From the Catacombs

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Don’t worry - it’s not some kind of Northern land grab! Arguably Dundalk works would make a brilliant Irish railway museum - with a short running line up the stub of the Irish North….

It’s all about context really - it’s only when you see exhibits juxtaposed that you can really put them into perspective. That’s what the big museums like York do so well. A replica of 36 - or better still ‘Hibernia’ sitting next to 800 would be most educational. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, jhb171achill said:

Three GNR coaches at Amiens St., 1963/4.

For modellers, this triple-liveried pic also shows clearly GNR 3rd class upholstery.

I honestly have no idea where I got this picture from. Apologies for any copyright breach. I have no idea who took it, the date, etc.

However I have posted it for the modeller's interest. It shows an unusual formation of two CIE owned AEC power cars in different liveries, apparently towing a K 15 intermediate still in GNR Railcar livery and either a C 2 or F 16 carriage in CIE green livery.

image.png.d1c8f8dc5b478b8023a5abfdde00e4cd.png

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

On 11/1/2022 at 5:29 PM, Lambeg man said:

It shows an unusual formation of two CIE owned AEC power cars in different liveries, apparently towing a K 15 intermediate still in GNR Railcar livery and either a C 2 or F 16 carriage in CIE green livery.

Having written the above I then remembered the Dewing photo on the last page of "GNR(I) in Colour" showing a 2-car AEC set towing a non-Railcar fitted Brake/2nd. Then I also remembered I had this... 

484371591_DroghedaUDCIEAECRailcarNo.c604nleadsa2-carsettowingtwoothercarriages(BlencoweCol).thumb.jpg.01b39b69895dd24b60469d8fa9ad7ff3.jpg

CIE c604n entereing Drogheda. No date given (but post 1961) and of interest in that this also is a two-car AEC set (both power cars) towing two wooden panelled carriages. Was CIE short of ex-GNR AEC Railcar intermediates in this period? Photographer unknown, copyright the Belncowe collection. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

2 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

Having written the above I then remembered the Dewing photo on the last page of "GNR(I) in Colour" showing a 2-car AEC set towing a non-Railcar fitted Brake/2nd. Then I also remembered I had this... 

484371591_DroghedaUDCIEAECRailcarNo.c604nleadsa2-carsettowingtwoothercarriages(BlencoweCol).thumb.jpg.01b39b69895dd24b60469d8fa9ad7ff3.jpg

CIE c604n entereing Drogheda. No date given (but post 1961) and of interest in that this also is a two-car AEC set (both power cars) towing two wooden panelled carriages. Was CIE short of Railcar intermediates in this period. Photographer unknown, copyright the Belncowe collection. 

On the NCC / UTA, GNR and CIE all alike, it was common practice in the 1950s and early 60s for railcar sets to tow “hauled” stock - including six wheelers, other random wooden and/or non-corridor vehicles and even goods vans and cattle trucks!

I saw a pic somewhere of a Tralee - Cork train in the 50s consisting of a 3-car AEC set with two cattle trucks behind it….

A pretty rare pic - probably unique now. Colour pic from "Maedb"'s footplate.

Senior travelled with her Dublin - Lisburn in 1964. I thought that I had LOST this slide, as I lent it out once and when I had been given it back, I somehow misplaced it. Thankfully, the party to whom I lent it has a copy! (Thanks, Ciarán...)

(H C A Beaumont)

HCB_GSR 800 nr_Poyntzpass_1964_01.jpg

• Like 8
  • WOW! 5

36 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

A pretty rare pic - probably unique now. Colour pic from "Maedb"'s footplate.

Senior travelled with her Dublin - Lisburn in 1964. I thought that I had LOST this slide, as I lent it out once and when I had been given it back, I somehow misplaced it. Thankfully, the party to whom I lent it has a copy! (Thanks, Ciarán...)

(H C A Beaumont)

HCB_GSR 800 nr_Poyntzpass_1964_01.jpg

Now THAT is exceptional 

actually, what’s is the loco/wagon in front of maebh?

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Now THAT is exceptional 

actually, what’s is the loco/wagon in front of maebh?

A string of open wagons to distance 800 from the loco hauling it while going over bridges, most particularly the Boyne Viaduct. It was being steam hauled itself at this stage, as you can see.

Truly amazing photo JB!

11 hours ago, Lambeg man said:

CIE c604n entereing Drogheda. No date given (but post 1961) and of interest in that this also is a two-car AEC set (both power cars) towing two wooden panelled carriages. Was CIE short of ex-GNR AEC Railcar intermediates in this period? Photographer unknown, copyright the Belncowe collection. 

Superb view of Drogheda South cabin!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Looks like photographic grey - a Victorian practice to ensure that the detail of a locomotive stood out in its official works portrait. The actual in service livery would have been green like this…painting on my office wall! 

4F888350-B80D-41BC-BBB9-E94FD2A1B2F2.jpeg

Correct. “Works Grey” - including full lining & numbering for same effect.

3 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Super pics!  JB what would the lighter livery colour be in those photos?

“Works Grey”, as it was known, for works official purposes only. “Proper” livery applied before entry to traffic. In most, though not all, cases, this temporary “fifty shades of grey” was applied to just one member of a class, purely for photos. Sometimes on one side only!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

They’ve obviously never seen Maedb, nor many MGWR, WLWR & GSWR designs, or Beyer Peacock export locos!

(…….I’ll get me coat…..)

If i put my 800 bias to one side for a minute..

Many of the late victorian and edwardian 4-4-0s generally are some of the most handsome and elegant locomotives ever built, with fantastic lines, and more often than not, stunning liveries to match.  MGWR 4-4-0s have a place in my heart, really beautiful designs. 

A great deal of these locomotives had their looks obliterated by the early superheater carry ons!

Onto 800, a rare blend of both elegance and sheer power is evident, one can clearly see.....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

If i put my 800 bias to one side for a minute..

Many of the late victorian and edwardian 4-4-0s generally are some of the most handsome and elegant locomotives ever built, with fantastic lines, and more often than not, stunning liveries to match.  MGWR 4-4-0s have a place in my heart, really beautiful designs. 

A great deal of these locomotives had their looks obliterated by the early superheater carry ons!

Onto 800, a rare blend of both elegance and sheer power is evident, one can clearly see.....

…..and I had a conversation once with a fairly well known preservationist, whose technical knowledge and expertise and skills are very rightly widely respected, and he said the 800s were “awkward” looking!!!

22 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

…..and I had a conversation once with a fairly well known preservationist, whose technical knowledge and expertise and skills are very rightly widely respected, and he said the 800s were “awkward” looking!!!

I've heard some stuff about their cylinders looking too far forward and the linkage on the right side of the boiler detracting from their lines....my eyes see only perfection 😛

12 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

They’ve obviously never seen Maedb, nor many MGWR, WLWR & GSWR designs, or Beyer Peacock export locos!

(…….I’ll get me coat…..)

I did caveat it with ‘GN’, Jb….although in truth, I suspect the most impartial analysis, comparing designs on a wider global canvas, would say Ireland’s finest designs of all came from J G Robinson at the WLWR before the Great Central poached him. 

WATERFORD, LIMERICK & WESTERN RAILWAY - 53 JUBILEE - Robinson WL&WR 4-4-0, built 1896 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3618 - 1901 to GS&WR as No.296 - 1923 rebuilt - 1925 to GSR, 1945 to CIE - 1949 withdrawn - seen here at Limerick Junction in 1898.

WATERFORD, LIMERICK & WESTERN RAILWAY - 54 KILLEMNEE - Robinson WL&WR 4-4-0, built 1896 by Kitson & Co., Works No.3619 - 1901 to GS&WR as No.297 - 1925 to GSR - 1928 withdrawn.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Robinson's 4-4-0s for the WLW must be one of the most elegant of all such types, right up there with the SECR D class. They just seem to personify Edwardian elegance. The former is on my list, albeit some way down at the moment!

When I bought the last two remaining SLNCR 'small tank' kits from Adrian Rowlands (North Star Models), he also offered me an S. Not part of my plans and still isnt, but nevertheless get a twinge of regret from time to time.

Meanwhile, Mrs H bought me a book on the history of Aston Martin for Christmas, by Ben Collins, aka The Stig. Decent read, especially the chapter of the 1959 DBR1 which Caroll Shelby won, after Stirling Moss wore out the Ferraris in the lead Aston. Utterly beautiful car and got as far as wondering about building a kit. A 1/12 model can be had for six hundred quid or so (!), though a 1/24 is a more reasonable £120. One day...

You need at least two and a half million for the real thing, by the way.

Edited by David Holman
  • Like 3

When I'm on the Big Island, I live not far from a fairly recently constructed canal facility. It comprises of many boat moorings and a restaurant, farm shop, etc. It is closest to a small village called Aston, which is located on an 'out and back' from the main road, and in forty years of living eight miles away, I've only been to the village twice.

Anyway, the canal facility is made much more obvious to passers-by, with signage on the main roads, pointing to it - Aston Marina.

I can't go past that sign without thinking that it sounds like one of the most alarming vehicles ever proposed, like a Lotus Cortina, but doing 170mph, with the brakes and handling of a Lidl trolley.

Edited by Broithe
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I am currently sitting about half a mile away from Aston Hill, after which the cars are named. But even a DB7 can’t match a WLWR maroon beauty:….

F9F10054-8DDA-4A30-A0EC-201BD9F05463.jpeg

I’m think that’s the cover of Henry casserlys book. The spine in mine has horrendous sun damage and puts a big white section through the complete painting 

• Like 1

On 23/1/2022 at 12:47 AM, jhb171achill said:

I always disliked that linkage of "agricultural" appearance running along the boiler. Spoils the look for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1