des is for you to produce a nice footbridge (hint hint) and most of the raw materials will be ready for when the build will commence.

Rich,

A footbridge could be a while yet. Have you checked out Alan Gibson's Midland Footbridge (4mm91). Retails at about £55, I've been meaning to get one to see how it compares to what we have in Ennis.

BTW, Dave, those Mk3s are the business!

I was chatting to Anthony a while back and I just

Discovered that the 071 class are taller than the

141/181 class.Now that is one thing that caught me

out as I thought they were both the same in height.

I persume the height difference is in the buffer area

and the cabs are the same.I had always wondered

why the red Panal between the buffers was more

Raised on a 071 class.

I was chatting to Anthony a while back and I just

Discovered that the 071 class are taller than the

141/181 class.Now that is one thing that caught me

out as I thought they were both the same in height.

I persume the height difference is in the buffer area

and the cabs are the same.I had always wondered

why the red Panal between the buffers was more

Raised on a 071 class.

Eamonn the 071 sits higher on the chassis than the 141-181, the buffers are the same height but everything else is a few inches higher up. Here is a pic of 088 and 160 cab to cab.

Rich,

088-161.jpg

088-161.jpg

A footbridge could be a while yet. Have you checked out Alan Gibson's Midland Footbridge (4mm91). Retails at about £55, I've been meaning to get one to see how it compares to what we have in Ennis.

BTW, Dave, those Mk3s are the business!

I had a good look at the Alan Gibson bridge Des and there are a lot of differences. The Lochgorm Kits Scottish Highland Railway footbridge is a lot closer except the lattice work doesn't look right for our type of footbridges.

Rich,

I had a good look at the Alan Gibson bridge Des and there are a lot of differences. The Lochgorm Kits Scottish Highland Railway footbridge is a lot closer except the lattice work doesn't look right for our type of footbridges.

Rich,

Looks like it's a model to put into the pipework then! Not for the next 6-12 months though...

Eamonn the 071 sits higher on the chassis than the 141-181, the buffers are the same height but everything else is a few inches higher up. Here is a pic of 088 and 160 cab to cab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]766[/ATTACH]

Rich,

fair play to you rich and eamonn...never knew that!

fair play to you rich and eamonn...never knew that!

It's not something you would really know until you see them buffer to buffer Seamus. I often wonder was it designed to be able to make the pipe work and conduit more accessible when in the works.

Rich,

• 3 weeks later...

Murphy Models Class 071, probably the most eagerly awaited model locomotives to hit the Irish Market now available to pre-order on http://www.themodelshop.ie

We also offer a "savings club" facility for this exciting Launch-contact: info@themodelshop.ie or phone 057 8621081 for more details.

The first 3 locos will be available in October 2012 and will consist of : No 071 (Class Leader) in CIE Supertrain Livery

No 082 in IE Freight Livery (Black & Silver)

No 112 in NIR Livery