Rate this topic

ttc0169

• 2 weeks later...

Some weekend engineering  work is currently taking place on Tara junction involving some road rail and other machinery,

Retro 073 arrived at the worksite earlier hauling the Donelli relaying gantries which were put to work removing some track panels,

The area is been cleared to facilitate the installation of a new crossover...…. here are a selection photos from todays operation.

IMG_E4233.JPG

IMG_E4234.JPG

IMG_E4235.JPG

IMG_E4236.JPG

IMG_E4237.JPG

IMG_E4239.JPG

IMG_E4240.JPG

IMG_E4241.JPG

IMG_E4242.JPG

IMG_E4244.JPG

• Like 8

I recently finished scratch building a model of the Linmag  rail milling machine, I used a non motorised tamper and a tipping truck as the base models to work on,

The real machine travels around the country working at night on the rail network but can normally be found parked up at stations or yards during the day,

Here are a few photos of the model version as it arrives at the Lakeview freight yard to access the network via the concrete hard standing area,

Later on after some checks are made we see the vehicle pass through Tara junction station prior to starting work-and after the up main line was done the vehicle worked to the permanent way siding to stable for the day.:tumbsup:

IMG_E4282.JPG

IMG_E4277.JPG

IMG_E4278.JPG

IMG_E4279.JPG

IMG_E4280.JPG

IMG_E4283.JPG

IMG_E4284.JPG

IMG_E4285.JPG

IMG_E4286.JPG

IMG_E4289.JPG

• Like 6

The new load bank building was commissioned yesterday at the MPD on Tara junction,

Enterprise locomotive 8208 was the first to be tested at the facility, here is a video of that operation taking place.

I scratch built the building after observing the real load bank being used to test locomotive 079 at Inchicore works in early March.

IMG_E4361.JPG

IMG_E4362.JPG

IMG_E4360.JPG

IMG_E4363.JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1

Some passenger train action on Tara junction,

6101+234 on Mk3 push pull duties depart with a late running service from the platform to make way for the arrival from Belfast of the Enterprise with 9001 leading and 209 propelling,

Over on platform two 222 hauls the Mk4 set away from the platform with control car 4001 trailing.

A general overview of the layout since a dimmer switch was fitted to the main room lights-this has greatly added to the warm atmosphere of the layout.

IMG_E4365.JPG

IMG_E4368.JPG

IMG_E4367.JPG

• Like 5

On 3/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, ttc0169 said:

Phase two of the installation of a new crossover at the west end of Tara junction was completed last weekend with final ballasting and tamping being completed last night,

Here we see a video of tamper 751 packing the crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohBKsflNaM

Brilliant as usual Noel. That's a nice piece of kit. There's also something very relaxing about watching the tamper in action :)

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 2:36 PM, burnthebox said:

As brilliant as those photos are & they are brilliant, I’d love to see this operation at NIGHT with of course the lights....!& the SHADOWS.....
BTB

This one is for you BTB.....

086 passes non-stop through Tara junction station working the 21:00 passenger/mail to Cork, comprised of two TPOs, a BR GSV and six MK2 coaches.....

• Like 4

The locomotive fleet controller has nominated locomotive 0117076 to work the wheel wagon transfer to Limerick,it is seen here being coupled by the shunter,

In the distance a worn out Enterprise locomotive 233 has arrived at the MPD for some attention to the exhaust and silencer.

Happy Easter to all fellow modellers.:cheers:

IMG_4396.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

• Like 7
  • WOW! 2

On this day eight years ago I started this thread about Tara junction, its been a fantastic journey to date-a house move a few years later brought a bigger house and a larger room to accommodate the layout, and more time to plan for what I wanted, a garage has been added two years ago and it has the potential for a 30'x 20' layout if required

For now I am very happy with what I have and with Irish railway modelling continuing to provide highly detailed rolling stock and the prospect of 001s and 121s the possibility's for recreating scenes from the 1980s/1990s are and will be possible fairly soon, Thanks must go to the lads at IRM and Paddy Murphy..

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to write kind comments about the layout, it is appreciated, so for my 1,534th post, here is a different view of the layout, the high street looking out the Sligo road direction. .Its not all about the train either.....:tumbsup:

IMG_E4497.JPG

IMG_E4493.JPG

IMG_E4496.JPG

IMG_E4494.JPG

IMG_E4492.JPG

• Like 11

When regular push pull locomotive 234 was required for examination at the MPD, a suitable replacement had to be found....so 220 was allocated to the push pull MK3 set and it is seen here propelling the set through Tara junction station.

• Like 9
  • Informative 1

A reeling in the years moment on Tara junction  after a marathon operating session that lasted six hours,

It was a back to a Sunday evening in the 1990s when orange and black ruled the rails, we see a variety of rolling stock from that era including two large passenger trains being hauled by 2x141s and an 071,see the following list for details,

• 160+192 hauling nine Cravens and a BR GSV forming the 15:35 Westport-Heuston,
  • 085 hauling ten Mk2 a/b coaches forming the 14:05 Tralee-Heuston
  • 087 hauling six Mk3s forming the 13:45 Limerick-Heuston,
  • 220 leading a five piece Mk3 push pull set-(6105)-forming the 17:30 Heuston-Waterford.
  • 187 has charge of the branch three coach Park royal set at the platform waiting for the road to proceed
  • 2601+2602 Arrow railcars are stabled in the bay platform.

Enjoy the memories....

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2