New Community Map

Rate this topic

BosKonay

I stuck my name on this but it actually gives the exact location of my gaf which TBH is not ideal, I thought it would be like a general location of my Village area.

Not sure if this is a good idea especially insurance wise if you are advertising where you live and stuff gets nicked? 

I used my Work computer now to change the location and its in the Cork area so that will do.

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

I stuck my name on this but it actually gives the exact location of my gaf which TBH is not ideal, I thought it would be like a general location of my Village area.

Not sure if this is a good idea especially insurance wise if you are advertising where you live and stuff gets nicked? 

I used my Work computer now to change the location and its in the Cork area so that will do.

It will if you 'share your location' otherwise just enter the townland or area and it will show that

It's a great idea from a community point of view, once people are careful to only enter their post-codes while opting in, not their actual addresses.

I see one or two members putting random addresses, presumably to try be funny, but that kind of defies the point.

If you don't wanna opt-in, no problem, but at least respect those who do.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Liam_Murph said:

You are all way in the south with your winter sunlight and greenery by my reckoning....

Wow, and you're up near the North Pole! I hear all of the 53 degreeers mumbling about heating and damp and not being able to use their garden sheds in the winter, but you must have that 365 days per year!

32 minutes ago, chris said:

i havent opted in and its showing my location...

There coming for you!

38 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

It's a great idea from a community point of view, once people are careful to only enter their post-codes while opting in, not their actual addresses.

I see one or two members putting random addresses, presumably to try be funny, but that kind of defies the point.

If you don't wanna opt-in, no problem, but at least respect those who do.

Yeah can those be deleted as not point is having corrupts data in there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Irish post codes (Eircodes) are specific to actual addresses so these should not be used here, suggest using the name of the townland or suburb.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Yeah the Eircode is too specific for stuff like this and should not be used for security reasons. Townland or suburb is grand in Ireland. Outside Ireland I've never heard of a postcode resolving to a unique address but I guess you will know this if you live somewhere where it does.

Absolutely delighted to see so many opting in. It gives a great mental picture of the community. 

Edited by murphaph
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Yeah the Eircode is too specific for stuff like this and should not be used for security reasons. Townland or suburb is grand in Ireland. Outside Ireland I've never heard of a postcode resolving to a unique address but I guess you will know this if you live somewhere where it does.

Absolutely delighted to see so many opting in. It gives a great mental picture of the community. 

Although, I was expecting to see at least a few flags more dotted throughout the mainland.

I just entered the name of the town - and it's placed me between the 'main pub' and the chipper,

That seems handy enough.

My 'place of residence', in the legal sense, is on the Big Island, but I've been there less than half the time over the last three years.

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Although, I was expecting to see at least a few flags more dotted throughout the mainland.

"Mainland"?

9 hours ago, chris said:

i havent opted in and its showing my location...

Possibly due to sharing location on your iphone or something?

I had to add mine........

I hovered over my place of residence on the map, and it put me about 7km away. Tried again, it did the same.

Third time lucky - at least it now has me in the vicinity of where I live - even if the EXACT spot it's put me is in the middle of a 20 acre field...........

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

"Mainland"?

Yeah, the mainland, Europe, the big piece of land that we're inextrucably linked to.

You guys are a little European satellite just west of BrExitland, which will probably have great military advantage when BrExit brings us to the brink of war, and we're a little European satellite a couple of thousand kilometres south.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Yeah, the mainland, Europe, the big piece of land that we're inextrucably linked to.

You guys are a little European satellite just west of BrExitland, which will probably have great military advantage when BrExit brings us to the brink of war, and we're a little European satellite a couple of thousand kilometres south.

Ah! Got ye; I thought you MEANT Brexitland....

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

20 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Ah! Got ye; I thought you MEANT Brexitland....

BrExitland is now just a little island off the coast of France. What do they say? The first country in recorded history to impose sanctions on themselves?

Although down here, "Mainland" can also refer to mainland Spain... Where An Post are still shipping IRM orders, despite not shipping them down here!

I'm looking at you, Tom and Fernando!

• Like 2