Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still working on the Yard. I decided to have a local control point just for the Yard and am using the old pin and stud method for the points.

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

I also added another backdrop panel behind the Loco Shed to block the view of Kirley Junction Station behind it. Still have to get a suitable picture to add to it.

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working away on Kirley Junction but it was mostly under the baseboard work including points control and lights for the Yard.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

P1010856.jpg

I got 2 A Class Kits at Christmas and have been working on their chassis which have been modified from Hornby Class 55 locomotives. I have hoped to resolved the traction problem by using all the weights on the Class 55 on the modified chassis.

Test runs on my layout, which have quite steep inclines, show that extra weight is required on the front bogie to pull a rake on heavy Tara Wagons up my steepest inclines and keep going.

Here is a video of some of the test runs and a quick over view of where the Layout is at. Warning -it's a bit longer that my usual videos at 4 mins.

• Like 1

Did you try two extra tires on the A class or

are you happy with extra weight.

I'm still experimenting with the weights Eamonn. Following your suggestion I ordered the Marklin tyres which arrived on Saturday from Holland. The plastic bag made it as far as the shed but has gone missing and the follow up searches have failed to locate it. The main suspect (scapegoat) is my puppy which grabs anything on the floor and high tails it to the shrubbery.

Clonmel yard is looking really well Kirley, lovely track work and tidy looking electricals. Very jealous.

Just out of interest, is the donor chassis your using for your A-class the current one I see available at Hattons at a pretty reasonable price? Class 55 St Paddy by any chance? Have a silver fox kit lurking in the projects box... requires a suitable donor!

Cheers, Tom :D

.Just out of interest, is the donor chassis your using for your A-class the current one I see available at Hattons at a pretty reasonable price? Class 55 St Paddy by any chance? Have a silver fox kit lurking in the projects box... requires a suitable donor!

Cheers, Tom :D

Yes Tom, both are Hornby Class 55 chassis, not the best of motors, but if you don't have severe inclines like mine then it should do the job.

IMG_3194.jpg

Clonmel Station has arrived, collected from Wrenneire, Warbonnet & garfieldsghost who were on a pilgrimage to Downpatrick on a very rainy afternoon.

IMG_3189.jpg

Glenderg is the builder and has done a fantastic job capturing the spirit of this very ornate building. Just study the small intricate details he has added to this model.

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

One of his big worries is how it would match in the Bachmann Clonmel Station (in reality the Booking Office) but the scale and appearance of his model complement the Bachmann one.

IMG_3193.jpg

It's not completely finished, guttering and drain pipes have still to be added. Also there are two other buildings, the Ladies and Gents toilets denoted by the two pieces of card in the pictures. Also a wall around the Station Masters house (left hand side of the model) which will be adjacent to the yard wall -now the bus yard.

IMG_3191.jpg

IMG_3186.jpg

The footbridge will have to be lowered to be in proportion to the station building and finish off with signage, lights and signals. But I'm getting away ahead of myself, I'm content just to savor this latest addition to Clonmel Station.

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

Here's photographs of the real thing for comparison.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2588.jpg