Rate this topic

ttc0169

As my electrical skills are very basic I was delighted when PECO announced a motor that could be installed under their LK-55 turntable, this announcement was perfectly timed to coincide with the forthcoming MM 121 release,

I purchased one at the Warley exhibition last weekend and during the course of the week I fitted it to the underside of the turntable at Tara junction,

175 was the first Locomotive to be successfully turned on the table which will now see more use when the 121s enter service at the junction.

IMG_E3522.JPG

IMG_E3519.JPG

IMG_E3520.JPG

• Like 7

You must be one of the first to buy one of these. They have been on the Peco website for about a year, but only just become available it seems.

So, how does it work and how does it attach to the table, plus would it be strong enough to turn a loco weighing a kilo or more? Indeed, how is is powered and controlled?

In other words, any chance of a review, please?

• Like 1

There is a one minute video from Peco on YouTube. Seems simple enough - there fixing points to glue to the underside of the TT and the motor is fixed to them.

It's a stepper motor, supposed to be very quiet and operated by push to make switches, one for each direction. £65 - reasonable value, I suppose, though the Kitwood Hill motor was being sold for a tenner and the Freezinghall one about twenty.

• Like 1

A consignment of RAWIE buffer stops arrived at the Tara junction permanent way depot  from China via the UK courtesy of IRM and Accurascale here are a few photos of their arrival and one being unloaded and placed on the MPV for onward placement to a location on the main layout....

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3564.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3566.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

• Like 13
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the welcome increase in container liner business traffic, the Lakeview freight yard welcomed its extra liner train last night, consisting of BELL & B&I lines containers,

Here we see locomotives 183+156 arrive at Lakeview with the liner and run around the liner, after unloading and reloading took place locomotive 073 arrived fresh from the MPD to work the liner back to Waterford,

Anyway pictures speak louder than words......enjoy-as much as I am.....

Thanks to the lads at IRM :dancing:

IMG_E3708.JPG

IMG_E3692.JPG

IMG_E3693.JPG

IMG_E3694.JPG

IMG_E3695.JPG

IMG_E3696.JPG

IMG_E3697.JPG

IMG_E3710.JPG

IMG_E3712.JPG

IMG_E3701.JPG

IMG_E3700.JPG

IMG_E3698.JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 6

Happy Christmas to all fellow modellers ,here's to a fantastic 2020  for Irish railway modellers,

A final round up at the junction...the postman has collected the last of the Christmas mail from the TPO at the station,

083.077.071 and 080 receive attention at the MPD prior to the Christmas shutdown.

Retro 073 arrives at the Lakeview freight deport with the last IWT liner of the year.

:dancing:

IMG_E3757.JPG

IMG_E3747.JPG

IMG_E3755.JPG

IMG_E3756.JPG

• Like 3

On 12/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, David Holman said:

A layout that is clearly very much enjoyed - exactly how it should be!

Splendid stuff.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:11 PM, JasonB said:

Lovely shots as always Noel, enjoyed every update throughout the year. I never grow tired of this layout, and look forward to what's to come in 2020 from the Junction. Happy Christmas :tumbsup: 

Thank you gentlemen ,your kind comments are much appreciated. :tumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a marathon operating session this afternoon we see a few rare locomotives work various liner trains through Tara junction,

Highlights were 201 C class locomotives 226 and Sulzer locomotive 107...….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEwoYjQEUY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXR5CZmaHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_xfRPyTcA

Edited by ttc0169
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have always wanted to have a go at scratch building a model of the Irish rail relaying train with its impressive  Donelli relaying gantries,

So after some research I set about constructing the gantries and as can be seen I am delighted with the results,

Here we see retro 073 hauling the relaying train through Tara junction

IMG_E3897.JPG

IMG_E3886.JPG

IMG_E3891.JPG

IMG_E3887.JPG

IMG_E3893.JPG

IMG_E3894.JPG

• Like 7
  • WOW! 3

Another useful addition to the ever increasing wagon fleet on Tara junction,

The wheel carrier wagon is a modified 42' bogie wagon that is adapted to carry various types of wheelsets and is confined to operate between Inchicore works and Limerick works,

I photographed two over the course of a few years 30141 and 30174 having observed them at Inchicore works

I recently finished scratch building the model version which is now in service at the junction,

Here are a few photos of 30141 being loaded at the MPD,

I have included a photo of the real wagon so that those modellers who are not familiar with it can see what it is like,

IMG_E3926.JPG

IMG_E3928.JPG

IMG_E3927.JPG

IMG_E3929.JPG

IMG_E3930.JPG

IMG_E3932.JPG

IMG_E3934.JPG

IMG_E3935.JPG

IMG_3910.JPG

• Like 6
  • WOW! 4

The last of the superb RAWIE buffer stops were installed into position over the last few days on Tara junction,

Here are a selection of photos of the operation including the new road rail machine with interchangeable attachments,

Locomotive 074 is seen also having arrived from the lower level permanent way yard to move the weed spray/Sperry train for storage to that yard.

The useful MPV was used to lift out the old buffer stop in the bay platform and install the new one into position.

IMG_E3969.JPG

IMG_E3970.JPG

IMG_E3976.JPG

IMG_E3977.JPG

IMG_E3971.JPG

IMG_E3978.JPG

IMG_E3985.JPG

IMG_E3972.JPG

IMG_E3973.JPG

IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_E3979.JPG

IMG_E3982.JPG

IMG_E3984.JPG

IMG_E3987.JPG

IMG_E3988.JPG

• Like 10

On 2/8/2020 at 7:25 PM, Robert Shrives said:

Like the pics - but if anything normal to go by the buffer stop would have been move a coach length up the bay rendering it useless !! So well done for getting the Civils to put in a sensible place...

thanks

Robert  

Thanks Robert, sense does prevail from time to time at the junction..:tumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

087 passes through Tara junction hauling the laden fertiliser......

On 2/29/2020 at 2:03 PM, Noel said:

You went for ten ferts! 👍

Yes- Maximum load for laden fertiliser trains.....and for the IRM A/001 class with a growling sound chip fitted for added effect

• Like 2

Friday evening freight sees a pallet cement train arrive behind 190+184 at the Lakeview freight yard and is in the process of being shunted to the siding for unloading to begin.

The yard pilot locomotive 181 prepares to shunt the BELL and B&I bogie liner train into position for departure/

IMG_E4185.JPG

IMG_E4186.JPG

• Like 4