Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

I've got the signals but how do you drill a .04 mm hole in the brass rod provided that's my problem at the moment?

Maybe use some 2mm thin walled rod Kieran, put some masking tape around the spot to be drilled and it will stop the drill bit from slipping. The same would apply to using the supplied rod. It takes patience, but it is worth it as they are super little kit's.

Rich,

Just realised its being over a month since I have run any Trains on the layout. Getting a rake of Tara Wagons from Hidden-Agenda was the excuse to stop working on Clonmel Station and move something round the tracks.

The engineering skills of Gareth are clearly seen in the fine detail he puts in each of his models and is as a true reflection of the real thing as you can get in the modelling world. But see for yourself.

I've got the signals but how do you drill a .04 mm hole in the brass rod provided that's my problem at the moment?

Kirley, have a word with Glenderg, he's done wonders in putting the SSM signals together.

I'll adjust the instructions to say that 0.5mm is acceptable. A pin vice and a selection of Maplin mini drill bits (0.4-1.2mm) will sort you out for fine drilling.

On the stone bridge, I thought I'd commented already, but just to reiterate, it really looks the business. Great choice of material and you've integrated it very realistically into the layout. Lovely work!

Edited by Weshty

After running my new Tara's it's back to the grindstone again.

I finished coating the platform wall with DAS clay and used the Wills Plastic Card to give a rough stone impression.

IMG_0084.jpg

The coping stones on the top of the wall was made of 2 mm plastic card scribed every 5 mm. It's strange how a photograph can show you what the naked eyes does not see - need to file a smoother curve on the coping stones passed the recess.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

I finished the Yard Walls, again with DAS clay, and am waiting for it to dry before smoothing it off into a rounded top.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

The grey recess area was the first go at using the Wills Sheet to make an impression and not very successful but for the later ones I coated the plastic sheet with PVA/water 50% mix and it allowed the sheet to come away more cleanly.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

You may have noticed I have erected a backboard behind the Station area so to block out the other parts of the layout.

IMG_0093.jpg

Next job will be painting the walls and platforms before screwing it to the baseboard and filling in any gaps.

Waiting on the Station Building currently under construction by Glenderg

There is some great footage of Clonmel during the 1990's on the Markle beet dvd with some interesting shunting movements. I do know that MK111's ran through there on PP services with 201's for Knock specials. I think there was a normal MK111 rake also used on other specials, it may have been hauled by an 071. A couple of Cravens set's with 2 coaches and GSV + a baby will look sweet and prototypical, as well as being more appealing than plastics. Mind you if D&M ever decide to do a 2700 I might have my arm twisted.

Night shot's look great by the way.

Rich,

Love that Reverse curve up the Station. Wow. Trains going though that must look fab.

On a small note I would maybe take the Height of the footbridge down a wee bit as it looks a bit too high on the platform.

see the pic on this link: http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20C/Campile/slides/Campile_20101019_002_CC_JA.html

On a small note I would maybe take the Height of the footbridge down a wee bit as it looks a bit too high on the platform.

see the pic on this link: http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20C/Campile/slides/Campile_20101019_002_CC_JA.html

Thanks for your comments and advice George. However the Station is still a work in progress.

Glenderg is currently building the main Station building and I will use it (as shown in the photo below) together with the clearance of my highest Loco as the level for the footbridge.

A piece of useless trivial that I learned from my visit to Clonmel was that the steps of this footbridge used to faced the other way.

IMG_2621a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Busy time at the Goods Shed with lots going on.

P1010772.jpg

With the current warm spell the vegetation at Clonmel has sprouted.

P1010773.jpg

P1010774.jpg

P1010775.jpg

P1010776.jpg

Cement Trains running through.

P1010777.jpg

P1010780.jpg

P1010778.jpg

P1010779.jpg

JCB coming off the Low-loader.

A short video clip showing the action.