Irish Rail Puts Out Tender For Pre-owned D.M.U.

Rate this topic

Interesting the invitation to tender was issued by the NTA as the "contracting authority".

The invitation to tender includes the option of leasing or purchasing the trains directly by the NTA or IE acting as their nominated agent.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=141241&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictender.

This would simplify things if the government decides at some stage to contract out passenger train operation to Transdev or a similar operator.

Edited by Mayner

When Peter Smyth spoke to the London Area of the IRRS recently, he specifically mentioned the Class 185s as possible leased stock.

David, when you asked about a model, I thought - "but it's a Desiro and there's a couple of models on the market". Ah no, never trust a steam man talking about Diseasals - the 185s are a Desiro with a "Face"! The models might do for the intermediate cars, but not the driving trailers!

However, we've got some nice uncomfortable new electrics on the GWR - you can have them cheap - they already have diesel engines in them as they are "electric" trains, designed to run on an un-electrified railway.

You couldn't make it up!

No-one would believe that the Brits more or less invented railways and look at the place now! I must fill in my passport form.

Bring back the HSTs!

Hey, you could have a few of those - lovely trains even though they're forty years old!

Edited by leslie10646

Leslie how right you are,  I, cannot understand how  Net Work Rail cant finish the GWR electrification as it was planned,no money ?, obviating the need for the weird electrics that carry their own power station. But HS 2 ploughs ahead with a rumoured final cost of 100 Billion which we can afford? And where is all that electricity going to come from? I see only power stations being closed or farmers being paid for growing electricity  covering acres of land with solar panels or growing crops for biomas plants. I'm to old for all this but 2+2 does not seem too make 44 anymore. Rant over  😖

More boring railcars...........!!   185, 80 class, ICR, 2700, CAF......wadddever... Like Leslie, I'm a steam person!

The thing that strikes me above is the "transdev" word. The idea of Irish railways going down the chronically inefficient and costly privatisation path as in the United Kingdom of Brexit.........  doesn't bear thinking about. watch reliability plummet and process soar, as the money is generated from fares to pay fat cat bosses and boards of directors in other countries, with fat salaries. If fares don't cover it, sure the generous taxpayer will assist.

12 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

More boring railcars...........!!   185, 80 class, ICR, 2700, CAF......wadddever... Like Leslie, I'm a steam person!

The thing that strikes me above is the "transdev" word. The idea of Irish railways going down the chronically inefficient and costly privatisation path as in the United Kingdom of Brexit.........  doesn't bear thinking about. watch reliability plummet and process soar, as the money is generated from fares to pay fat cat bosses and boards of directors in other countries, with fat salaries. If fares don't cover it, sure the generous taxpayer will assist.

The subsidy was only as high as it was at privatisation in '95 as a sweetener for the "buyers". It would have been around a billion otherwise

Image result for rail subsidy uk history

• Like 2