A new layout begins

Rate this topic

roxy_guy10

Boards going in tomorrow, 2ft wide all round, 10ft long on the short end, 13ft on the long end, so yes will have plenty to play with. My inner child always wanted a hornby suspension bridge so that will have to be worked in somewhere on the 13ft length.

• Like 3

I love Irish stuff and have a fair bit of it, but I run a bit of everything, won't be any particular era which I know isn't everyones cup of tea.

I put the green colour on the wall as a nod to the old CIE livery.

I am a confirmed DC only man, will probably be 4 lines (1st to 4th radius), passing loops, long sidings, lots of full length trains like the old layout, lots of operational potential.

Very old fashioned in the approach I know, but that's just me!!

• Like 5

17 hours ago, roxy_guy10 said:

I love Irish stuff and have a fair bit of it, but I run a bit of everything, won't be any particular era which I know isn't everyones cup of tea.

I put the green colour on the wall as a nod to the old CIE livery.

I am a confirmed DC only man, will probably be 4 lines (1st to 4th radius), passing loops, long sidings, lots of full length trains like the old layout, lots of operational potential.

Very old fashioned in the approach I know, but that's just me!!

Sounds my kinda railway I'm DC and a fellow attic layout too 🤣

• Like 1

The boards are 2ft wide all round, handy that way as they were split from 8x4.

The width of the room is 13ft so the long edge is 13ft long, the dept is 10ft, I could not go anymore than 10ft on the short edge as it would block access to the water tank.

It's a good space alright, my last one was made exactly the same way but we could only go 7ft on the short edge, 10ft on the long edge.

A 2ft width can easily fit 1st-4th radius and till have room for passing loops or long sidings. In fact on my last layout a squeezed in a 5th line using jouef 12inch radius track which could run pannier tanks and the like. Then I added an elevated line also, bringing it to 6 lines. Complete madness I know, but it was good fun! I'll probably do the same here.

• Like 1

Fab space. Enjoy, you have a blank canvas so the possibilities are only limited by your imagination. Suggest get any lighting or back scenes sorted now while  it is easier to reach across the boards and work before track is laid.

Cheers Noel, Yes back scenes and low relief buildings are a must for me, they add so much. I'm a sucker for the old peco ones, rather than photo realistic ones.

I find the trouble with a photo realistic one is that if your layout isn't super detailed and accurate they can look out of place. 

• Like 2

Fantastic bit of space to have. Looks very impressive. Just a suggestion, but if you're planning to continue with updates maybe move the thread to the layout section, rather than having it in General Chat, it'll be easier to find when members are browsing. 

• Informative 1

On 5/14/2020 at 8:24 AM, roxy_guy10 said:

The boards are 2ft wide all round, handy that way as they were split from 8x4.

The width of the room is 13ft so the long edge is 13ft long, the dept is 10ft, I could not go anymore than 10ft on the short edge as it would block access to the water tank.

It's a good space alright, my last one was made exactly the same way but we could only go 7ft on the short edge, 10ft on the long edge.

A 2ft width can easily fit 1st-4th radius and till have room for passing loops or long sidings. In fact on my last layout a squeezed in a 5th line using jouef 12inch radius track which could run pannier tanks and the like. Then I added an elevated line also, bringing it to 6 lines. Complete madness I know, but it was good fun! I'll probably do the same here.

Hi Roxy & many thanks just wondering on a board 1ft 3ins inches wide what do you think of the possibility of having a turntable located on it. which is 16ft X 8ft & a couple of straights passing by...! Do you think that’s possible,, TIA

BTB

21 hours ago, burnthebox said:

Hi Roxy & many thanks just wondering on a board 1ft 3ins inches wide what do you think of the possibility of having a turntable located on it. which is 16ft X 8ft & a couple of straights passing by...! Do you think that’s possible,, TIA

BTB

I'm not an expert by any means but once the turntable wasn't any wider than 1ft you be able to use the nearest exits above an below the 180 degree position which might give you 4 exits on either side depending on the turntable. The hornby turntable wouldn't be great, it's very noisy and clunky. 

Track down - 4 lines down with 5 very long siding, some of which are between the third and fourth radius as I brought line out wider to create that space. 

Layout can have 9 full length trains now. Still room for more sidings and the possibility of a fifth line.  Anyone offended by sectional track should look away now!

IMG_1830.jpg

Edited by roxy_guy10
  • Like 6
  • WOW! 1

Looks great. Jut one small thing i never like and that is the Hornby  signal box. I know this is not my layout but i do find they don t look as realistic. Best advice i can give you on improving them. Build your own using the building measurement. You will enjoy building as you learn new techniques and you make great model.

Hope i do not seem rude and hope this can help in any way.

MM  

19 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Looks great. Jut one small thing i never like and that is the Hornby  signal box. I know this is not my layout but i do find they don t look as realistic. Best advice i can give you on improving them. Build your own using the building measurement. You will enjoy building as you learn new techniques and you make great model.

Hope i do not seem rude and hope this can help in any way.

MM  

Not at all, I tend the use whatever I have, I grew up lusting after lima and hornby stuff in model shops so it's left a sort of misplaced loyalty, no doubt other manufacturers make better stuff.

The metcalfe signal box is quite nice.

My layout is basically a really big train set with a very 80's approach, which is a reflection on when I was growing up. The little signal box I've has since I was a nipper so it's always been on a layout in some way. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:18 AM, roxy_guy10 said:

Cheers Noel, Yes back scenes and low relief buildings are a must for me, they add so much. I'm a sucker for the old peco ones, rather than photo realistic ones.

I find the trouble with a photo realistic one is that if your layout isn't super detailed and accurate they can look out of place. 

I know what you mean, me too, I have an affinity since childhood with the old peco backscenes, they just scream model trains at large in ones own imaginary world. Over the years I got a number of PMs suggesting I change my Peco Backscenes. Just trying one small section with photo realistic ones. An iPad just doesn't concur up the same excitement as the old Victor comic.

Love that Airfix dock crane kit. I remember saving up to buy one from W J Owens in Bray late 1960s. Think Dapol may own the tooling now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

I know what you mean, me too, I have an affinity since childhood with the old peco backscenes, they just scream model trains at large in ones own imaginary world. Over the years I got a number of PMs suggesting I change my Peco Backscenes. Just trying one small section with photo realistic ones. An iPad just doesn't concur up the same excitement as the old Victor comic.

Love that Airfix dock crane kit. I remember saving up to buy one from W J Owens in Bray late 1960s. Think Dapol may own the tooling now.

Yip, there's something about the peco ones that does it for me! I suppose it's all fuelled by nostalgia. I'm the kind of weirdo who buys old lima and hornby catalogues and flicks through them pretending I'm 10 years old again. That's a dapol crane alright, the tooling like you said is very old, but they still look good for the money.

• Like 1