IRM Fert 1st Sample!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

14 hours ago, Railer said:

Quick question, will the final versions be ex works like previous wagons or as the samples.

Things like red brake handle and bogie detail picked out like the Tara's and Liners?

Hi Railer

The Fertiliser wagons received a lovely all over brown paint job when built so they never had the colors picked out like the flats or Tara’s. 

Hope that helps!

Brake wheels were never red on anything until comparatively recently, nor were bogies multi-coloured until even more recently.

Until about 1970, when all normal wagons were grey, brake wheels, bogies, ordinary wheels and running gear were too. Once wagons started being painted brown, all these bits were brown too, including in the fertiliser wagons.

I can't recall if any ferts got red brake wheels before they were scrapped. I could be wrong but I very much doubt it.

Certainly, no ferts ever had the current style of black bogies with green and blue details. Always brown bogies.

• Informative 3

14 hours ago, popeye said:

These models look fantastic, another beauty.

A question about colour, Were these wagons repainted into a more red-brown as in the picture below?

FERTS 4..jpg

Hi Popeye,

It is my understanding that in later life when outshopped after overhaul they may have been, but also a lot of them got replacement doors, panels (lot of ply used) so this could end up any random colours. Be interesting to see if anyone turns one of our models out like above with weathering thrown in too!