Philip's Workbench

Rate this topic

murphaph

It sure does, though a toothbrush is still required after an overnight soaking. It might fall off if left for longer. Interestingly the plastic was a close approximation to the final colour in both cases, but the models were still sprayed rather than just relying on the coloured plastic. I wonder what the rationale was for selecting a "very close to the final colour" plastic, only to spray over it anyway. My guess is that after QA, the colour wasn't close enough perhaps and a decision was taken to spray the base colour rather than rely on the plastic itself. Who knows. I found it curious anyway.

• Informative 2

• 3 weeks later...

Very first attempt at weathering anything. My son's Lima H0 stuff served as guinea pigs. IMG_20220508_150246716_HDR.thumb.jpg.087876d894d5c72b28f1a18a146cbb75.jpg

IMG_20220508_150410539_HDR.thumb.jpg.b8577cbe57f7ed527906db78b84ec9d7.jpg

IMG_20220508_150606771_HDR.thumb.jpg.de064e70cdf64ba055c6deb9e33f2f86.jpg

IMG_20220508_150721088_HDR.thumb.jpg.7ec3f42e392b9f656d5a3b471a3bce92.jpg

I used Lifecolor acrylics. Just roof dirt and frame dirt shades, airbrushed on. I will give them a varnish and try some rust streaking effects too I think.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

No it's bought not built. I did modify it though. The fan it came with was stripped out (super loud thing) and a replacement manifold the same size as the fan body was made out of a piece of scrap wood and I plumbed it into my house's ventilation system so it runs silently and in fact more powerfully than with the fan in.

• Like 1

You know what he scraped it off? The little makeshift canopy over the loading bay. Two or three brackets with a bit of galvanised aluminium thrown on top, so that they can unload the trucks in the rain. Must have been lashing one day and he ripped the size along one of those three brackets. Gobshite.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sean said:

Hey Phil.

Any chance you could measure the length and height of the dutch van body shell for me as i am looking for a suitable donor to make one.

Sean

Will do Sean. Give me a couple of days to dig it out from "storage".

• Like 1

Hornby shorty M3 might be a good place to start  for roof and connectors .  Due slab sides  it might be a case of  cutting your own as cheapest option other wise something like a GUV or CCT from Lima ranges but you will still end up cutting doors and windows etc.  Vents I got for mine from Ventura models on FB, IIRC as cannot find link now.

Robert   

• Like 2

On 30/5/2022 at 10:47 PM, murphaph said:

A similarly clumsy driver seems to have caught this by now faded Bell container in the same way:

IMG_20220530_160548685.thumb.jpg.c0add655416f493e7a62c2fbf7a72d3c.jpg.8406d45ac316c2f1fc7781fea3b68282.jpg

Nice job on the BELL. I've a lump of these sitting on the bench half finished. Must get back around to them at some stage.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bake at gas mark 5 for 1 hour....

IMG_20220713_172005672_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.3bb2d9aee9c41840556a2407603450b2.jpg

I decided to do something with these spoil containers which are too modern for my chosen era. Maybe I will find a spot for them in a corner somewhere someday. The one at the back was the first thing I attempted to weather and it was....bad. I think I can save it though. The rest are being weathered from new condition. First I am spraying the inside as they were not yellow inside for very long at all. Rust soon took over more or less completely on the inside surfaces. When these are dry (that's actually why they were in the dehydrator) I'll apply a wash and a blast of sleeper grime. Might make the numbers look more recently patched too.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...