Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

DSCF8839.jpg

Kieran, I have to say that these ballast wagons are the best models that I have seen on the sight for a long while! to me they are nicer looking and have more character than the IE counterparts. Please tell me where or how you got them as I will gladly sell on off the ould mother-in-law to get a rake. thanks in advance and again - well done ...you just made a great layout into a superb one with the addition of those wagons!=D

Well done Kirley for such a transformation to the Piko ballast wagons, they really look the part.

Having looked at pictures of the prototype NIR wagons, I noticed that the triangular holes that Kirley has opened up in the triangular end frames of the hopper, and which currently feature quite prominently on the prototype wagons, were not there originally.

Does anyone know when, and why, these holes were added.

• 1 month later...

It's a while since I posted anything but I have been building away, mostly brass kits. As some light relief I built some Provincial Wagons I got back at the Bangor Show this year. They are 2 GNR Loco Coal Wagons, took partially no time to do, painting took the longest. I think they are delightful wagons and are portrayed here with an NCC Loco cause I don't have any GNR ones(at the moment).

IMG_2157.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

GNR AEC RAILCAR SET

I've been working on an AEC Set for quite a few months and today was the first trial run. I used one Black Beetle motor to power this Set but the weight of the brass on the two Railcars was to much for the one motor. It went fine on the flat but on my 'Alpine' layout it struggled badly on the higher levels. I had original built a K15 as an intermediate coach just using brass sides on a standard chassis but as you can see was out of proportion to the Railcars. I am currently building a 'full' size SSM brass K15 but it's weight will only add to the problem. So the only decision is to strip out the non Power Car and add another Black Beetle motor.

IMG_2174.JPG

Such is the trials and tribulations of a not very experienced modeller meaning you learn by your mistakes.

IMG_2177.JPG

Fantastic piece of modelling Kieran with a nice paint job to finish. Looking forward to seeing the proper sized K15 in the rake to fully complete the set,the photo certainly highlights the difference in heights. Your skills are getting better with each build,well done and a great choice of prototype,those railcars had character.

Kieran,what's your verdict on the black beetle motors? Most of my railcars still have their original Lima pancake motors which are fine on my level layout,but as I intend getting railcars 6 and 7 in the future running as a 2 car set as they did on the GNR, do you think one would be powerful enough for that?

Kieran,what's your verdict on the black beetle motors? Most of my railcars still have their original Lima pancake motors which are fine on my level layout,but as I intend getting railcars 6 and 7 in the future running as a 2 car set as they did on the GNR, do you think one would be powerful enough for that?

I suspect Andy you will get brass 'sides' for Rail Cars 6 & 7 and use a RTR plastic coaches as donors. In that case one Black Beetle will have no difficulty in pulling a 2 car load.

• 2 weeks later...