CIE Skeleton Wagon

Rate this topic

Kirley

Leslie seems to have kept quiet about this one, but shares a similar chassis to the beet doubles

Nice looking wagon which fills a large gap in 'modernish" Irish freight stock as the chassis is similar to those used under the Burma and CIE Stores Oil Tank Wagons.

The flats seem to have been mainly used for carrying oil and bitumen containers following the widespread introduction of bogie container flats and fertiliser wagons.

The Irish Tar & Bitumen containers were similar in design to http://www.meeberg.com/stock-for-sale/stock/6http://www.meeberg.com/stock-for-sale/stock/6 with a steel billboard fixed across the bracing bay at one end with advertising for Irish Tar and Bitumen.

Perhaps Weshty might release the container from Ammonia barrier wagon kit as a separate item & with Irish Tar and Bitumen billboards and decal sets.

Leslie seems to have kept quiet about this one, but shares a similar chassis to the beet doubles

Nice looking wagon which fills a large gap in 'modernish" Irish freight stock as the chassis is similar to those used under the Burma and CIE Stores Oil Tank Wagons.

The flats seem to have been mainly used for carrying oil and bitumen containers following the widespread introduction of bogie container flats and fertiliser wagons.

The Irish Tar & Bitumen containers were similar in design to http://www.meeberg.com/stock-for-sale/stock/6http://www.meeberg.com/stock-for-sale/stock/6 with a steel billboard fixed across the bracing bay at one end with advertising for Irish Tar and Bitumen.

Perhaps Weshty might release the container from Ammonia barrier wagon kit as a separate item & with Irish Tar and Bitumen billboards and decal sets.

That link doesn't seem to be working, John

Apologies, folks, I kept this one under my hat for the Bangor Show which is where Kieran got his.

I will post it on my website when I get a further supply in, having cleared the first couple of dozen.

As John says, it IS the same chassis from the Beet.

BUT that kit does not have the skeleton, vacuum pipes etc, which are visible in this version.

As usual Kieran has done a super job - indeed, I gave Nelson one to build, which he did at Bangor and presented me with it painted, recalled on the Sunday - that's the one I'll show on the website. I should explain, I didn't like the chocolate brown in which my prototype was painted!

I hope to have them available again in about a month - Michael is on his hols in Malta for another week or so!

They are £23 or €27.50 post paid. As always, if you buy more than one kit, I usually can knock about a quid off subsequent kits.

NOW -

We plan to do this "Flat" several ways -

a) As Kieran has shown you - the pure "Skeleton" which is the 27xxx series 20ft container flat built around 1970;

b) The same wagon, but without a skeleton interior for you to run WITH a container - after all, you can't see the detail - so save yourselves a bit by having this version if you're always going to have a container atop the chassis. In effect this IS the Beet chassis and such a kit will be a £1.50 (€2) cheaper than the present skeleton;

c) finally, the 1966 20ft container flat WITH a Container included - this will be the same chassis but with a thin floor - the 1966 ones were like this (but Heaven knows what the floor actually looked like - if you have photo, please let me see it!!!!).

By selling it with the container on top, I don't need to know that detail. The container will be a standard side door CIE Container of the period - "the orange ones" - I found a survivor, thanks to Anthony McDonald and we measured it up, photographed it within an inch of its life and it awaits Michael's return!

So, Kieran having let the Cat out of the Bag - I have now totally spilt the beans and you know what will be around for Blackrock!

Not finished yet - there was something interesting beside the old CIE job …….

Regards to you all and congrats Kieran on a typically nice job!

Leslie

I think there were distinct variations of the 4-wheel flats?

The original Mk.1's had a steel floor and oil axleboxes (some refitted with roller bearing in the 1980's) but (or so it was by the 1980's) rode too high for containers, as they had springs and spring links under the solebar but could be used for kegs and such. The same chassis was used as the basis for hoppers, tanks, barytes, pallet cement, and some acquired a couple of Bulleid opens and became the double-decker beet wagons.

The Mk.11 flats had springs and spring links beside the solebar and were used for containers as they rode lower. I think these had roller bearing axleboxes from the start, but no steel floor, and they seem to have come in 12' and 14' wheelbase versions.

All the 4-wheel flats were vacuum braked.

Edited by BSGSV