Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Clonmel Goods Shed, well one that's adapted to my layout, is finished. As my first venture into making a building I am quite pleased the way it turned out.

Mistakes were made but I'm not going to point them out.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

Sorry for the quality of some of the photographs

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2722.jpg

I used Wills drainpipes and guttering.

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

A start made on doing the stone work for the bridge. Need to order some more sheets to continue the work.

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2731a.jpg

Well done Kirley, great character in it, it just has the right stone "feel" about it.

I like the stone shading, the capping on the roof and the window detailing. All those little bits add up and give it that extra dose of verysimilitude.

You may have mentioned already, but what stone sheets did you use?

Guest hidden-agenda

Excellent finish K. I am very impressed with the end result and you deserve the credit for what you have done. I am sure it will encourage others to try and make buildings using the same methods you have adopted.

Guest hidden-agenda
Absolutely stunning - it has a lovely solid presence in the scene!

That's the beauty of plastics and wills have a good range of materials so any building is possible with some thought and planning.

I saw Bren's new station buildings last week which used card sheets. Looked very effective to me. Richie's buildings always look top notch too. I think both have their merits.

Cardboard is OK from a distance but when you are doing a building or bridge that is close to you on a layout like K is doing its hard to beat that 3d effect that the Wills gives you. Then you have the extra build quality of plastic that you don't have with cardboard in that it won't fall apart over time.

Cardboard is OK from a distance but when you are doing a building or bridge that is close to you on a layout like K is doing its hard to beat that 3d effect that the Wills gives you. Then you have the extra build quality of plastic that you don't have with cardboard in that it won't fall apart over time.

Agree on 3D, but that can be enhanced with extra card like cornerstones etc to give it a 3D effect. Card can be remarkably strong too, look at Brendan's old bridge for instance. Didn't fall apart until he took a sledge to it and even then it put up a fight.

I thought A4s old bridge was plastic x timber paper or card wouldn,t need a hammer to brake it but a hell of a nice job he made of it.

No plastic at all involved would you believe Gareth. It was fantastic and there are plenty on here who can work wonders with a bit of card. It's great to see different techniques used as in Kirleys case. As Bosko says lets return to the workbench. Apologies for playing my part in going off topic there!

Thanks for the kind comments, just back and catching up.

The build’s success was mainly down to two things, lots and lots of detailed photographs and guidance from Glenderg. Working out distances, heights, spacing of openings, and construction of roof trusses for me all lead to a better representation of this lovely old building.

I ended up with a love/hate relationship with the Wills sheets. While the textured surface is fantastic they only make the sheets in one size 13 x 7.5 mm which means lots of joins and they are difficult to hide. The slate roof was a case in point.

However the extras like the quoins, gutters and down pipes were great.

Now on with the bridge.

When I got back from my holiday my order of more Wills Sheets had arrived so I was able to complete the road bridge at the end of Clonmel Station.

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Between the Station buildings and the Goods Shed there is a yard enclosed by high stone walls. This is the start of a representation of it.

IMG_2749.jpg

The road bed of the bridge – to infinity and beyond!

IMG_2750.jpg

The Wills cladding was sprayed with Halfords u/c grey. Then I dry brushed the surface with white/black/yellow/red acrylic paints.

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

The capping on top of the walls is made from plastic card, scribed to give a appearance of separate stones.

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

The enclosed yard has still to be finished. I have run out of sheets and will try all the off-cuts to see if I can complete the internal surfaces. I am going to try DAS modelling clay to give a rounded top to the walls.

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg