Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Do you have any trouble with trains pulling up that incline shown in the first picture? Would like a similar 'crossover' rail bridge on my layout to add interest but have limited space. I do reckon a gentle gradient may be possible.

Tom, I've pulled a rake of 8 Mk 3's up that incline at a gentle speed with no problems.

On the lower single track section I added another storage area. (Can you ever have enough?)

KirleyJunctionBridges001-1.jpg

I’ve used one of Glenderg’s bridge surround to hide to storage section.

KirleyJunctionBridges002-1.jpg

KirleyJunctionBridges003-2.jpg

KirleyJunctionBridges004-2.jpg

Still to ballast and do the scenics in this area. I’ve done a roadway to the small loading bay on the opposite side of the track.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my second lifting bridge taking the track onto the middle section.

KirleyJunctionUpdate12.jpg

I have installed cross over points on the bridge as it was a shame to not use the straight length of track.

KirleyJunctionUpdate15.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate16.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate18.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate19.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate22.jpg

The Halt Cutting

Bread delivery at the Halt Cutting. A Jeep has brought the early morning delivery of bread containers to this goods platform.

KirleyJunctionUpdate1.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate3.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate4.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate5.jpg

An old Ransomes Rapier 6Ton Mobile Crane was send down from Grosvenor Road Goods Yard to speed up the collection and dispatch of the bread containers.

KirleyJunctionUpdate7.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate9.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate10.jpg

KirleyJunctionUpdate24.jpg

The wagons courtesy of PM and the Ransomes Crane by Langley Models.

Edited by Kirley

How did you do the rocks they look spot on.

It quite straight forward, just plaster of Paris bandage with fillers behind it(newspaper, polystyrene, foam packing, whatever is to hand). When dry I paint it grey. Later I would pour on PVA glue/water mixture and use scenic materials to cover. Any sheer areas are left giving that exposed rock look. See previous post in this section where the painted Plaster of Paris can be seen.

• 1 month later...

I have been pondering for some time of what to do with the Centre Section of my layout but knew I wanted another station. My original thoughts were to do a City/Large Town Station but could not make up my mind.

Last month I came across the Bachmann Irish Stone Station which I never bought because I thought it was too small for my idea of a Station. Then I discovered it was modelled on Clonmel Station so I looked it up on Ciaran Cooey’s excellent site:

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20C/Clonmel/IrishRailwayStations.html.

I was delighted to see the Bachmann Station was only a part of the Station buildings and that made up my mind to use the Bachmann model as a base and build the rest of the Station to join it.

ClonmelRailwayStation4.jpg

Glenderg has taken on the commission and from the footprint drawings he sent me I cut out a pattern to see how it would look on the layout.

IMG_2234.jpg

There is a Goods Shed on the Station Site and using the measurements Richie gave me I also made a pattern of its shape to see if would fit into my layout also.

IMG_2236.jpg

I may consider putting the Station on the curve section of track which would allow a greater distance between the Good Shed and the Station Buildings.

IMG_2235.jpg

I got a Bachmann Station this week and using photographs of the Station I have tried to do a mock-up of how the two parts would look together.

IMG_2244.jpg

I know the perspective is wrong as my skills in photography is limited so the blowing-up of 3 photographs and merge them together at approximately the right scale is not very accurate.

IMG_2243a.jpg

It gives a rough idea but the Bachmann Model seems out of scale to the real thing (which Glenderg already hinted at). However I am hoping that a compromise can be made.

IMG_2245a.jpg

There was a Signal Cabin opposite the Goods Shed at Clonmel and I think my Bachmann one would fit in there nicely.

P1010654-1.jpg

Lots of issues to be sorted out but at least a decision has been made.

Edited by Kirley

Finally the day has arrived and I have completed all the bridges in the1st phase of my layout build.

My method of operation was to rough build the structure and get Glenderg to come up with a suitable covering. It's not a method I would recommend especially if you are not totally accurate (like me) in your measurements down to the last mm.

The Station Bridge was awkward in that it was curved and had a rail and road bridge.

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2285.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

A mistake in a earlier attempt at a bridge surround was utilised in the entrance to the centre storage sidings. (Nothing was wasted).

IMG_2288.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

The long stretch of wall between these bridges was broken up by the use of pillars and posters.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

Glenderg provided Stone textured papers and coping stones for the walls.

IMG_2292.jpg

It's amazing how some posters date so quickly.

IMG_2293.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

The Helix Entrance was an idea from Glenderg and while the layout was not built to have a helix entrance I had to come up with something to complement Glenderg's construction.

The first go had to be rejected as I failed to allow the swing out in the rolling stock when doing the measurements.

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

Richie came up with a revised entrance.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

I like his little touches as shown in the year of build displayed in Roman Numerals.

IMG_2307.jpg

The rest of the pictures shows a test runs to see all the clearances for Mark iii's worked.

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

It's being a long road to get to this stage but I am delighted with the results.

Now to move onto the Centre Section including a Clonmel type Station.