Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

• 2 weeks later...

Backdrop Clonmel Station.

When I visited Clonmel back in August I took some photographs of the landscape behind the Station with the intention of using them for the backdrop.

I came across a Microsoft program that stitches photographs together and negotiated with a local printer to do a roll over 200cm long. (See Tips & Tricks Section for details).

I painted the backdrop white with a little hints of blue and the bottom a dark colour.

IMG_0155.jpg

The main part of the backdrop was of the Slievenamon Mountains, at least I think that's what they are called.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

I also took photographs of the row of shops opposite the Station entrance and stitched them together and had a print of those also.

IMG_0158.jpg

I pasted the shop collage on a piece of card but am not happy with the results.

IMG_0159.jpg

I have decided on cutting out the shop fronts on card and painting them but getting the scale right is causing me problems.

IMG_2785.jpg

At least the mountain backdrop looks quite good, to my eyes anyway.

IMG_2786.jpg

While I await the arrival of the main station building for Clonmel I made a start on the last area of the layout which after many different ideas will become a Yard and Loco Depot.

IMG_2782.jpg

I had forgotten just what a pain it is to cut out a recess for a point, attach a point motor, a point accessory switch and solder the necessary wires and run command cables to the control board. The time it took to do just one was a good hour and there is eight points on this section. That's not counting the drilling, cutting, soldering and connections all the droppers.

IMG_2783.jpg

The Loco Shed has moved from the old attic layout to this new location.

IMG_2784.jpg

I'm thinking a re-fuelling point and a container loading area but it's all to be confirmed yet.

IMG_2787.jpg

Waiting on new supplies before completing the basic track layout. I was wondering if anyone has used Woodland Scenics Smooth-IT for concreted areas, my main concern would be cracks forming after it had dried?

IMG_2788.jpg

I've used smooth it Kieran, and planning it for a large stretch of hardstanding in my freight yard.

I think it has a plasticizer in it, as there are no cracks and its 'slightly' flexible when set. I'd recommend it, but I'd also recommend polyfilla 'smooth' or 'non sand' which is a plasticy plaster too. (and a bit cheaper :) )

Looks like your yard and shed will be a nice finishing touch to the layout.The layout,with the recent station addition has a great flow to it,so when you finalise your final track plan for the yard and shed don't be tempted to try and cram too much in,a nice spacious shed to display some loco's would look great.Brilliant job with the layout Kieran,it is one to be proud off.

I've used smooth it Kieran, and planning it for a large stretch of hardstanding in my freight yard.

I think it has a plasticizer in it, as there are no cracks and its 'slightly' flexible when set. I'd recommend it, but I'd also recommend polyfilla 'smooth' or 'non sand' which is a plasticy plaster too. (and a bit cheaper :) )

Thanks Stephen for the feedback. I had a look at the Polyfilla range and could not find one that fitted your description, can you give the exact name please?

This is the lad

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/Ronseal-Smooth-Finish-Super-Flexible-Filler-300ml/11674/1.10.1#.UmwO2ySHm9Y

Goes down like normal polyfilla, but sets to a slightly rubbery finish. Smooth it out well when laying, and it naturally levels/settles a bit too. The result is very firm and flexible, no cracks, ready for painting.

I'm also trying a section with grey tile grout at the moment - will post updates once it sets!

Started work on completing the backdrop for the Central area, nice to be doing some woodwork again, it is so forgiving.

IMG_0163.jpg

The brown sheet is hardboard and flexible to attach in a curve to avoid a right angle.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I see my new lorry only arrived from the distributors and has a broken headlight, must be the poor roads.

IMG_0167.jpg

I filled the joints and applied a first coat of paint.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

The final view is the mess I usually work in. Wiring up the last points, thank goodness.

IMG_0173.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the backdrop behind Clonmel Station with just a few touch ups to merge any joins to do.

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Yard Work

IMG_0217.jpg

All track laid, droppers connected and track work tested.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

Bumper stops fitted, used 3 types, Prose with built in warning light behind the Loco Shed, Peco rail buffers and then Peco with pieces of rail as the buffer stop, trying to copy photo as supplied by Riversuir.

IMG_0214.jpg

Next will be putting down some concreted areas starting with the Loco Shed.

IMG_0211.jpg