Ohh the Humanity

Rate this topic

So that's what happened to the Turf Burner. !!!!

Yerra no, shur the frames are above in a Golf Course bridge and then it had a cameo in Red Rock on TV3 (Tomo de Turf SE04EP11), but finished life playing a bit-part roll as a minor criminal in Thomas the Tank Engine.

It also stunt doubled for U-96 in the classic underwater drama "Das Boot".

True Story....

Edited by Glenderg

Looking across the pond at Tornado and other projects (Hengist/GER 4-4-0/Beachy Head/Patriot/P2 etc) I wonder is there an appetite for a replica??

I seriously doubt it, unfortunately. Preservationists have a hard enough time securing funding for what they already have...

+1. Oh to have one of Cusack's 4-4-0s around today for mainline runs, or even an E class tank for someplace like Downpatrick. :(

Maybe in 20 or 30 years we will see one being built by some kind of trust

I'd love to see a J26

A Bandon would be very useful in preservation too...

All three 800s were to be scrapped. The intervention of a UTA civil engineer with some connections to it would have had a hand in having the scrapping delayed. Said individual also knew Bob Beggs, the curator of the Witham Street Belfast Transport Museum.

The rest is history.......!!!

So this pic would be taken before she was in Thurles...wonder if she was ever used between the period of this pic and 64

If not, Macha was the last 800 to see service..

At no noticeable extra cost, I've done a bit of research in the IRRS Journal.

No.800 ran the 1540 (Sat only) Kingsbridge to Cork in the summer of 1956 band 1957 (I am pretty sure a 400 Class was used on occasion)and worked her last passenger train - an extra - at Christmas 1958.

I acknowledge the posthumous help of that lovely man David Murray in finding this out (IRRS Journal Vol 9 Page 270).

Leslie

At no noticeable extra cost, I've done a bit of research in the IRRS Journal.

No.800 ran the 1540 (Sat only) Kingsbridge to Cork in the summer of 1956 band 1957 (I am pretty sure a 400 Class was used on occasion)and worked her last passenger train - an extra - at Christmas 1958.

I acknowledge the posthumous help of that lovely man David Murray in finding this out (IRRS Journal Vol 9 Page 270).

Leslie

That's very interesting Leslie,..

She might have hung around for another year or two, lying idle most of the time(like Macha) doing the occasional freight until the beet season came..

She would have been out of service by late 59/60?

Macha, meanwhile was out of service at glanmire road until 62/3, when she was retubed for a rail tour

This one, probably

image.jpeg

She looks in fairly bad Shape at this stage..a sad sight

Edited by GSR 800

That's very interesting Leslie,..

She might have hung around for another year or two, lying idle most of the time(like Macha) doing the occasional freight until the beet season came..

She would have been out of service by late 59/60?

Macha, meanwhile was out of service at glanmire road until 62/3, when she was retubed for a rail tour

This one, probably

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25633[/ATTACH]

She looks in fairly bad Shape at this stage..a sad sight

Hi Harry and friends

I'm waiting for the postman to deliver the worksplates for my H vans, prior to departure for Raheny, so I have a bit of time for research.

I mentioned the Christmas 1958 extra worked by No. 800 - 3.40pm ex Dublin. She was FOLLOWED by No.801 on 4pm perishables extra. Apparently, No.800 was failed with leaking tubes at Ballybrophy and was replaced by a diesel, at which point the enthusiasts on board removed themselves from the train!

What happened next must have been heart-breaking for Bill McDonnell (who tells the story in The Journal) and his two, un-named friends - one was sure to have been the late and lamented Drew Donaldson. When No.801 arrived with her train of seven four wheel vans, No.800 was attached as pilot!

The three pleaded with the guard to be allowed to travel, but to no avail, so the only known example of a train DOUBLE-HEADED BY 800s went unrecorded, both by stopwatch and film - it was too dark for a photo! It appears that they only worked thus as far as Thurles, where No.800 went on shed and languished until August 1962 when she was removed to Inchicore.

Now that rail tour you mention.

No.801 was used on the Joint Tour of Ireland in 1961. On 5 April 1961 she worked the train from Cork to Mallow only and I suspect this was the last time she was used. Just five coaches and a four wheel (tin?) van.

In The Journal, Jimmy O'Dea mentions that No.801 continued working occasionally on goods and beet trains until the end of 1961, when she joined her sister at Thurles. In 1962, she was also moved to Inchicore. So, during a school railway society visit, that's where I saw the pair of them, on 30 August 1962 - TENDER to TENDER. There's a photo somewhere. I expended an entire 120mm film that day - 12 shots!!!!

No.801 was cut up early in 1963.

I hope this casts a little light on the latter history of these impressive looking engines.

Leslie

Edited by leslie10646

Hi Harry and friends

I'm waiting for the postman to deliver the worksplates for my H vans, prior to departure for Raheny, so I have a bit of time for research.

I mentioned the Christmas 1958 extra worked by No. 800 - 3.40pm ex Dublin. She was FOLLOWED by No.801 on 4pm perishables extra. Apparently, No.800 was failed with leaking tubes at Ballybrophy and was replaced by a diesel, at which point the enthusiasts on board removed themselves from the train!

What happened next must have been heart-breaking for Bill McDonnell (who tells the story in The Journal) and his two, un-named friends - one was sure to have been the late and lamented Drew Donaldson. When No.801 arrived with her train of seven four wheel vans, No.800 was attached as pilot!

The three pleaded with the guard to be allowed to travel, but to no avail, so the only known example of a train DOUBLE-HEADED BY 800s went unrecorded, both by stopwatch and film - it was too dark for a photo! It appears that they only worked thus as far as Thurles, where No.800 went on shed and languished until August 1962 when she was removed to Inchicore.

Now that rail tour you mention.

No.801 was used on the Joint Tour of Ireland in 1961. On 5 April 1961 she worked the train from Cork to Mallow only and I suspect this was the last time she was used. Just five coaches and a four wheel (tin?) van.

In The Journal, Jimmy O'Dea mentions that No.801 continued working occasionally on goods and beet trains until the end of 1961, when she joined her sister at Thurles. In 1962, she was also moved to Inchicore. So, during a school railway society visit, that's where I saw the pair of them, on 30 August 1962 - TENDER to TENDER. There's a photo somewhere. I expended an entire 120mm film that day - 12 shots!!!!

No.801 was cut up early in 1963.

I hope this casts a little light on the latter history of these impressive looking engines.

Leslie

A DOUBLE HEADED 800!?...that must have been the single most awesome thing ever seen by anyone ever!

that guard should have got slapped with a fish..

But seriously Leslie, Thank you very much, this info is very interesting(not to mention AWESOME)

if you can find that pic I'll buy another corrugate..or a H van

I'm still waiting for my Hood...

There is the legend that 800 was scrapped and her name and number plates swapped with 801

Alright, I don't know where JB is,so I'll debunk it myself..

Firstly we will go through the Pro's of this conspiracy, and then the cons

This wouldn't be the first time this happened, there was a certain switchero of two GNR locos to prevent

( or delay) the scrapping of the local favorite loco.

Meadbh was withdrawn before Macha, so they could have been scrapping her when the preservation team said, we want to save her, CIE were like "whoops. Ah we will just give em Macha with Maebhs name/number plates.

Cons

The main one.

Meadbh was sitting in Thurles, in 1961-2 having been repainted, while Macha was still doing Any work she could find.

The timeline doesn't really matchup.

And I can't see CIE bother their arse doing some sorta elaborate scheme like that.

Next time, I debunk the illuminati conspiracy theory

Spoiler alert

Reason one: it's utter crap some Internet troll invented in his Moms basement..