From the Catacombs

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Brilliant, Leslie. Was looking for references to it but cannot put my hands on Ernie's book. Any idea when it was withdrawn?

Withdrawn 1891. Incidentally, E L Ahrons describes it as being painted ‘an ugly red’ when it got the stovepipe chimney. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Withdrawn 1891. Incidentally, E L Ahrons describes it as being painted ‘an ugly red’ when it got the stovepipe chimney. 

Got more info on it, having had tea, and searched archives in the untidy cupboard behind me.

The DWWR withdrew it in 1891 and sold it to W M Murphy & Co., a contractor. Murphy was engaged in building the Bantry extension of the CBSCR at the time, so it is likely that it ended up down there somewhere. There seems to be no further record of it - at some thirty years old by the time the Bantry line was open, Murphy probably scrapped it. It had the name "Oberon", but never carried a number.

My grandfather was born in 1880, so if he did take that picture, he'd have been very young (11 at most!). Perhaps he didn't, in which case I have no idea who did, as the negative is in among old family photos which he certainly DID take. The earliest photos he is known to have been responsible for date from about 1905.

So it remains an item of interest!

Regarding livery, DWWR locos were green at first, but some at least (obviously including the above) painted a red colour for a while in the late 1880s / early 90s - but lined black after that until GSR grey appeared in 1925.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

300422820_2.2.2LocoOberonHJAB.thumb.jpg.c36d2c031d021aaec97fc0ea6475ba46.jpgOK, boys'n'girls; what exactly is THIS, and where? Found in a newly-unearthed packet of negatives among Senior's stuff.

A similar Neilson, their no.1126/1865, according to this site their 1127 and 1144 appear to be the same class so I imagine Oberon was in that range also

DUBLIN, WICKLOW & WEXFORD RAILWAY - ARIEL - Wakefield 2-2-2WT - built 1865 by Neilson & C., Works No.1126 - 1894 withdrawn.

Edited by Killian Keane

18 minutes ago, Killian Keane said:

A similar Neilson, their no.1126/1865, according to this site their 1127 and 1144 appear to be the same class so I imagine Oberon was in that range also

DUBLIN, WICKLOW & WEXFORD RAILWAY - ARIEL - Wakefield 2-2-2WT - built 1865 by Neilson & C., Works No.1126 - 1894 withdrawn.

Yes, it's of the same class. There were 6 or 7 of them. This one ended up with Murphy too. The rest were scrapped.

52 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Now there's a couple o' fellahs on this site who reside "down there", so they have an excuse for having a 2-2-2WT on their lines ...........

West Cork take note!

I wonder if one ever went to Dugort Harbour; now THERE'S an idea - something on a plinth like No. 36 in Cork, but out in the open covered in bird....

stuff.

• Funny 1

44 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Another very rare photo for this DSER linked theme

20220119_124755.jpg

A handsome and interesting engine. Found to be too heavy so was rebuilt as an 0-6-0 tender engine. Lasted until 1950. Looking into this topic shows that the often overlooked DWWR/DSER had some lovely designs, and some particularly charming small tanks. 

DUBLIN, WICKLOW & WEXFORD RAILWAY - 42 BALLYBRACK - Wakefield 2-4-0T - built 1883 by Beyer Peacock & Co., Works No.2261 - 1925 to GSR, withdrawn on transfer.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

Just had a browse through Golden Arrows cat; he does a white metal kit for an Isle of Whight Rly Beyer Peacock 2-4-0t which would be a good starting point for the D&SER tank. No connection with Golden Arrow except as a customer.

Just thinking about Irish locos and conversions from British "near fits & misses" what I think would help is a range of GSR loco chimneys and the flush type smoke  box door to improve the loco "face". I for one would happily purchase if one of our 3d printing aces produce some. I have looked at white metal ones and the tall British GNR comes close. But,but,but!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Just had a browse through Golden Arrows cat; he does a white metal kit for an Isle of Whight Rly Beyer Peacock 2-4-0t which would be a good starting point for the D&SER tank. No connection with Golden Arrow except as a customer.

Just thinking about Irish locos and conversions from British "near fits & misses" what I think would help is a range of GSR loco chimneys and the flush type smoke  box door to improve the loco "face". I for one would happily purchase if one of our 3d printing aces produce some. I have looked at white metal ones and the tall British GNR comes close. But,but,but!

I think such a topic needs a thread on its own 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A little late to this party, but one worth joining!!

13 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

DWWR No. 19

One of the goods engines ordered in 1863 & delivered in 1864.  Lasted in operation until 1924 before being scrapped in 1925.  It's compatriot No. 21 was re-built as a tank engine in 1905.

It's a model I should build, and will get to it in time; too many other projects on the cards at the present to make any meaningful progress.

As to the 2-2-2 WT, they seem to have been well covered in the comments above.  Quirky locos, but appeared to have provided good service in various guises from 1865 to 1923.

It's a loco that I'm planning on building to run with the small side tipping wagons built earlier.  Design is proving difficult due to the lack of space for motor, gearbox, battery, etc, so I am developing in 3D first before building in Brass.

1396840329_2-2-2WTModel-Early.thumb.jpg.5df9ba8745e86e40ebbaa6a7df63c9a3.jpg

Model is 96mm over frames with no tanks or other hiding places so an enclosed cab version is the only way to proceed.  This will be a model of No. 35 built 1873, withdrawn 1923, so should work well with turn of the century rolling stock.

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

particularly charming small tanks

Agreed, they had quite a number of tank locos of different sizes and that particular example became the GSR 423 Class - nice loco & good model.

91853852_423FrontUpper.thumb.jpg.133a92ba2ef8d5c7bc42c1bf672d3c90.jpg

I am proposing to build another of these and may go down the etching process to develop a kit.  Fittings can be 3D printed as suggested above. 

A little bit of fine tuning will be needed to ensure the etch version can be built in OO and 21mm versions.

@jhb171achill JB, if you have any more photos of the DWWR / DSER, it would be most appreciated.  Those posted by you, and others here are most appreciated.

Ken

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, KMCE said:

@jhb171achill JB, if you have any more photos of the DWWR / DSER, it would be most appreciated.  Those posted by you, and others here are most appreciated.

Ken

Not sure, Ken, I’ll have a look. Senior went to school behind those little tank engines, so he probably saw them as being as routine as a Dart! 

if only……..!

Should add, that would make a very nice little 00 scale kit.

• Like 1

On 25/1/2022 at 11:44 AM, KMCE said:

A little late to this party, but one worth joining!!

One of the goods engines ordered in 1863 & delivered in 1864.  Lasted in operation until 1924 before being scrapped in 1925.  It's compatriot No. 21 was re-built as a tank engine in 1905.

It's a model I should build, and will get to it in time; too many other projects on the cards at the present to make any meaningful progress.

As to the 2-2-2 WT, they seem to have been well covered in the comments above.  Quirky locos, but appeared to have provided good service in various guises from 1865 to 1923.

It's a loco that I'm planning on building to run with the small side tipping wagons built earlier.  Design is proving difficult due to the lack of space for motor, gearbox, battery, etc, so I am developing in 3D first before building in Brass.

1396840329_2-2-2WTModel-Early.thumb.jpg.5df9ba8745e86e40ebbaa6a7df63c9a3.jpg

Model is 96mm over frames with no tanks or other hiding places so an enclosed cab version is the only way to proceed.  This will be a model of No. 35 built 1873, withdrawn 1923, so should work well with turn of the century rolling stock.

Agreed, they had quite a number of tank locos of different sizes and that particular example became the GSR 423 Class - nice loco & good model.

91853852_423FrontUpper.thumb.jpg.133a92ba2ef8d5c7bc42c1bf672d3c90.jpg

I am proposing to build another of these and may go down the etching process to develop a kit.  Fittings can be 3D printed as suggested above. 

A little bit of fine tuning will be needed to ensure the etch version can be built in OO and 21mm versions.

Ken

Just a Though but with the advances in 3D printing nowadays I would of though Brass now would start to become a thing of the past given you obviously would need less skills to knock it together?

16 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

Just a Though but with the advances in 3D printing nowadays I would of though Brass now would start to become a thing of the past given you obviously would need less skills to knock it together?

I’ve currently used a lot of 3D printing to make an F1 car for Leaving cert engineering. It really depends on the software your using, and if your willing to accept a few finish issues if your going with the cheaper printers. Brass makes by far a supirior model but it’s so much easier to knock it up in a 3d programme. Steam locos are generally square 

For me, I think that a mix of brass and 3d printing is the way to go. I haven’t seen many try it, but I think it would rectify some of the downsides of the oul 3d printer

3d printing a whole model without doner chassis is beyond my skill level for the moment. I have been toying around with my bandon tank which up on its 6’6 wheels serves nothing more as a silloette  of the real thing…for now

545D59A0-687E-45B8-B5DD-7B3337CFA5C5.jpeg.9bccf7aa9df2d4700ab24f56be2b1f86.jpegA9E740C7-3676-4B03-BBCC-C76D1C1E166A.jpeg.3cef2cf337d4ca537c5b32b7058e9dda.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Sorry George, but no

3D printing has it's place, and is a great way for producing models and parts at certain scales. But does not compare to brass/metal construction for all scales, especially in the larger scales. Scale thickness, strength and longevity are the brass/metal advantages, and if one is going to invest in a scratch model that could cost €1,000 up to €3,000 say for a large steam loco- one would want it to last!

Eoin

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, murrayec said:

Sorry George, but no

3D printing has it's place, and is a great way for producing models and parts at certain scales. But does not compare to brass/metal construction for all scales, especially in the larger scales. Scale thickness, strength and longevity are the brass/metal advantages, and if one is going to invest in a scratch model that could cost €1,000 up to €3,000 say for a large steam loco- one would want it to last!

Eoin

True that, Can't Bate the feel of a bit of weight!

• Like 2

Having tried both methods of production, the main issue is weight.  A 3D printed loco body may only be c. 30 -40g while its brass counterpart may be in excess of 150g.  I find that locos need to be over 300g to have sufficient traction to move a rake of wagons.  With some locos, finding space for weight can be an issue, and finding space for an additional 100g can be difficult.

Also the brass can provide finer detail with superior strength, and it doesn't shrink!!

Ken

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

In response to a request, I dug out some of my father's pics on the Derry Central area of the NCC (plus a few other random NCC shots!). I believe these were all taken between 1944 and 1947, but there could be exceptions. He went to Draperstown in the 1930s, but I'm unaware of photos of that trip.

More locos and stock than stations, but he a has a panoramic of Magherafelt (I think) somewhere.

img262 (2).jpg

img263 (2).jpg

img265.jpg

img267 (2).jpg

img269.jpg

img281.jpg

img282 (2).jpg

img286.jpg

img307.jpg

The one of No. 9 is obviously later than 1947.

• Like 4