Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Kieran, pardon my ignorance in these matters, but why did you have to change the chassis, Fantastic piece of work btw. :confused:

Kieran, I've been looking at your this tread again, & I have another question for you if you don't mind, what size is your shed in ft & in please, as I'm now seriously, very seriously thinking of starting to get going on my layout, I know I have a while to go just yet, but your total inspiritational workmanship in building your mega layout has really got me to start doing something now, even if it's only putting something on paper !

• 2 weeks later...

A train of Flat Wagons by MIR, Hornby Conversions and five SSM's new 42' Flat Wagons getting a run round Kirley Junction.

As you can see in the video I got some wheel slippage from 086, a first on my layout from an 071 Class. I have some testing inclines on my layout and I think the two barrier wagons at the end were the cause.

Each Barrier Wagon (including Flat Wagon) weighs 184 grams against the 071 weighting in at 503 grams. I hope Weshty's Ammonium Tankers are light in weight otherwise I might have difficulties on some sections of my layout.

Kirley,

The Ammonias are indeed lighter, at c.150g.

Thanks Des. I wonder if anyone has done a weight test on a 071, i.e. what weight can it pull on the level, that would be interesting? An Ammonium Train, 6 tankers @ 900g + 2 Barrier Wagons @ 368g =1268g, I might have run mine downhill only.

I don't know, my build was a generic one, I did not plan ahead which was not a good idea but I never had any problems with long rakes before.

Enjoyable video. Your layout and scenery is excellent. We have a 3.3% gradient transitioning from the lower layout to the upper level which is rarely used. So far MM diesels have had no problem, but I blew a tcs decoder on an older Bachmann 0-6-0 steam loco hauling a goods train up the hill a few months ago, lots of smoke! I guess the current load exceeded the decoders capability despite being rated for 1.3amp. The motors and gearing in older models can draw a lot more current than modern kit like Bachmann and MM which have better gearing than the toys of yesteryear.

Hi Kirley

Just looking at the video- great stuff, the layout is looking very good, I love the photo backdrops they add a realism in the video that makes one think I'm looking at the real thing.

On the wheel slip- if those flats are the white metal ones, there's got to be some weight in their frames alone- my guess on the cause of slip?

Eoin

Just measured the length of the track (3300mm) and it drops (30mm). Hope this makes sense.

Well that's barely a 1% grade which should'nt cause too many problems. Like you said it's probably all the weight, also if the converted Hornby flats still have the plastic wheels they can cause an awful lot of drag, especially on a curve.

Great video of Kirley Junction again Kieran.With regards the wheel slip,too much weight on the back end will cause extra drag.Have you tried the same rake with a barrier wagon front and back? Your quoted weight for your ammonia train with a barrier front and back should be fine,I would think you are close to that weight with the rake in the video??

If you watched my previous video you would have seen my 071 Class had slippage when pulling a Liner Train up an incline when I added the new SSM Barrier Wagons at the end.

Many thanks for all the suggestions but Hunslet came up with trying the Barrier Wagons at the beginning and at the end of the rake (as they would be in a rake of Ammonia Tankers).

So here's the result.

As Supertrains are the main topic on the Site at the moment I took a few shots of a rake of MK III's in this livery, (don't care what colour of orange they are) and the Taras also got a run behind an 001 Class (in Supertrain livery of course).

Many thanks Andy, you are a true Locomotive Driver.