Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

That is a superb piece of workmanship and from your real life photo's it really captures the original perfectly,the whole model station just oozes atmosphere,as does your whole layout overall.The final real life photo gives a great guide as to how much you need to lower the footbridge,which looks like the original also,is it a bought or handmade model?Super stuff as always Kieran.

Cheers lads. Yeah Sean, it's all wills sheet and evergreen styrene strip for the walls and cills, styrene surrounds for the windows and doors, and scored acetate for the roof tiles. There's just a bit of card on the inside for the primary structure, but it's mostly heart and blade breaking wills sheet. R.

• 2 weeks later...

Work still continues on Clonmel Station buildings.

Between the buildings and the bridge there is a wall with access through it to a shed.

IMG_2613.jpg

This is a rough copy to imitate what's there.

IMG_3272.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

An undercoat of grey.

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

I still have to add some stone effect and paint the back wall as well as add some detail and paint the shed.

The gap between the wall and the Booking Hall is for the Gent's toilet building which Glenderg is finishing off along with another connecting building on the far side of the booking hall.

• 2 weeks later...

My Station buildings started with the Bachmann Clonmel Station (in reality it was only the Booking Hall) and commissioned Glenderg to construct the main station building. All the Clonmel buildings are in a straight line but because I had not enough space on my layout I designed the station to be on a curve.

The Main Station building was connected by the "Ladies" block to the Booking Hall with the "Gents" on the far side. Because of the Station being on a curve it was going to be difficult to join these building as you had to get the angles right.

It was decided that Glenderg would supply the two walls of the "Ladies" and the rest of the construction would be done on site.

IMG_0453.jpg

Rail side wall

IMG_0454.jpg

Road side wall

IMG_0455.jpg

You can see what I mean about difficult angles.

IMG_0457.jpg

Here you can see if I followed the ridge line the roof on the "Ladies" would not look right.

IMG_0460.jpg

I moved the ridge line to the front of the chimney and it seems to work OK.

IMG_0463.jpg

Paper template cut for the roof

IMG_0466.jpg

Roof in place and gully filled with DAS clay filler.

IMG_0467.jpg

Ridge tiles added.

IMG_0469.jpg

You can't see the join -hopefully.

IMG_0470.jpg

Relieved to get the ridge line level with the one on the Booking Hall.

IMG_3294.jpg

I finished off the remaining buildings and did a preliminary coat of paint. Here is the line of Station buildings.

IMG_3295.jpg

The Shed roof still has to be put in place.

IMG_3296.jpg

Booking Hall to the left and the "Gent" building adjoining.

IMG_3297.jpg

Showing the "Ladies" which links the main Station Building with the Bachmann's Booking Hall.

IMG_3298.jpg

Very pleased the way these buildings link together -credit to Glenderg.

IMG_3299.jpg

Showing the Main Station building and on its left the wall of the Station Master's Yard.

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

Showing the Lean-to Shed in the yard (Glenderg build)

IMG_3304.jpg

Front entrance of the Main Station Building, some window frames still to go in. You will notice the roof paint is on the heavy side but since the photograph was taken I have reduced it to allow the roof tile details to show through.

IMG_3302.jpg

Shows the Road side view of the link building ("Ladies")

IMG_3301.jpg

Showing the rear of the Gent's building and Shed.

Still more detailing to do before I install it on the layout but it's getting there.

I finally finished wiring up lights for the Station buildings so here's a few pictures to see how they turned out.

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_3311.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_3313.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

The camera is very unforgiving and picked up things I did not notice with the naked eye:

Gaps between the bottom of buildings need to be sealed to prevent light spillage.

The semi gloss back scene reflects the lights, not sure if a matt varnish would cure the reflective properties?

The white lights in the main station building is too harsh and would need toned down.

It's always the same just when you think you have a job finished you realise there's still lots to do.