Philip's Workbench

Rate this topic

murphaph

On 1/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, popeye said:

Did it fall from a plane?

You might be able to get some new parts from IRM.

And lots of weathering could hide any bad damage.

good luck.

Already checked with IRM and they have no spares available at all, for anything other than warranty repairs - which this very obviously isn't!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Horsetan said:

That's a write-off, then.

Would be good source of spares, though.....

Actually, good thinking - just like the real thing. Even back to steam days, many a loco yard had a few ancient "cripples" in it, which were periodically raided in order to retrieve a spare part - and then there's today's "real" 201s!

A bit of ingenuity and you could at least make a few shekels selling bits on fleabay........ though I agree with others, if anyone can fix it you can!

• Like 1

The crack to the body is going to have to be hidden under weathering. The missing wiper can't be hidden unfortunately and as DJ says IRM don't have any spares like that or none available to the public at least so she shall remain wiperless on that side. I am sure some wipers broke off on the prototype. The main thing is she is back together and running again.

I had to completely remove the main PCB to get in at the worm gears etc. There wasn't enough slack in the pickup wires to push the PCB to one side in this case so I had to desolder the pickups as well as the motor leads and lift the PCB + cab interiors out and off the chassis. The cab interiors sit firmly but will release with a bit of wiggling. They are an awful lot easier to strip down than the MM locos it has to be said.

The missing horn has since been located and glued back on by the way 😉

Next job will be to weather it "extensively" at the wish of its owner so don't blame me 😄

• Like 4
  • WOW! 6

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The crack to the body is going to have to be hidden under weathering. The missing wiper can't be hidden unfortunately and as DJ says IRM don't have any spares like that or none available to the public at least so she shall remain wiperless on that side. I am sure some wipers broke off on the prototype. The main thing is she is back together and running again.

I had to completely remove the main PCB to get in at the worm gears etc. There wasn't enough slack in the pickup wires to push the PCB to one side in this case so I had to desolder the pickups as well as the motor leads and lift the PCB + cab interiors out and off the chassis. The cab interiors sit firmly but will release with a bit of wiggling. They are an awful lot easier to strip down than the MM locos it has to be said.

Next job will be to weather it "extensively" at the wish of its owner so don't blame me 😄

Fair dues lad, great stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I'm not sure if "extensively" was the exact wording used. It was more like "do your worst" ...

I guess I owe you an Abrakebabra if I ever get off the island and get my back side up to the Raheney show.

Due to be Blackrock this year I think, will have to spring for a foive goys!

• Funny 1

23 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I once saw a 66 at Holyhead, that, apart from the sweeps of the wipers, looked like the whole thing had just been given a nice even coat of Halfords grey primer.

I wasn't in a position to record the image, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

22 minutes ago, murphaph said:

DJ has been trying to get in touch with Des about 071 wipers without much success AFAIK. @DJ Dangerous ?

Spoke with @Weshty at the start of January regarding 071 wipers and he said:

"I don't have any 071 wipers at the moment and it will be a while before I get a new order in.  I'll let you know."

I never asked about A Class wipers at the time as I didn't realise that 048 was missing one, but I assume it's the same scenario.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

Well done @murphaph! 👏👏👏 Clearly the force is strong in you.

Would 3D printing be an option for the wiper, or maybe resin casting a copy from one of the remaining wipers???

The wipers are filigrane so taking a cast is a no go really. They are so filigrane as to be difficult to see to be honest! We'll probably just live with the missing wiper and say it was lost in real life.

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, murphaph said:

Great result! Hats off to you with this, it sure as hell looked like a goner....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I thought that this project would have been more challenging for you. I'm disappointed that a write-off was so easy to sort. I'll have to put more thought into your next challenge. Maybe some sort of global scavenger hunt to recover the shattered pieces, first.

Three locos, put through a mincer, all the bits supplied in the one plastic bag, no prior identification.

Let's see how good he really is.

• Funny 4

39 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

With all the brexit stuff now, we all have to get inoculations, passports and masks, and negotiate supply chain issues at the Ha'penny bridge...........

I will have to cross the Shannon as well as the Liffey  if I visit Dublin!!  :)  

Edited by irishmail
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Broithe said:

Three locos, put through a mincer, all the bits supplied in the one plastic bag, no prior identification.

Let's see how good he really is.

i have an even better idea.

Next time he's down here, I throw the three of them off the balcony so he has to scavenge the fragments, first.

Giving him all of the pieces just makes it too easy. He needs to work at the next one.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1