Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the Centre Section of my layout on a station area loosely based on Clonmel. It always amazes me the amount of space you need to model a real location and compromises have to be made. Rather than a straight run of track I had to curve the station area to fit into my layout.

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2337.jpg

This was mainly to allow the Goods Shed to fit into the available space, I had to move the points for the Goods Shed siding back three times before I got the proportions right.

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

The height of the shed is only a guess but the footprint is accurate, I hope to get some measurements soon.

I am planning to build it using Wills Rough Shone Sheets.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2348.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

That’s the most of the hard landscaping completed, now it’s time to wire up points and track and ballast the track before working on the platforms and buildings.

Nice one Kieran,your station reminds me more of Ennis now as its on a curve-a connection on the top left of the station could provide you with access to a freight yard,and an overbridge at the other end could provide a scenic break-check out Eiretrains photo site for details.

Well done.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the layout has slowed down. After a field trip to Clonmel I decided to do a mockup of the Goods Shed in Foam Board just to see what the construction involved and whether my guess measurements looked right when scaled down to 4mm's

IMG_2660.jpg

It's my first time using Foam Board and I found it easy to use.

IMG_2660.jpg

Not sure if I've got the width of these loading bays right.

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2661.jpg

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

Would anyone know if the loading bay base would have been on ground level?

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

Trying to get the overhand of the roof right, after the initial cut I reduced it some more.

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

I've ordered Wills Rough Stone sheets for the walls and Wills Slates for the roof. This will be my first time building from Wills other than their Kits. I'm sure it will not be so easy to work with as the Foam Board.

Kieran, the loading bays would also have been elevated like cahir, to make life easier regarding loading & unloading for lorries etc.

Cahir.jpg

I checked the drawings for your goods gable and it's spot on. The loading bay openings would have been 8 ft (32mm) wide and split in such away to avoid the trusses on the roof, so roof load wasnt displaced over the arch. Looks bang on to me.

0404 Clonmel Goods Shed-Model.jpg

You'll need to put some type of balsa wood roof truss (2) and ridge inside to support the foamboard or it will sag over time, but so far it's looking great.

Richie.

Work continues on a slow but steady pace on the Goods Shed with plenty of advice from Glenderg. The foam board has been given an outer skin of Wills Rough Stone Sheets and an inner skin of 1.5mm card.

IMG_2679GoodsShed.jpg

The quoins were 'fun' to do and my big concern was would the corners be square but it seems to have worked out alright.

IMG_2678GoodsShed.jpg

The quoins I used were from the Wills range but I'll have to cut out ones from plasticard for the top of the arches and window sills. After that I'll be tackling the roof, again with plenty of advice from Richie.

IMG_2677GoodsShed.jpg

Hi Kirley. I'm watching the progress of you layout with equal amounts of admiration and envy! As you said at the start of this thread, it's a lifetimes ambition finally being realized! Can you tell me how your shed has worked out while all the modeling has been going on? How is it in the cold weather/warm weather? Anything you would do different?!

Also, would you be willing to share a rough track plan of what you have in place? I'm amazed at how much you seem to have fitted in. I'm hoping to get round to kitting out a 16' x 9' room/shed (need to kit out the house first, shed is probably in better shape right now!) and I'm encouraged by how much diorama and scenery you have in that shed! Keep up the good work!

Dave182

Class work on the goods shed Kirley. It really is coming together. The 'cut stone' effect plasticard transformed it. Just wondering where did you source the foam board from? Is it something you source through a sign makers/printers or is it something you can pick up in a model shop?

Cheers Tom.

Hi Kirley. Can you tell me how your shed has worked out while all the modeling has been going on? How is it in the cold weather/warm weather? Anything you would do different?!

Also, would you be willing to share a rough track plan of what you have in place? I'm amazed at how much you seem to have fitted in. I'm hoping to get round to kitting out a 16' x 9' room/shed

Dave182

Thanks Dave, it was worth spending the time and money installing good insulation sheets on the shed walls which holds the heat in winter and keeping it cool in summer, well I’ve only this summer to go by for heat.

Would I do anything different – O yes I would plan out the layout in advance but unfortunately that is an ability that has passed me by. So I don’t have a track plan other than starting with a double loop of track close to the walls. I have a second double loop which crosses onto the centre section and a single track which operates on a lower level to the rest of the layout. All five tracks are connected via points (a lot of points) back to the helix which leads down to the storage section about 9” underneath the layout.

If you trawl through this thread you will see how the layout has evolved and it was a case of seeing what fitted in the space I had available rather than any master plan. BosKonay’s layout for one, is a good example of what you can do with good planning.

Just wondering where did you source the foam board from? Is it something you source through a sign makers/printers or is it something you can pick up in a model shop?

Cheers Tom.

Hi Tom, you can get foam board in any good stationery shop, I know Eason's stock them.

Lovely work Kieran, I didn't get a chance to get to Clonmel last month, but you have everything you need after your own trip. I couldn't fault your work on the shed and it already looks very familiar to me. I can't wait to see the main Station buildings.

Rich,

Work continues on the Goods Shed. I have completed the arches, sills and chimney stack and now have moved onto the roof.

IMG_2685.jpg

My architectural advisor recommended I use 4 x 2 mm balsa for the roof structures but I could only source locally 6 x3 mm strips.

It's my first time working with balsa and like everything else in modelling there are techniques special to each material and the only way to pick them up is by practice and error.

IMG_2684.jpg

My end results are a bit agriculture looking so I hit on the idea of splitting the 6 mm in half which is not as easy as it sounds. I will use them for the purlins running length wise and will redo the trusses.

IMG_2687.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

In the last photograph you can see the trusses crossing the window opening which in a real building would not happen. Not sure of any way round this for me at this stage of the build so I'll just have to live with it.

IMG_2688.jpg

Working on the platforms. I used a router to give the platform an overhanging edge.

Unfortunately I did this in the shed which resulted in dust everywhere.

IMG_2698.jpg

There is a deep wall running on the platform opposite the Station building. I decided to experiment using modelling clay. I rolled it out and then put thin strips on the plywood wall after

coating it in PVA. I then used a sheet of Wills Rough Stone to make an impression on the clay. It resulted in giving a faint impression. I’ll have to wait until it dries to see how effective this method is.

IMG_2695.jpg

The four walls on the Goods Shed are completed along with the roof trusses. It still has to be glued together. I should have completed the slate roof by now but you may have noticed I have been doing other things rather than tackling the roof. As the roof will be the most visible part of the Shed I suppose I am reluctant to do it in case I make a mess of it.

IMG_2691.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

There is a Walled Yard between the Station and the Goods Shed, currently used to park buses. Again I’m using a plywood base which I’ll attach Rough Stone Wills sheets to it.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

I intend to do the bridge in Wills Rough Stone Sheets and have started with a plywood base. Not sure how high bridge parapets should be, I have done these about 4 feet high.

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Must make the roof the next thing to do.