New phots of IR from the 1990

Rate this topic

Yeah they are brilliant. Several interesting movements caught on camera.

The Athy pictures showing what appears to be the delayed up Bell liner reversing into the Ballylinan branch siding to make way for the crossing of the two scheduled passenger services is really super. Probably a rare occurrence as the liner should have been approaching Heuston already at that stage.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, murphaph said:

This one is a cracker:

Wagon at Galway on 24 June 1993

Interesting photo I didn't realise that the 62'9" airbraked flats that ran on the Galway Liner mail were through piped to operate with vacuum fitted stock, the BR Vans and TPO & mail storage vans were through piped to run with air braked stock, the through piping of the wagons would have allowed the non-passenger coaching stock to be attached to the rear of the Liner rather than coupled directly to the loco.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 9 months later...

Great pictures .

On 22/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, Rob said:

The Valet Shed looks very clean in 1993, and without any of the current extracting equipment visible.

When was it first built?

Screenshot_20210322-230553_Gallery.jpg

I think it was built in the early 1970's to coincide with the arrival of the Mk2D stock from BR and use and maintenance of train sets of them .

• Thanks 1

Superb pics.

Am I the only one who, after seeing so many excellent colour shots, just scrolled past the black & white ones?

Atmospheric as some of these could be, I just could never understand the preference some have for B&W over colour. We don't see in B&W.

Always thought the bright blue station colour scheme in the 1990s looked utterly ghastly - so garish. Clashed badly with the orange and black trains.

Grouch-like as all of the above sounds, brilliant photos with good colour rendition too, and well composed and sharp. Hopefully Pauline has some more!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Superb pics.

Am I the only one who, after seeing so many excellent colour shots, just scrolled past the black & white ones?

Atmospheric as some of these could be, I just could never understand the preference some have for B&W over colour. We don't see in B&W.

Always thought the bright blue station colour scheme in the 1990s looked utterly ghastly - so garish. Clashed badly with the orange and black trains.

Grouch-like as all of the above sounds, brilliant photos with good colour rendition too, and well composed and sharp. Hopefully Pauline has some more!

Although the quality has improved over yesterdecades, as a generalization, B&W from the 1950s  has a lot better quality than many color shots from the 1970. If the garish blues or newer PW stock offends,  best stay with the B&Ws?

Hadn't realized that they Tara’s had the last 2 digits emboldened high on the side to ID the wagon

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Superb pics.

Ah, Jon, ye've sold yer soul to the Divil -

B&W film (and results) was Light Years better than Colour until mid sixties, at least.

That said, as Pauline demonstrates, colour is massively useful to the modeller.

Good colour film would have settled what GN Blue looked like, or, indeed, the green of GSR Green (on the 800s)?  A pity John Ford didn't find an excuse to get John Wayne to Ballyglunin via Belfast and Cork?

• Like 2
  • Funny 1