Ballybeg

Rate this topic

I had a great time checking out Ballybeg at the Wexford show in Easter. Now that I know that the 121's were hand painted to that level Gerry and his amazing work have reached an even higher level of skill in my estimation. There a some great examples of work produced here by all our members that contribute examples of their work in their workbench topics. Eamonn has displayed a lovely hand painted example of one of his 121 models also and it shows that if the work is done carefully and attentively it can produce marvelous models. I wish I could create a hand painted finish like those models, we are very lucky to have all these workbench topics to wow and inspire us. Well done to all.

Rich,

Great photos as always Eamonn :tumbsup:

Thanks lads all for the positive comments. I started on some Ballybeg rolling stock back in 2002 and the layout has had eight public outings winning Best Scenic and Best in Show awards along the way. Each time I show it I use liveries of a different Irish era: everything from 1940s/50s steam to early 2000s IE. I have all other locos and goods/passenger rolling stock for each era. Finally, I change the lineside models to match including coals stocks/oil depot and cattle loads/goods loads etc. Ballybeg pioneered Irish sound and lights in DCC for both diesel and steam locos. The scenery uses perspective modelling to give the impression of depth. All components on the layout were commercially available as kits or RTR (although extensively worked on).

I must hand it to Eamonn who is a whiz photographer and really captures that "is it real?" feeling. Some of my locos are a bit too pristine and I might have Anthony do some suitable weathering for me... Ballybeg is awaiting MM 071s to replace the MIR models currently in use.

I have just retired and will continue working on Ballybeg as well as a new project in N Gauge finescale "Llangollen" a BR/GWR preserved station in North Wales. Look me up at the next exhibition.

Gerry

It was a joy to photograph your layout and locos Gerry,and

It only inspires me to get a proper layout going for myself.

As has been said the layouts shown by the guys here are

Stunning and even people who are new to site are showing

some great skill.

I am greatful to Gerry and Anthony for all the help and advice

that they give.Gerrys help in DCC is very much needed in my

world as I don't really have a clue,while Anthonys help in paint

and in general modeling is superb-my adventure into mk3 EGV

Building was helped by Anthony big time.

Thanks lads all for the positive comments. I started on some Ballybeg rolling stock back in 2002 and the layout has had eight public outings winning Best Scenic and Best in Show awards along the way. Each time I show it I use liveries of a different Irish era: everything from 1940s/50s steam to early 2000s IE. I have all other locos and goods/passenger rolling stock for each era. Finally, I change the lineside models to match including coals stocks/oil depot and cattle loads/goods loads etc. Ballybeg pioneered Irish sound and lights in DCC for both diesel and steam locos. The scenery uses perspective modelling to give the impression of depth. All components on the layout were commercially available as kits or RTR (although extensively worked on).

I must hand it to Eamonn who is a whiz photographer and really captures that "is it real?" feeling. Some of my locos are a bit too pristine and I might have Anthony do some suitable weathering for me... Ballybeg is awaiting MM 071s to replace the MIR models currently in use.

I have just retired and will continue working on Ballybeg as well as a new project in N Gauge finescale "Llangollen" a BR/GWR preserved station in North Wales. Look me up at the next exhibition.

Gerry

Good luck with retirement Gerry.

Rich,

It was a joy to photograph your layout and locos Gerry,and

It only inspires me to get a proper layout going for myself.

As has been said the layouts shown by the guys here are

Stunning and even people who are new to site are showing

some great skill.

I am greatful to Gerry and Anthony for all the help and advice

that they give.Gerrys help in DCC is very much needed in my

world as I don't really have a clue,while Anthonys help in paint

and in general modeling is superb-my adventure into mk3 EGV

Building was helped by Anthony big time.

Eamonn we all benefit from the encouragement and good will given to us by fellow modellers. At the end of it all it inspired you to pick up the tools and the brass to have a pop at something yourself. You have carried on by giving advice and helpful tips while encouraging others so things evolve and keep the hobby moving.

Rich,

Gerry

No problem with the weathering Gerry. Eamonn will give you my contact details. Look forward to hearing from you. :tumbsup:

I have just retired and will continue working on Ballybeg as well as a new project in N Gauge finescale "Llangollen" a BR/GWR preserved station in North Wales.

Llangollen by road is fourteen miles from me. A friend of mine was the first CME of the Llangollen Railway, (ie the railway in preservation) whilst another was the former Operations Manager. Gerry, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to forward them to either or both of those two guys.

-Rob

• 2 months later...
All this will be on show at the Wexford Model railway clubs

Easter show.The class 24 sound chip is even better than what

you can hear in the video.

Looking and sounding great Gerry and Eamonn,

Look forward to seeing the layout at the Wexford exhibition.

spill the beans des, or i'll send up the mother-in-law!!:rolleyes:

T'will take more than the threat of a MIL to make me talk!

I have to complement the Ballybeg layout as well, that corner section with the cutting is very classy, it really looks the part.

Oh SSM has some very interesting buns in the oven Shem....more anon.

Where do you find the time Des. The Bandon tank that George is building really looks classy. There seems to be a very healthy interest in Steam modelling judging by other forum members plans to produce different classes. I'm about to start reading a book on the Waterford Tramore railway soon, judging from pictures in the book there are some nice prototypes.

Rich,

And indeed A class with sound will be on show.

I'll have to pop over and have a listen Eamonn. Always something of interest happening on the layout. My youngest lad loved it last year. Wanderer got a lovely photo of him in raptures enjoying the turntable.

Rich,

Where do you find the time Des. The Bandon tank that George is building really looks classy. There seems to be a very healthy interest in Steam modelling judging by other forum members plans to produce different classes. I'm about to start reading a book on the Waterford Tramore railway soon, judging from pictures in the book there are some nice prototypes.

Rich,

Thanks Richie, the B4 holds a very special place in my heart. One of the most elegant of the tank locos, and George has done a great build with it.

• 11 months later...