Murphy Models 071 - New, detailed pre-production photos added!

Rate this topic

Admin

I notice from the 071 pre-production pics the they have included the blanking plate under the side window, presumably installed after the removal of the staff collector. A feature not present on the MM 141/181 models (post staff collector era). Small details like this lead me to believe that Paddy is building on the experience and even further improving on the quality of his previous models.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice from the 071 pre-production pics the they have included the blanking plate under the side window, presumably installed after the removal of the staff collector. A feature not present on the MM 141/181 models (post staff collector era). Small details like this lead me to believe that Paddy is building on the experience and even further improving on the quality of his previous models.

Just looked at a few photos there and I don't see any blanking plates on the cab sides of any of the GMs...

Highly unlikely, but could it be 082's nameplate?

As far as I know during the 90s all the 071 class had major cab rebuilds which

Replaced a large area under the cab side windows and cab floor and particulary around

the headlight area.The remaining token catcher plate seemed to disappear then or am I

wrong?.Was 082 the single loco that got name plates as Patrick said.

Have some photos of cab rebuilds in the albums-must get them out.

Have you a layout Rich? You should put up some pictures of it :)

I dismantled my last layout before my last house move and decided that for my next layout I would have a go at building the track to 21mm fine scale standards. I joined the Scalefour Society and when funds permitted I acquired the relevant track and wheel back to back gauge's, ply sleepers, steel bullhead and flat bottom rail, all the switch and vee crossing filing jigs, and I also purchased a templot license. I spent a lot of time photographing the Station building and signal box at Clonmel so I could make scale drawings. The plan was to draw up the track plan on Templot and begin building the track.

I had to take a back seat from modelling when my mother became terminally ill and I only really eased myself back into the hobby this year. We will be building a permanent home for the as yet to be built layout this year and when it is built the wood working will begin, and then the trackwork. It will be a slow build as all the track will be completely hand built to the correct gauge for 5 foot 3 inches. I spent a bit of time dyeing the ply sleepers a few years ago and they have faded a bit and it looks even more prototypical. When I begin building, a step by step account will be posted here. Everything is at the planing stage at the moment but I want to get everything in place before I begin so that progress doesn't get delayed. I will put up some photos of my scale drawings of the main station building in a workbench thread and I suppose I could build a length of track to use for testing the converted rolling stock and also stick that up in the thread as well.

Rich,

Just been checking some shots I have of the 071 class and a good few of them seem to have retained the plate that is present on the pre production pics in the IE and freight liveries.

072 has them

074 has then on one side only

078 has them

081 has them

082 has them

085 has them

088 has them

I haven't managed to find a pic of 083 so I can't tell if she retained them. 075 seemed to have escaped from the works in the freight livery without the IE logo on the cab fronts. I remember seeing 080 in IE livery with a rain strip above the cab windows that wasn't present on other members of the class.

Rich,

Just looked at a few photos there and I don't see any blanking plates on the cab sides of any of the GMs...

Highly unlikely, but could it be 082's nameplate?

Garfield-If you check out any late 1970's/1980's photos of the 071s in Supertrain livery,you can see that plate on some locos,I cant remember the name of the particular website,but I seen 077 with that plate,and also the publicity photo of 071 at Inchicore before entry into service has the plate visible.

Paddy Murphy has certainly set a very high standard of fine detail on these models of the 071/111 and well done to him for his time and effort in getting the detail just right.

Richie, knowing your attention to detail, I can't wait to see the photos. Roll on :cool:

I don't know Des, sometimes you get ideas and before you know it you're turning it into an obsession. I have been taking a look at Brassmaster point rodding, pulleys and all other matter of detailing bits and bobs. I like the look of the Colin Craig etches for trackwork also.

Rich,

The 071s & the NIR 11s were originally fitted with mounting/blanking plates for snatchers but I am not sure if the snatchers were actually fitted.

When the 071s were introduced they were rostered mainly to long distance main line passenger operation out of Heuston, occasionally showing up on the Enterprise and Connolly Rosslare passenger trains.

At the time snatcher opertion was mainly limited to non-stop trains on the Clonsilla & Mullingar section but the operation was discontinued in the early 1980s with the re-opening of Maynooth and the closure of a number of Block Posts.

When originally introduced the 071s seem to have painted in a darker richer shade of orange to that used by CIE and for severl years were banned from freight trains due to driver/union concerns with braking and traction.

John

Edited by Mayner

The bogie brake cylinders look very nice on the model. I hope that the model is a big success for PM and that the sales will allow him to produce more models in the future ie 121 class.

Rich,

Fingers crossed, Rich... that's the model I'd love to see above all else!

• 2 weeks later...

Love the photos of the Class 071/111 loco model. Howcome there are neither any up to date photos on the Murphy Models website nor and pre-production model to view in Marks Models? The IR livery used to be my favourite but I really love the 071 in the silver and black. Can't wait to get my hands on them, I'm going to purchase 10 (I'll have to say goodbye to my holiday and new [saorview ready] tv this year.