MRSI Dublin Show - October 29-31st 2022

Rate this topic

Blaine

2 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I wonder could Fingal Co. Co. be persuaded to provide such a space in Malahide Castle, given their connection with the model railway museum.

That was actually the first thing that occurred to me, but there isn't the space. The area that used to be occupied by the old "O" Gauge castle layout is now an upmarket souvenir shop and cafe, and the Model Railway Museum would struggle to provide the space for one retail stand, let alone any layouts.

In addition, the whole lot are run by a company called Aramark, who even if space was available, would want dollars and dollars and dollars.............

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

My tuppence worth it I may, I was their on Sunday and  yes it was a bit cramped, some stalls and layouts were hard to look at, it did look smaller than previous years (not the crowd )  But it was my first show in 4 years, did I enjoy it !  Most certainly, from having a good chat with Fran then talking to Paddy Murphy both taking a good bit of time to explain things, some other tall lad joined the conversation with Paddy explaining the new 141 in supertrain livery with ir logos was one of the first cut up, to me living in Kerry so far away you cannot buy that interaction with people. Finished off with a lovely cup of coffee and slice of brack, well done to everyone involved and thank you

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

That was actually the first thing that occurred to me, but there isn't the space. The area that used to be occupied by the old "O" Gauge castle layout is now an upmarket souvenir shop and cafe, and the Model Railway Museum would struggle to provide the space for one retail stand, let alone any layouts.

In addition, the whole lot are run by a company called Aramark, who even if space was available, would want dollars and dollars and dollars.............

I wonder is there any other space in Malahide that could work. I even wonder would a hotel in the area (or anywhere suitable) offer a large function room for free as long as they get to do all the catering....I worked in a "function room" hotel as a teenager. October/November was dead because most such hotels make their money from weddings and the summer months are much more popular. Or would Fingal Co. Co. have another large "hall" somewhere in the county that could be used, again using the Malahide museum angle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, murphaph said:

I wonder is there any other space in Malahide that could work. I even wonder would a hotel in the area (or anywhere suitable) offer a large function room for free as long as they get to do all the catering....I worked in a "function room" hotel as a teenager. October/November was dead because most such hotels make their money from weddings and the summer months are much more popular. Or would Fingal Co. Co. have another large "hall" somewhere in the county that could be used, again using the Malahide museum angle.

That I don't know - I'll see a few of the people at a private function tonight so I'll make enquiries and if anything comes of it I will tip off MRSI and others. To be honest I doubt it, but no harm in asking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

I wonder could Fingal Co. Co. be persuaded to provide such a space in Malahide Castle, given their connection with the model railway museum.

The Model Railway Museum they were very much keen to wash their hands of you mean.

Anything 750 sq metres or more preferably in one room will be considered

• Like 2

Like Fran, our thanks to the guys (and gals?) of the MRSI for arranging last weekend’s exhibition.

A lot of hard work by a faithful few before, during and after. We exhibitors were very well looked after and a further thanks to the ladies who provided lunch and kept us all fed and watered.

Talking of being fed and watered, the Exhibition dinner was in another League to any I’ve attended before – great food, friendly service and good craic.

From The Few, to The Many.

It was wonderful to be back among Irish modellers who not only bought loads of my kits (I actually nearly sold out!), said nice things about them and encouraged me (at 76) to “keep it up”.

Well, if I’m spared and encouraged by this great exhibition, I intend to do just that.  New kits are in the pipeline.

An additional pleasure was to find that I had become (in)famous, thanks to the “ZOOMed” IRRS talks which I have given!

Early on Tuesday morning, The Ulysses cast Richard and I up on a Welsh  coast being lashed by torrential rain. After a tiring overnight journey, we were home by 7am and crashed gratefully into our beds - and stayed there! Still wrecked from what for us is a week-long Odyssey.

Thanks again, Dave, Tony, Ed and all at MRSI for having us and for a very successful exhibition. Thank you to all of you who visited us, even if only to say “Hi”.

Looking at the number of beet kits I sold, this year's season should be well looked after!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2022 at 5:24 PM, Blaine said:
On behalf of the organising committee for the Model Railway Society of Ireland Model Railway Exhibition we would like to thank everyone for attending our 2022 exhibition which exceeded all expectations and ensured that the annual Model Railway Exhibition in Dublin is back

Attendance figures were approximately 2000 in total over the 3 days with Saturday and Sunday having similar attendance figures with slightly lower on Monday.

The few issues we experienced over the weekend were part of our learning curve and we will endeavour to make things better and smoother in 2024

We were down 25% floor space in 2022 compared to 2018 and negotiations for space elsewhere on the premises ultimately let to nothing sadly

Even the largest of exhibitions (e.g. Warley on a Saturday) get overcrowded

This was also possibly the last show to be held in St Pauls College, Raheny as we feel the event has now outgrown the venue - any changes to the venue for the future will be communicated well in advance

Does this mean no Raheny this year?

I also now realise that I've been incorrectly writing "Raheney' for several decades.

Jaysus.

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

No hard border down the middle of the Liffey.

When's Kerry getting a turn to put on a show. We've a hard enough border with Cork, right I've started something here, I'm in over my head, jhb171achill please help.

• Funny 3

13 hours ago, John-r said:

When's Kerry getting a turn to put on a show. We've a hard enough border with Cork, right I've started something here, I'm in over my head, jhb171achill please help.

That’s why there are mountains between Macroom and Glenflesk….. to keep themm’uns out!

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

That’s why there are mountains between Macroom and Glenflesk….. to keep themm’uns out!

Sorted, I new you would give me a dig out jhb171achill , before someone gave me an actual dig.

Edited by John-r
Missing word
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

The macroom bypass is going to make that border a bit softer If your going to cork model shows….however I suspect when Kerry play in pairc ui chaoimh….that’s when Cork Coco will do roadworks on it  😃

Have you any IDEA how many Kingdom men you’ll end up letting in? Did yiz even THINK about that? 🤣

• Funny 1