Freight in 93

Rate this topic

richrua

Back then my three favourite places to catch the numerous freight diagrams were limerick junction, Cork kent and gouldings in Waterford.Then again north esk and abbey junction were good spots as well. Waterford was unbelievably busy - lots of liners,cement,fertilisers,grain,beet,guiness. Cork had guiness,cements,liners,ammonias,ferts. After a few hours at limerick junction you d have marked off a lot of loco numbers.

Nice link garfield:tumbsup:

Edited by Riversuir226

My favorite time and that video really covers it all! Used to cycle down to St. Johns Road in the evening time in the early 90s and stand up on a little electrical box that just got me up on to the wall. My vantage point gave me great views over the busy Guinness sidings, and the mouth of the Phoenix park tunnel. All the West bound evening freight would come in a wave from about 7pm onwards, many stopping to have Guinness wagons added at Hueston. Man when I think of all the shunting and train movements back then, and compare to now! Oh crap, just realized I'm officially old! :-)

You can really see how major a role the Bell Company played in keeping the IE liner train network in business, huge disaster for IE Railfreight when they went bankrupt. Throw in the closure of Asahi and Nitrogen Eireann and over half the freight on that video has literally disappeared.

Interesting how positive the narrator Paul Shannon was about the Irish railfreight scene compared to British Rail. At the time BR was shutting down any freight traffic that did not achieve a certain rate of return, ten years later the situation was more or less reversed.

As some have stated already, these films from the early/mid 1990s were recorded by Colm O'Callaghan (it was a bit before my time! ;) )

There are more videos in the pipeline so please subscribe via this link for updates:

https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=Eiretrains

There is also a ) There are more videos in the pipeline so please subscribe via this link for updates.

https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=Eiretrains

There is also a [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtPbkXB4No&list=PLFB61F7D68CC79776'>playlist of similar material :tumbsup:

Edited by Eiretrains