Kirley junction

Rate this topic

Kirley

Caught in it's primer coat, a TPO van on the way to the Paint Shop. It's one of JM Designs excellent brass kits and straight forward to build

Looks, great, Kieran. A very timely post. I was looking at mine yesterday and wondering how difficult a build it would be ..... as a first foray into brass. Any pearls will gladly received.

It’s been more than a year since I did any work on Kirley Junction and there were a number of issues I needed to sort out. The main one was the electrics at the stretch were the lines from the Helix enter the main lines. I kept getting a short and parts of the points would go dead. Joe Keenan kindly tore himself away from his duties on the South Dublin MRC layout at the Bangor Show to have a look at my problem.

Good advice was given but when I sorted out one issue another would arrive. So I took up part of the offending track, removed a point from the main line and moved it to the branch. So far so good.

Rather than putting up pictures of relayed track and points I used the service of the PW team at work last night. It was shutdown with only one of the main lines in service to Galway.

IMG_1672.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

Layout Maintenance

It must be the worst job you have to do on the maintenance of your track, the replacing of springs in your points. As part of my long overdue maintenance programme I checked my Peco points and was really surprised at how many had lost their springs. I know some people say it’s not important but every so often my Loco would either stall or stutter at Points and the tight connection between the stock rails and the moveable rails was missing on some locations.

I had replacement springs from Peco (free with a SAE) and I steeled myself to tackle this problem. The first one I did ended in disaster, I broke the points and had to replace them, a good hours work.

IMG_1693.JPG

The next go took a good half an hour before I got the dammed thing in but on reflection I developed a technique on how to do it.

IMG_1694.JPG

After that it ended up a 5 – 10 minute job depending how lucky things went for you. After doing nine I’ve got the hang of it but pity anyone who still has to tackle this problem.

Layout Maintenance

It must be the worst job you have to do on the maintenance of your track, the replacing of springs in your points. Every so often my Loco would either stall or stutter at Points and the tight connection between the stock rails and the moveable rails was missing on some locations. The first one I did ended in disaster, I broke the points and had to replace them, a good hours work. The next go took a good half an hour before I got the dammed thing in but on reflection I developed a technique on how to do it. After that it ended up a 5 – 10 minute job depending how lucky things went for you.

Kieran, if you have any left to do could you upload a few shots of the refined technique. With luck, it might become a sticky. Are your points fixed to the baseboard by the PVA glue and how do you get them out with joiners and everything? Will another fit back in or you have to reballast everything?

Kieran, if you have any left to do could you upload a few shots of the refined technique. . Are your points fixed to the baseboard by the PVA glue and how do you get them out with joiners and everything? Will another fit back in or you have to reballast everything?

Kevin I was replacing the point springs without removing the points. I had only one replacement spring left and I took some photographs but as you need 3 hands to do this and take photos some are a bit out of focus. I'll stick them up soon on the Tips & Tricks Section.

Bachmann Irish Stone Engine Shed.

A Site Member put an Irish Engine Shed for sale and I was tempted to buy. Picked it up today but now I’ve the problem where to put it on the Layout.

First of all I decided to squeeze it in beside the Loco Depot and took a few shots to see how it works.

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1696.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1699.JPG

The other option is to remove the Water Tower, add a siding in front of Kirley Junction Station and place it there, decisions, decisions.

IMG_1702.JPG

IMG_1703.JPG

Anyway it was nice to meet Crawford today and talk Railways. There is a chimney which comes separate with the model, anyone any ideas where it goes?

Looks pretty good with the depot buildings perhaps a itg/rpsi outpost? Maybe place a small container at the back for spares for the heritage loco. Really enjoy seeing pics/footage of your layout and you can t beat meeting up with one of the lads for a chat :) .

Edited by Riversuir226

Bachmann Irish Stone Engine Shed.

A Site Member put an Irish Engine Shed for sale but now I’ve the problem where to put it on the Layout.

First of all I decided to squeeze it in beside the Loco Depot and took a few shots to see how it works.

IMG_1698.JPG

I think it looks right at home there, squeezed in or not and accross from the limestone station and that awesome model by GD. Love this scene, Kieran.

Kevin I was replacing the point springs without removing the points. I had only one replacement spring left and I took some photographs but as you need 3 hands to do this and take photos some are a bit out of focus. I'll stick them up soon on the Tips & Tricks Section.

Good job, Kieran. That'll do nicely.

Kieran,two choices,from what I hear,CIE/IR we're going to demolish the old engine shed after building the new one,but a couple of newly won freight contracts meant more locomotives coming and going,so the shed has been retained until further notice.

If room,a spur of the station running in behind the water tower with the engine shed not in use as per UP6936. The water tower would be retained for the steam loco's still in operation.

What I think might look well would be to put it where the water tower is as you mentioned, but model it as an old disconnected shed, with some very weathered track inside it and outside and not actually connected to the mainline

Kieran If you do plan to go this way ^ make sure you have a model of BCDR No30 hiding in the shed, as the story goes...

Kieran could u pop up some more pics of the yard?

Here's a video taken last July when the Yard wasn't so crowded. I tried, not very successfully, to video and control train movements at the same time and have fallen between two stools. My camera kept dying mid shot hence the rapid cuts between scenes. Apologies for the poor quality.

Bloody magic, there's a few, maybe quite a few Lima's out there that will be saved with this kinda work, well done Kevin

I may have put this comment into the wrong tread, or I may even have referred to the wrong man, apologies all round, I also think I may have used the name Kevin instead of Kieran !!! sorry guys. :doh::doh: