Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

I redid the Control Panel Box making it larger and then brought all the wires from the Points into it, red (Storage) on the left hand side and blue (Main section) on the right with an area left for the remainder of the layout yet to be built.

KirleyJunction-Electrics004.jpg

If you think adding dropper wires was fun wait until you try this!

KirleyJunction-Electrics005.jpg

The lid for all the control switches has been covered in Perspex and switches for the Storage Section added. Now to connect it all up.

It seems ages since I ran a Train!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with the Control Board wiring. I’ve stayed away from it for a while but forced myself to go back to it.

KirleyJunctionElectrics005.jpg

It’s getting there but for every problem you solve another one develops.

KirleyJunctionElectrics006.jpg

Bridges of Kirley Junction

Still not finished yet but hopefully soon.

KirleyJunctionElectrics002.jpg

KirleyJunctionElectrics004.jpg

Guest hidden-agenda

Jeez K spaghetti junction comes to mind looking at that lot.It looks good when your looking at the panel but the back reminds me of the MIL with-out make up. SCARY.

Hi Kirley,

Just looking at that wiring brings back some nightmares. I know it's probably too late, but some advice for future reference would be to pair up your wires either with cable ties or some tape and label each pair with a number and then make a master list. For example Pair No.1 from CDU1 Terminals 1+2 to Point Motor 1, etc.

Just a suggestion. Love the layout.

Ger.

Hi Kirley,

Just looking at that wiring brings back some nightmares. I know it's probably too late, but some advice for future reference would be to pair up your wires either with cable ties or some tape and label each pair with a number and then make a master list. For example Pair No.1 from CDU1 Terminals 1+2 to Point Motor 1, etc.

Just a suggestion. Love the layout.

Ger.

Thanks Ger for your comments, all wires coming into the Control Box are connected to numbered connection blocks so all can be easily identified, it's just there are so many, go to switches, to LED's and to the Module Boards. Perhaps BosKonay is right about digital control!

Can't wait to see the new civil engineering masterpieces!

Two words for the wiring :) Computer. Control :)

I also can't wait to see the new civil engineering masterpieces!

I'm wiring Amiens Street for digital control - (which doesn't mean you have to go DCC for the layout itself if you don't want).

Simple, two wire bus for all motors, back to a Hornby Elite controller I had 'spare' into an oul PC, and running JMRI (though looking at options)

• 3 weeks later...

Work has continued on the Control Panel and cleaning and checking the Storage Section.

As a bit of light relief I pulled out my old Lima 217 and Galway rake. Then I tested my B107 in which I had placed a Class 24 sound chip. I followed IrishTrainman who was kind enough to offer his help and advice.

Sorry about the poor quality of the video, I had to use the old camera which has not the same picture quality.

After checking all the points were working and a cleanup of rails it was time to reload the Storage Section.

I "drove" every train from the upper section, down the helix to the Storage Section and it took me all afternoon.

Starting to think I might have too much stock!

[video=youtube;VST-Fj61OXU]