Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1683.JPG

I’ve had lots of problems with my points on one section of Kirley Junction. As part of the refurbishment programme I took away one set of points from the main line and placed it in the line coming from the Helix. This means all 3 lines from the Helix converge into one set of points joining the Main Line.

IMG_1682.JPG

Still having problems with the polarity of my series of point in this area I made enquiries with the Belfast Shipyard as they were the innovators behind the ‘Diagonal Steam Trap’ see

As this was out of production I had no alternative but to go for a Hex Frog Juicer. This piece of kit sets the polarity of your points automatically. See

Great piece of kit if you can’t sort out your polarity problems.

IMG_1844.JPG

Next area was the lower section of the lifting bridge leading to Kirley Junction Station. When I originally laid the track I found the curve was too severe and caused derailment issues with some rolling stock. The upper section of the bridge carried the two main lines without problems. To widen the curve on the lower section I had to cut into the bridge to give me that wider curve.

IMG_1809.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

Getting the lines to marry up on a curve was a problem but it eventually worked out after a bit of trial and error.

IMG_1821.JPG

I always seemed to have too much stock on the layout, mainly as just somewhere to store it rather than lift it of the layout and put it back in storage boxes. Having visited ‘The Derry Road’ and saw how Raymond stored some of his stock I thought I could copy his idea as an answer to my problem so I made a start yesterday.

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1860.JPG

It’s so handy just to lift stock off and place it on the shelves, more to follow.

Here is a short video of some of the refurbishments on the layout.

Kieran, Great to see you have solved the issue on the points/polarity, and hope all works fine now. The video on the steam trap, brilliant its years since I heard that, yet it still brings a chuckle. The shelving looks impressive and neat too, whats your advice on the helix? would you do it any different if you were building again, I ask this as I may consider storage roads under neath the layout in the future.TDR

Nothing worse than having to rip up ballasted lines,but needs must! Great overall shots of the layout,it looks fantastic and it will be worth the pain of the reconstruction for better running.Nice video,a few more updates are overdue from Kirley Junction.

Nice stock shelf,will certainly help to keep the layout clear of stock not in use.

Edited by Hunslet 102

whats your advice on the helix? would you do it any different if you were building again, I ask this as I may consider storage roads under neath the layout in the future.TDR

If you go to the first page of this layout thread Raymond you will see the start of my helix build, it was actually the first part of the layout build. I think it would be difficult to incorporate a helix into an existing layout mainly because of the space it takes up.

I copied Everard Junction, see his video at

If I was to do it again I would only have one track on the helix rather than 3, I did not need the extra tracks as I only bring one train up or down at a time. My original ideal was to have 2 helixes so you could run trains from the main tracks down to the storage section and up again at a different location but I did not have the space for the second helix.

The Flying Scotsman re worked his helix and added to it to bring it up to another level, perhaps he would have better suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maintenance work continues on the Layout.

I recycled some old wood floors from the house and put them down in the Shed.

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG

Also put up some more shelves but still there is not enough room for all the rolling stock, will have to stop building models soon.

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1942.JPG

New rake of coaches; they were known as the North Atlantic Express and introduced by the NCC. I have modelled four coaches, a Tri-Composite, a Buffet Car, a Third and a Third Brake in UTA livery.

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1944.JPG

The coaches were built from Worsley Works brass sides and Comet coach parts.

In this video they are been pulled by a Jeep with the usual ‘Brown Vans’ on the end.

Very inspirational set of photos and video. i will have to do something with the roof of my North Atlantic Express Dining car. Also looks like I will need to get the other 2 coaches to keep it company and keep them in the Crimson Lake livery, or as close as I can get to it.

MikeO

• 4 weeks later...

Well done Kieran with the North Atlantics - especially as the train actually has passengers!!!!!

My grandson, an over-wise 6 year old, admonished me for having trains with no passengers in the coaches!

His uncle is a dab hand at painting Warhammer figures, but can I get my son to paint people for me ???????