Irish Freight Models

Rate this topic

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irish-Freight-Models-22-flat-wagons-x2-with-Bell-containers-Murphy-models-etc/264294074270?hash=item3d8927879e:g:zBoAAOSwvMhcvd6H&frcectupt=true

He has 2 on E Bay at the moment.         You can email Tommy     at        tommybrady@eircom.net

If you want them ready-to-run it normally takes about 6 weeks  for him to construct them

Ernie

Using Facebook, you have to be careful which kind of machine you use in order to get onto his store to make purchases. It’s ok using such as an iMac but my iPad doesn’t give me access to his store, very strange. I’m sure those more computer literate than me will understand why this is so. 

I agree with the comments that Tom is very good to deal with.

Stephen

5 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

How do you buy from IFM?  I do not use Facebook (and never will)

Would like to get some 22' skeleton flats.

Unfortunately Tom's website disappeared last year and now only uses FaceBook (which I also hate and avoid using like the plague). I usually order from Tom via email and pay via PayPal (tommybrady{AT}eircom.net). But the store part of his web site lists most of the available models. The 22ft skeletal wagon kits are listed at €45 for a pair of wagons.

https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Freight-Models-1252098201500518/app/251458316228/

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

If you email Tommy, he is always very attentive and will keep you posted on availability if something isn’t “off the shelf” at that time.

I have had several dealings with Irish Freigjt Models, all very satisfactory.

Agree a good guy to deal with. My only minor gripe has been I wish he'd supply his coaches with boxes rather than bubble wrap. Very happy with all the stock I bought off him over the years, especially the Park Royal coaches, TPOs and HLVs. I got 20ft skeletal container wagon kits from him last year for my 20ft BELL containers (see pic below).

Pre-Kadee

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just adding my voice to the above thread. I bought Park Royals and a TPO from Tom/IFM at the beginning of this year. Sent him a cheque. Could not fault the process and the models arrived, well packed, and the finish is excellent! no complaints whatsoever from me. Eamonn

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 7:29 PM, fishplate7 said:

Just adding my voice to the above thread. I bought Park Royals and a TPO from Tom/IFM at the beginning of this year. Sent him a cheque. Could not fault the process and the models arrived, well packed, and the finish is excellent! no complaints whatsoever from me. Eamonn

Fully agree with you Fishplate. I have got quite a lot of stuff from Tom and I have been very pleased with them.  We are blessed that we now have such a variety of quality Irish models.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered this only on Tuesday but arrived by post today Wednesday, now that's good service. Rebuilt Dutch GSV from Irish Freight Models. The bogies are particularly nice and have NEM pockets. Another little project. This GSV will be suitable for running with Bachmann mk2 Irish Rail coaches and has compatible corridors connectors as per the prototype.  The resin moulding is of good quality. Assembly and painting due in the next week or two. I understand these are mainly to be sold as RTR but I am grateful for getting my hands on a kit.

IMG_1124.thumb.jpg.600d80bf83d8fb8d9f3311b13909d96b.jpg

x

IMG_1125.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, skinner75 said:

I always liked the quirky look of the 'Dutch' van. I've an order in for a RTR one myself

The prototype was a bit of a Dalek alright but necessary to run with the Bachmann mk2a coaches.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 1:56 AM, Irishswissernie said:

DSC04477.thumb.JPG.33676a9da959fb008f87a9995962383e.JPG

Mine arrived from Tommy about 10 days after he announced them, this is the ready to run version.

Ernie

Hi Ernie, I got one of these recently from IFM and while I'm reasonably pleased with it, it does seem to me that the buffers are placed too high and your photograph appears to indicate the same issue with your one.  Accordingly I'm contemplating re-positioning and replacing these with perhaps Bachmann oval sprung buffers 36-031 but I'm not sure if these would be correct for this van. Does anyone have advise on this?

One other thought, while the NEM sockets are a nice feature, they are extremely tight to the point that the probe on a Symoba coupling/height gauge will not slide into the socket.  That plus the fact that they are bogie mounted is inclining me to fit Symboa slotted guides with NEM sockets to the underside of the body.  Note I'm really keen on close coupling and in the process of converting everything to Kadee.

There are two issues with the buffers fitted to the IFM rebuilt Dutch van. Firstly, as has been pointed out, they are much too high. I think this is due to the buffer beam not protruding below the body lower edge.

The second issue is that the buffers as seen in the picture are of a totally incorrect type. They should be of the retractable type, so that when coupled to Mk2 coaches with buckeye couplings, they can be retracted as the Pullman type gangway does the buffing. When coupled to a locomotive, the buffers are extended as so far as I know, no Irish locomotives are fitted with buckeye couplings. The only exception to this were the NIR Hunslets which were fitted with buckeye couplings and buffing plates from new.

For my scratchbuilt rebuilt Dutch van, I used MJT 2934 BR Mk1 Coach Retracted Buffers. As can be seen from the following picture, they are a totally different profile to the IFM buffers. The second picture shows the real thing. Note also the extension of the chassis below the bodyline at each end, for the lower buffer beam. This appears to be missing on the IFM model.

IMG_2786a.thumb.jpg.7b737dbdde5a6df26cb945587be5cf5a.jpg   DSCF0031__Small_.JPG.af0368ee950b21c88fdf6cd5cc8e532c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Not to derail the thread but when NIR first got their 201s they used buckeye couplings with their Mk2 sets, this made shunt releasing at Connolly a bit more involved as the pilot loco required the buckeye dropped then raised again for the NIR 201.

IE only used/use buckeye drophead coupling when the 201s were on Mk3 pushpull sets and for the CAF Mk4s. Another bit of trivia, the Irish Mk1 GSV buffers are not retractable (no need to be with suspension gangways fitted).