Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Started on 'concrete' laying, well using Smooth-It . Like everything new using something for the first time is a learning experience.

IMG_0220.jpg

Sub floor looks a bit ropy.

IMG_0221.jpg

Once it started to dry I ran the plastic leveller alongside the inside rails.

IMG_0222.jpg

This was after two coats of Smooth-It.

IMG_0224.jpg

Today I completed the preparations for the road and the container yard area.

IMG_0225.jpg

Finished off the Loco Shed area and the road to the Container Yard.

IMG_0226.jpg

Completed the Container Crane build and now have to install rails for it to run on.

IMG_0227.jpg

I have a length of Fine Scale rail which will fit the Container Crane wheels better then 00 rail. Thinking of cutting it down the centre and placing a rail along with half sleepers on each side of the Crane before 'concreting' it in. Not sure how it will work out but will have a go over the weekend.

IMG_0228.jpg

Cut the length of finescale track down the centre and positioned it on the baseboard.

IMG_0229.jpg

I need to get the tracks to stay straight which is not so easy when you only have a single track.

IMG_0230.jpg

Container flat and lorry used to get the clearances right.

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

Used glue to stick the track down and improvised some gauges to keep the track parallel to each other.

IMG_0233.jpg

Once dry I'll pin some of the sleepers to the baseboard to prevent any movement when the 'concrete' is applied.

IMG_0234.jpg

Finished laying the 'concreted' areas and roadway. Went back over areas already done and filled in any imperfections with a 'runny' mix.

IMG_0238.jpg

After it has sufficiently dried it will be time to sand the surface and paint it. Then the big test - will the trains run alright on the concreted lines?

IMG_0240.jpg

A lot of work done since the last update but it does not look it.

I painted the concrete areas with Woodcraft concrete paint but it looks very light to me, still thinking what to do with it. The Woodcraft Tarmac colour is excellent.

IMG_0255.jpg

I filled in all the spaces between the tracks with spare bits of plywood, it's like making your own jigsaw.

IMG_0254.jpg

Starting to ballast the tracks, I spray alcohol onto the ballast before applying the PVA + water mix and can only do a bit at a time because of the fumes.

IMG_0259.jpg

The centre area is very fine ballast put down on top of a spread of PVA mix.

IMG_0258.jpg

Finishing off kits for a Fuelling Point, Oil Tanks and the Container Crane.

Excellent work on the TMD, hard standing, roadways, and container crane (that's particularly interesting to me)... it's really coming together. There is quiet a nice sweep / flow to the layout which adds to the realism. Top stuff as always :-bd

How did you find the Woodland scenics 'smooth it' like to work with?

Cheers, Tom.

Edited by Shinkansen

• 2 weeks later...

Well the end of the Centre Section is nearly complete with all the hard landscaping finished.

This includes the Loco Shed, Refuelling Point, Oil Depot, Container Yard and a Haulage Contractor's base that managed to squeeze itself in. The Security Fence was fun to do, very fiddly. The wooded area on the entrance road to the Yard helps to disguise the fact the road goes nowhere.

I've added lights, mostly LED's but bought two Yard Lights for the Haulage Contractor's Base but was very disappointed in them, you have to look closely to see if they are on. Might convert them to LED's sometime when I've nothing to do.

Needed Transport and with the help of a very experienced ex Trucker who showed me ways of making trailers from RTR stock.

I'll just fire up some pictures and let you see what I've been up to.

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2875.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2878.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

IMG_2888.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

IMG_2914.jpg

IMG_2916.jpg

Lots of bits to finish yet but most of all the Station build undertaken by Glenderg is still outstanding. I'll not be able to finish off the Station area until I have it in place.

Superb work again Kieran,your layout is fantastic and one any of us would be proud of.Favourite photo shot,strangely for me is the McCulla truck entering the level crossing from behind the trees,with the different foliage colouring of the trees and the bright colouring of the truck along with the partly hidden houses and the ballasting and track looking great in front of it all,just pure magic