IRM Fert 1st Sample!

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

Were the pallets shrink wrapped or heat shrink wrapped Fran. There were withdrawn sets parked up in Waterford West for years near one of the spans for the Suir (Red Iron Bridge) rail bridge  I should have and never did get round to taking some pics and regret it now.

Rich,

1 hour ago, Warbonnet said:

Here's a preview of the deco of the pallets! As explained above, they pallets were wrapped in plastic with branding on them, and that's what our model will replicate! 

905051125_image(36).thumb.png.2cf66c40470785dea494c5e5ab0f7a43.png

Cheers!

Fran

Looks pretty spot on to me. Here is a screenshot of the real thing from the Railfreight Today DVD from Telerail.

Screenshot_20190712-180349_YouTube.jpg

Any plans to sell the fert loads as a seperate item? Detail on the wagons is impressive to say the least. Definitely on my shopping list.

Edited by iarnrod

Yes, Dive, I have two black’n’tan 141s, and I’ll have both anA and a 121 in that livery too.

Engines in the old BnT livery were around almost until 1980 - when I did much travelling in 1976/7 they were everywhere. So BnT livery haulage of these is perfectly appropriate, as are Supertrain and Tippex liveries.

If the budget holds, I’ll probably take six or eight.....

Will you be able to buy pallets separately in order to have them sitting on loading bays ready to be loaded, or having been unloaded?

• Like 1

It would be nice to have some pallet loads sitting around in your goods yard.

If the two bars that run along the top could be taken off you could remove the pallets and put the bars back on, also the middle bars would have to

come out to.

I see from picture one that the container locking lugs are there, will these be on the finished model?

Anybody into chewing gum?

It looks like you can still get it in those 'pillow-shaped' pieces - I wonder if the dimensions are close enough to use as random bags of fertiliser to leave around the place?

Actually, sounds a good way to attract the mice - you can bet your bottom Euro-cent they'd find them!

10 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

We are looking at the possibility of doing the pallets as an accessory item, watch this space.

Items like the fert pallets, beer kegs and CIE 20' containers could be found sitting around almost every yard back then, so would imagine these items would also sell as stand alone items if you were to release them.

9 hours ago, Broithe said:

Obviously, people buying fertiliser wagons, and then subsequently buying sugar beet wagons when they become available,  might need to consider if any internet surveillance might flag them up...?

Pass the blame onto the manufacturers !🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Warbonnet said:

Needs no further introduction really! Please note, this is a first sample and yes, we know there are corrections to be made! But, well, yum yum!!! :)

Pre-ordering will be open soon. You have been warned!

1022287112_Fert4.thumb.jpg.b075891415ce748330d93ede9c17287a.jpg

1932013862_Fert3.thumb.jpg.c25ec651efe3412af374e7515e07ab39.jpg

1861423175_Fert2.thumb.jpg.f2eb9f786b6395dd14889c416c9fc810.jpg

1990846878_Fert1.thumb.jpg.8d6b308eafc680c4157f7bf81bccd068.jpg

Cheers!

Fran

Another superb freight model,  spoilt for choice

On 7/12/2019 at 2:00 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Missed my Copyright overlay off this one! However it got me thinking or maybe I'm just having a 'Senior' moment. Was this traffic originating from New Ross and manufactured by a different company i.e. not Irish Fertiliser?

Ernie

Sorry about that Ernie. I Just posted the link. Great photo

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, Edo said:

It was " Albatross" fertilizer in New Ross Ernie - passed it every month on the way to my Grandad in Waterford in the back of my dad's bright orange Ford Avenger......yes it was the 70s.....yes the only thing louder was the geansai i was wearing....

Those Ford Avengers were a very rare breed!

Ah none of you grew up on a farm so if 10-10-20 doesn’t ring any bell

On the subject of cars the Goulding family had a Gold coloured Merc, reg was IO 1020 I kid you not
IO was a Kildare reg if memory serves me

Edited by WRENNEIRE

I had assumed that the loads would be removable so that the ferts could be run empty but of course I had forgotten about the center bars. In regards to the loads themselves there must obviously be a single pallet and a double height. Looking at old pictures these were never stacked more than three high in the yards before loading but I doubt that the plastic loads themselves would stack easily on one another unless a single were glued on top of a double. A pretty realistic yard would be made with a number of singles and possibly more doubles with Hyster forklift stuck in the mix. Not trying to nitpick but the IRM boys have made the palletized load too good. The detail of the individual bags is excellent but when the loads were shrink wrapped this obscures a lot of this detail as you can see in  Noels photos above. If I had an option I'd  prefer the load model to retain printing detail on the individual bags. If available as an option (like additional Bell, B&I or CIE containers etc) it would be nice to have a different print option for Goulding or Albatross

Edited by DiveController

Did the 46% Nitrogen (Urea) bag pallets have more in weight than the normal bags like the 10-10-20 and the 0-7-30? I remember as a teen them having more weight per bag, and also the pallets may have been a little bigger than the normal ones? If there is an option for pallets, would these be considered? I am not sure who produced them, something tells me it may have been IFI. Did the ferts also transport the huge bags? There was 4 of them on a pallet as well as an option other than the smaller bags. There was another bigger bag option available to farmer that was also on a pallet, specifically in the 90s

Have been washing the dishes (with a smile) for the last while. The Mrs thinks there's something up (the smile probably over did it). Trouble is that my hands have become so soft and wrinkly that I doubt I'll be fit to lift any of these wagons out of the box and put them on the track, let alone a 121 or an A class.

• Funny 1

On 7/12/2019 at 4:54 PM, RedRich said:

Were the pallets shrink wrapped or heat shrink wrapped Fran. There were withdrawn sets parked up in Waterford West for years near one of the spans for the Suir (Red Iron Bridge) rail bridge  I should have and never did get round to taking some pics and regret it now.

Rich,

Heat wrapped I think? 

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, spudfan said:

Have been washing the dishes (with a smile) for the last while. The Mrs thinks there's something up (the smile probably over did it). Trouble is that my hands have become so soft and wrinkly that I doubt I'll be fit to lift any of these wagons out of the box and put them on the track, let alone a 121 or an A class.

893359433_Nomoretrains.jpg.683af45886485c65520c85f16e901625.jpg

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• 1 month later...

Happy Friday everyone! Here is some pics of the decorated Ferts as a special weekend treat! We will have these available for inspection at the Stilorgan fair this weekend along with the liner sample, as well as a limited supply of bubbles, taras and ploughs. Drop by for a look and pick some wagons up!

The brake wheel position will be corrected on the production models and the fert bags will be painted the right colour too, but apart from that they're good to go after we land the liners! 

82835648_Fert1.thumb.JPG.ad4705dc4108e7a1c5852cf9414266aa.JPG

1121388201_Fertcoupled.thumb.JPG.973c4635cf1b77a8f5a220c75c3b5e72.JPG

343232066_FertSidebySide3quarter1.thumb.JPG.730f8986d0a696023f1a6c6851eecf45.JPG

• Like 12
  • WOW! 2

33 minutes ago, Edo said:

Looks great - when is order book opening?

As an aside - what track is that on the layout? Peco 83 bullhead?

We are going to hold off opening the order book until we have a firm delivery date after the messing around with the liners. Once our corrections are made and production is ready to go we will,  so it will be soon. We just need to sort stuff out with the factory first.

Track is C&L as far as I can remember! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1