Irish themed container terminal

Rate this topic

timmycork

Hi everyone,

long time away from model railways but would like to put a bit of a layout going again, always liked the idea of a container terminal and saw this while looking around lately. 

https://www.faller.de/gb/en/Products/Track-gauges/H0-selection/Trade-business-industry/Industry/Container-bridge-crane-sid4566.html

opinions and offers to make it appreciated 

B54C2B34-43D6-4730-ADCD-625C1ED4E837.jpeg

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

It is a sizeable model alright, built like that it’s 2 foot wide (but can be made smaller) 1 foot high and 1 foot deep. I have an old Lima one I resprayed but doesn’t have the same wow factor as the faller, nor did it have the price tag to be fair, this can be a static model €3-350 or put working for an extra €300. Good to have dreams in life lol. 

pic of smaller build and my own Lima model

783D1FBD-0878-4FE4-96DB-F5EDED9ECAFA.jpeg

50B902D7-1750-4F76-8924-857B125118F5.jpeg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, popeye said:

How about this one from Kibri 38530 for around £ 50.

You could paint it light grey.

They might be a bit hard to find.

Kibri 38530 crane £52..jpg

KIBRI Crane...jpg

The Kibri gantry is not unlike those used by CIE in larger years like Heuston Goods and the North Wall during the 70s

scan0125.thumb.jpg.9ee825aa424774174db6286db1c38a81.jpg

The gantries appear to have been a modular design that could be set up for specific sites varying from single to multiple sidings.

The forklift is similar in size to those used for container handling at yards like Ballinasloe, Galway and Tralee where gantries were not provided.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, irishthump said:

This one might suit....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233757712324

THAT one looks more like most Irish ones.

It seems to me that most (but not all) Irish ones had "plain" legs rather than the very "latticed" design on the Faller one. If no alternative can be found to buying that huge one, you can always imagine that CIE had decided some time in the 1970s to build one huge container yard to replace all the other goods yards and facilities all around Dublin.......gives an excuse for a freelance yard as big as you want it!

• Like 1