IE Class 22000 Resprays?

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

Just saw this in the news, GWR Class 800's are falling apart...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57036247

Got me thinking, though, that they look very very similar to the 22000's.

Some nice side-views here:

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=253

I wonder if they would make passable repaints?

Does anybody have a similar 22000 schematic for comparison?

17 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

What do you suggest instead?

BR class 170 DMU's resprayed to vaguely look like ICRs but doors are completely wrong. Great pressie for a grandchild though. If you bought a Bachmann class 170 and cannibalised it to get the doors correct and then get a respray done by Tony Mirolo, Anthony Smyth, Richie, etc, it might look a lot closer than an 800 class.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noel said:

BR class 170 DMU's resprayed to vaguely look like ICRs but doors are completely wrong. Great pressie for a grandchild though. If you bought a Bachmann class 170 and cannibalised it to get the doors correct and then get a respray done by Tony Mirolo, Anthony Smyth, Richie, etc, it might look a lot closer than an 800 class.

I think that the Class 800 nose is closer than the Class 170.

20 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I think that the Class 800 nose is closer than the Class 170.

800 looks a bit point'y and aerodynamic. The 170 is a bit blunt alright but that's what happens when a yoyo gets a belt of a shovel. :) 

• Funny 1

While my personal knowledge is almost non-existent of these coloured pipes that run along railways in England, I am well aware that they've a following - and will do even more in the future, I would guess.

Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to do a basic bodyshell, or possibly a suitable profiled end that could be stuck onto a British one as a replacement end to the correct profile?

We can make a very good conversion of a steam engine from one type to another completely different prototype by changing the cab and side tanks........

• Like 2

So the 170 is too flat and the 800 is too pointy...

Maybe IRM have some in the pipeline, after the A's, the blue Tara's, the 47' flats, the Road Liner trucks and the green buses, of course.

Chris Dyer's 166 repaints will do the job perfectly for my 29000's, but neither the 170 nor 800 will work for a 22000.

Balls.

Fabulous work, there, Enda!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Past-Avenue said:

Hi guys,

Here's a Bachmann 170, that I did myself last year. Very pleased how it turned out.

Yea that looks way better than Chris Dyre's resprays as the doors are at least in the correct positions instead at commuter positions along the sides. Nice job. Looks like a 22k.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yea that looks way better than Chris Dyre's resprays as the doors are at least in the correct positions instead at commuter positions along the sides. Nice job. Looks like a 22k.

Jaysus, Noel, any excuse to knock poor old Chris Dyer.

😂

He fills a niche market, AND has been an invaluable source of hard-to-find and long-sold-out stuff over the past year or two.

It is possible to compliment Enda without battering Chris, ya know?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Jaysus, Noel, any excuse to knock poor old Chris Dyer.

😂

He fills a niche market, AND has been an invaluable source of hard-to-find and long-sold-out stuff over the past year or two.

It is possible to compliment Enda without battering Chris, ya know?

Agree Chris does serve a market niche, especially for mk3 and mk4 coaches and indeed 8 years ago I managed to source most of my 141/181s from him, so no complaints from me. Delighted with his service. I was however disappointed to hear about new 22k models, a few years ago especially Upon seeing the nice boxes which depicted Photo images of a correct 22k classs DMU, Only to be disappointed upon open said box to see a class 170 with the incorrect commuter double doors along the sides, albeit beautifully resprayed, but not looking like the photo of a real 22k on the box. No battering just matter of fact. Enda IMHO did a superb job getting his ICR set looking more like the rotem’s that actually run here for Irish Rail.

• Like 1

Hi guy's I do think that there is a market for a 22k as it's the most common train that people see and might appeal  to the younger generation  and draw them into the hobby . I'd love to get my hands on another class 170 and there are a few things that i would improve  on and tidy it up plus i still have to add directional lighting .

I'm not a experienced model maker and there are a'lot of highly talented people on this form that would be more capable to do a much better job than i could but that's  one of the things i really enjoy and get the most satisfaction from is scratch building or altering something etc. 

Enda

• Like 4

I think it is a "given"  that  a 22K will be RTR .   Thinking back Triang got the 101 dmu  to market at a time when it was seen as a "devil incarnate" doing the deed on branch steam and it sold well .  Also  APT  sets were out before the real one met its demise.   

Yes the one livery might seem an issue but again the 101 was at that point only in green.    Dapol in N have shown with its 220 221 voyager fleet that sales buoyant with some 15  220 sets at market with the then only Virgin livery - albeit namers,  arrival of Crosscountry and now Advanti liveries  to add colour.  Perhaps / inevitably  the 22K will get livery make overs if say Hybrid or Enterprise versions appear. 

Just a case of putting money under the mattress ( other saving options are available) and waiting  I would hope / think / expect ( delete as you feel)  that IRM will be the lead on this project, unless another new kid appears on the block.

Robert

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I was however disappointed to hear about new 22k models, a few years ago especially Upon seeing the nice boxes which depicted Photo images of a correct 22k classs DMU, Only to be disappointed upon open said box to see a class 170 with the incorrect commuter double doors along the sides, albeit beautifully resprayed, but not looking like the photo of a real 22k on the box. No battering just matter of fact.

I'm sure if there was an accurate 22000 available, we'd know about it! Chris is known for his resprays, not so much for commissioning new tooling for runs of models, so it's fair to assume that what's in the box is a respray, that's all.

2 hours ago, Past-Avenue said:

Hi guy's I do think that there is a market for a 22k as it's the most common train that people see and might appeal  to the younger generation  and draw them into the hobby .

Agreed, railcars are very much the future, as well as the present, so would be something that younger modellers would recognise.

Plus, they're great for somebody with a small layout who feels that a too-short loco-hauled train looks a bit off.

• Like 1

Maybe it’s the pills I’m on, or advancing senile bewilderment, but even I would be tempted to buy one of those silver pipes on wheels, as a curio to remind me of regular travel between Galway and Dublin in recent years. 

But it would have to have a working model of the tea trolley, its Eastern European staff, and REAL kitkats.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

13 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Maybe it’s the pills I’m on, or advancing senile bewilderment, but even I would be tempted to buy one of those silver pipes on wheels, as a curio to remind me of regular travel between Galway and Dublin in recent years. 

But it would have to have a working model of the tea trolley, its Eastern European staff, and REAL kitkats.

Not just East European staff on the Cork run...

What is Vladimir Putin doing in Portarlington? · The Daily Edge

Don't sit in his seat...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3