Hunt couplings

Rate this topic

bhoulihan

Looks like a very interesting product that should work for the most part with rolling stock fitted with tension lock couplings with or without NEM sockets and it seems they cater to rolling stock that has NEM sockets that are not at the correct height. However,  coupling is achieved with magnetic attraction which means stock must always be placed on the track with opposing magnetic poles which is a limitation I don't like. It means for example that ideally for complete flexibility in the use of locos, they should have the same polarity at each end which means that rakes of rolling stock should also have the same polarity at each end (opposite to that of the locos) which means one item of rolling stock in each rake will have the same polarity at both ends.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BosKonay said:

We provide coupling bars with our kinematic stock. These work the same way. 

Kadee no 18s works a treat with your Taras, Container Flats and the Fertiliser Wagons. Much closer than the tension lock. The kinematic stock really benefits layouts with tighter curves.

IMG_8932.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

13 hours ago, bhoulihan said:

Hi wondering if hunt couplings would work with Irish coaches on your model layout as they are a uk company that makes them as they are new on the market and would you try them

Always good to post a link for those not familiar with the devices

This maybe?

https://www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk/couplings-new-c-2/hunt-couplings-close-coupling-10-pairs-for-nem-sockets-p-23

3 hours ago, Tarabuses said:

Which makes it surprising that no one has produced this type of coupling before.

I've seem them on O gauge coaching stock. Many of the RTR O gauge coaches in WMRC have magnetic couplings. The idea doesn't blow my skirt up as I cannot see how they would work with a shunting layout, but good alternative perhaps to Roco close couplers and Kadees

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I've seem them on O gauge coaching stock. Many of the RTR O gauge coaches in WMRC have magnetic couplings. The idea doesn't blow my skirt up as I cannot see how they would work with a shunting layout, but good alternative perhaps to Roco close couplers and Kadees

Correct, Wexford MRC use the equivalent in O for fixed rakes of coaches but use 3-link or screw-link couplings to the locomotives with a magnetic rod or fine tweezers to lift the links onto/off the hooks. Goods wagons in O tend to use 3-link couplings in the same way allowing hand assisted shunting.

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Make sure the undies are clean the last thing you want is the wind blowing up your skirt and the jocks looking like Brands Hatch 😀

Rich,