Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Short video of my new Mark 3 Rake in SuperTrain livery

A class - vacuum loco,mk3 air,I did see 013 try and couple to mk2s when new in Heuston one morning ended up telling shunter loco vac coaches air they took I think it was 073 off 0800 Galway and put it on mk2s on 0740 Waterford.

M

Hhmmm, Kieran, from the scene at your "cattle" dock -

I see you need GNR double decker sheep wagons AND

from the bulls being loaded, you need a Prize Cattle wagon?

- we'll get to work on them - they looked fairly like the standard cattle.

The opening door is great - I must try and do the same for one of my 9 ton vans!

Just terrific all round. Well done.

Leslie

Got my Canopy from Glenderg but I have to do a few minor bits and pieces before I glue it to the station and the station to the platform.

P1010219_zps0a17047e.jpg

I’ve done the scenic work from there round to the Cattle Pens but can’t finish the level crossing until I get the new bridge covering from Glenderg. All other scenic work has been finished in the Cattle Pens area.

I’ve covered it in a short video showing No. 74 Class 70 railcar.

Got my Canopy from Glenderg but I have to do a few minor bits and pieces before I glue it to the station and the station to the platform.

P1010219_zps0a17047e.jpg

I’ve done the scenic work from there round to the Cattle Pens but can’t finish the level crossing until I get the new bridge covering from Glenderg. All other scenic work has been finished in the Cattle Pens area.

I’ve covered it in a short video showing No. 74 Class 70 railcar.

i love the station building. Is it a scratch build or kit?

• 2 weeks later...

At last I finally finished the scenics round the outside of the layout with the main aim to merge the layout with the backdrop to create an illusion of distance.

But first some photos of Kirley junction Station with the front canopy attached (courtesy of Glenderg).

KirleyJunctionScenics001.jpg

KirleyJunctionScenics002.jpg

This image shows the rear of the station with another of Glenderg’s canopies.

KirleyJunctionScenics003.jpg

Now we come to the top right hand corner of the layout. I raised the level to give more prominence to this corner scene. It’s an unpainted Hornby bungalow with a Hornby Gospel Hall opposite.

KirleyJunctionScenics005.jpg

It was a windy day and the lady of the house was pleased to see the sheets on the cloth line dried so quickly.

KirleyJunctionScenics006.jpg

The members of the Gospel Hall made sure a sign spreading the “Good Word” was visible to all rail passengers.

KirleyJunctionScenics007.jpg

The stone walls are from Jarvis.

KirleyJunctionScenics008.jpg

Not quite a “Little House on the Prairie”, but there is a little house there for convenience purposes.

KirleyJunctionScenics010.jpg

The wire fence comes from Ten Commandments, the wire is .025 fishing line and is the devil to thread the five strands.

KirleyJunctionScenics014.jpg

The final corner was filled with models from an American Card book of an Irish Village. I made this last year and wanted to squeeze it in somehow.

KirleyJunctionScenics017.jpg

It’s known as Castleton Corner and was doing well with tourists before the recession hit.

KirleyJunctionScenics020.jpg

Not too many people about it today!

KirleyJunctionScenics022.jpg

There’s Eamonn on his way into town, hoping to get a cup of tea at the local hotel.

KirleyJunctionScenics023.jpg

The stone walls are from Ten Commandments.

KirleyJunctionScenics024.jpg

The last train is due shortly before the station closes down for the night.

KirleyJunctionScenics028.jpg

Brilliant Kirley. I love the rural scenes and there is a great sense of depth with that curve and back-scene. The gospel hall and trad Irish village are very authentic looking and the station canopy also looks superb. The use of fishing line is a great idea and top marks to the lady hanging out the washing on a typical windy Irish day.

Kieran, looking stunning all told, and I love the little stories surrounding the layout. The recession hit "plashtic paddy" village made me howl. How true! I'll have to send you up some trim for the base so you can eliminate the shadow gap between the platform and base, and some collars for the canopy supports, so you can raise it up level.

Richie.

It has always been said a picture speaks a thousand words and the photo's above tell a story so vividly.The station has a real GNRI feel about it and looks totally at home in its surroundings.The house with the washing line really blends in well with the backscene,you can taste the realism.The Gospel Hall is a brilliant piece of modelling with a nice touch and the Irish village down on its luck is pure magic.Superb modelling and a fantastic layout Kirley,well done.

With all the ongoing scenic work track maintenance was neglected. So it was the ideal opportunity to try out my new CMX Clean machine. First I cleaned all the rails with a drywall mesh wrapped around a piece of wood. Then using nail polish remover (NPR) I dampened a paper towel and laid it over the tracks. Then holding the locomotive on the paper towel with power on, the wheels are cleaned with the NPR as you can see by the residue left on the towel.

KirleyJunction-Maintenance.jpg

The Clean machine was easy to use, top it up with NPR and slowly haul it round your tracks. I have turned it on its side so as you can see the dirt it lifted.

This post was originally posted on Sunday but was lost when maintenance on the site was carried out.

I’ve been putting off the onerous job of connecting all my points to a central control panel until now. I had all the wires running through the layout and the first job was to get them across the floor area so I made this trunking.

KirleyJunctionElectrics001.jpg

To take them up the Control Panel base wires were encased in the framework and emerge inside the Control Panel base. I am still not decided on the size of this base.

KirleyJunctionElectrics002.jpg

As all my Storage Section is out of sight I need to know what direction the points are facing so I got these contraptions but have yet to work out how the correctly wire them.

KirleyJunctionElectrics003.jpg

This post was originally posted on Sunday but was lost when maintenance on the site was carried out.

I’ve been putting off the onerous job of connecting all my points to a central control panel until now. I had all the wires running through the layout and the first job was to get them across the floor area so I made this trunking.

KirleyJunctionElectrics001.jpg

To take them up the Control Panel base wires were encased in the framework and emerge inside the Control Panel base. I am still not decided on the size of this base.

KirleyJunctionElectrics002.jpg

As all my Storage Section is out of sight I need to know what direction the points are facing so I got these contraptions but have yet to work out how the correctly wire them.

KirleyJunctionElectrics003.jpg

For your Information Kirley - I viewed these before I am not sure when, but they where there and must have disappeared after site maintainence. No you are not going mad :tumbsup:

Edited by kevrail