00 Works Irish J24 class no 275

Rate this topic

Noel

00 Works have done it again. Beyer, Peacock & Co J24 class 475 arrived today from 00 Works. 00 Works seem to have more scale features in terms of detail on these gorgeous Irish steam locos. Delighted to have one as I was with their J15's, but this little 0-6-0 is so cute.

275 ready to run light engine to Athenry. No turn table at Gort so steaming in reverse. Some poetic license with time travel.

IMG_6699%202.JPG

275 arrived from Tuam with a single cattle wagon, no brake van was required.

IMG_6697.JPG

J24 class 

IMG_6698.JPG

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

00 Works have done it again. Beyer, Peacock & Co J24 class 475 arrived today from 00 Works. 00 Works seem to have more scale features in terms of detail on these gorgeous Irish steam locos. Delighted to have one as I was with their J15's, but this little 0-6-0 is so cute.

275 ready to run light engine to Athenry. No turn table at Gort so steaming in reverse. Some poetic license with time travel.

IMG_6699%202.JPG

275 arrived from Tuam with a single cattle wagon, no brake van was required.

IMG_6697.JPG

J24 class 

IMG_6698.JPG

Mine is still in the post, it seem the second I announced I would be interested in one, the all sold out! what you have there is one of the last 1st hand J24 models ever sold 

I reckon it’s not too far out of anyones 2ft rule to say these survived until 1960 with the GSR choosing to stick with them rather then giving up on them imedeatly 

For those who are sorry to miss out on the cute Irish saddle tank, as many are when it comes to these locos (I see many who’d love to have a j-15 or Ug class) I might as well say it here, but the chaps at 00 works have assured me that…..another Irish locomotive is on the way from 00 works!

It hasn’t been announced just yet what they plan to make, Hopefully it isn’t another CB&SCR locomotive otherwise I will literally have too go in debt  

• Like 5
  • WOW! 1

Working their way round the island, having done GSW, GN, and CBSC, an MGW, BCDR or NCC loco would be rather nice, with scope for some rather nice liveries in all cases.

I’m not holding out hope for an SLNC Large Tank….

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Working their way round the island, having done GSW, GN, and CBSC, an MGW, BCDR or NCC loco would be rather nice, with scope for some rather nice liveries in all cases.

Does Lough Erne have a 00 gauge kit available?

i know it’s widely available Already but I’m slightly holding out on a MGWR J26 or an F6 2-4-2

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Does Lough Erne have a 00 gauge kit available?

i know it’s widely available Already but I’m slightly holding out on a MGWR J26 or an F6 2-4-2

The only SLNC engine available in any commercial form is the Small Tank class - from SSM in 7mm. Really should build mine….

Large Tank and Lough Tank are down to the individual and a sheet of brass! 

09FAFE05-CC53-400D-8FC7-1C35E48189B8.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4
  • WOW! 1

57 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

What about a nice DSER Loco?  That's around the island too!!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The only SLNC engine available in any commercial form is the Small Tank class - from SSM in 7mm. Really should build mine….

Love it, named mine Hazlewood after my Dads place of birth
On the subject of OO Works its a shame that in this day and age they are not DCC ready, especially what he charges for them

2033192686_Hazelwoodloco.thumb.JPG.406c37dcacfc574f4a5271ce056b025c.JPG

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Perhaps the lough class are a very pheasable locomotive with UTA and a small bit of RPSI service to help boost sales of an SLNC locomotive 

the only reason the low demand   CBSC loco was produced was that certain peices were identical to certain pieces of an LSWR saddle tank.

Perhaps 461 could fill out DSER

NCC U2? 

BCDR Baltic or Atlantic tanks?

• Like 2

JB, Glad that you like your little grey J24 - she looks even nicer in green!

Roderick seems to like doing 4-4-0s, or 0-6-0s: like Victor, I think that a Midland L Class would be nice (more GAA specials via Inny Jct to Portadown!). Even more a "Cattle Engine"? 

Mind you, for utility on my layout, the Great Northern's SG3 "Big D" would be much more use - except that none of us has a layout to take 40 - 60 wagons goods trains!

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

JB, Glad that you like your little grey J24 - 

In my world, the last of them, 472, was transferred from Wisht Caaark, boy, to Dugort Harbour as branch engine in the early 1940s, instead of being scrapped. The GSR & CIE let it be until the “C” classes appeared there in 1958…. 

It eked out its days there as spare loco for the branch when the normal J15 was having its boiler washout….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

JB, Glad that you like your little grey J24 - she looks even nicer in green!

Roderick seems to like doing 4-4-0s, or 0-6-0s: like Victor, I think that a Midland L Class would be nice (more GAA specials via Inny Jct to Portadown!). Even more a "Cattle Engine"? 

Mind you, for utility on my layout, the Great Northern's SG3 "Big D" would be much more use - except that none of us has a layout to take 40 - 60 wagons goods trains!

Some years ago OO Works were looking at the feasibility of a Y Boiler 650 Class and a set of drawings changed hands.

The big problem in selecting a suitable "Southern" steam loco for a rtr model is the large number of classes and extent of re-building by the GSR dilutes an already very low level of demand, a GNR loco would be a far more logical choice, single tooling GNR, UTA and CIE liveries.

I ended up producing three different versions of the MGWR Ks 650/G2 2-4-0 kit each with different tooling to cover the era from the end of WW1 to the end of steam. No one put their hand up for the original Flyaway Cab version which would have required another tooling.

Interestingly 2 of the 3 varieties of the Ks/650 outsold the entire GSWR 52/D17 Class Kit production run.

Likewise a rtr model of a MGWR L would require three completely different body toolings to cover the Original, Post 1900 and GSR versions of the same locomotive.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

16 hours ago, WRENNEIRE said:

Love it, named mine Hazlewood after my Dads place of birth

SLNCR 0-6-4t's

Still miss my 2 which were from the original North Star? batch but at least they are now in Ireland. Dave I think yours is probably the right hand one as I only had the Lurganboy plates.

I reckon that the 'Lough' would be more likely as one is still in existence and they led a more 'adventurous ' life.

• Like 2

I always liked the early preservation black she had, with red rods and shiny brass door handle, as here on the N Kerry tour. This must have looked wonderfully smart as she mingled with the half-derelict WTs around York Road in 1968. The green, I think, was a legacy of her cameo in the FGT movie in 78, although hugely overshadowed by 184’s scenes, 186 featured in the Cobh scenes. Both engines seen together in green in this 1979 pic. Images courtesy RPSI website. 

F1071740-C246-4628-922E-DF8AA7EF4AAD.jpeg

CE6185A3-D6DC-488E-B784-6C7E19871105.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 4

In traffic, in that condition, they were never anything other than plain grey, though a small few were plain black in the late 50s. No coloured anything.

The RPSI used two liveries of their own; neither authentic. First their “own” livery of black with UTA-esque red rods and NCC-like red-backed numberplate, then the fictitious “South Eastern Railway” (of England) lined green for the 1978 film contract.

Finally, following a poll of members, it ended up as it is now in its correct GSWR / GSR / CIE grey.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Noel said:

Would be amazing to have it in lines green RPSI state.

Sorry, Noel, NOT that please. As Gmore says, it was a fake livery - intended to be the South Eastern of England livery at the time of the Crimean War.

Of course, the black livery was just as fake.

Cobh? I thought the "Folkestone" scenes were at Cork? Must watch the film again! No great hardship - should be in everyone's DVD library!

Back to the topic - if the orginal 4'4" boiler J15 had sold well enough, Roderick had thoughts on the Z Boiler version (as 186 is) and even the double-doored smokebox version.

If steam RTR sold as well as the A Class, then Noel could certainly have his green!

• Like 5

I think anyone modelling that period can justify a belfaire J15

i wonder what the story with the tender is going to be. Surely they won’t use 186 current tender as I don’t think that’s an authentic J15 tender but rather a 400 or 500 class tender or something like that

hence making 186 impossible unless a completely new tooling for a different tender was made?

I could be wrong and that could be a j15 tender

• Like 1

Like so many preservation movements which ran steam whilst main line steam was still extant (Bluebell, KWVR etc) the RPSI felt no need to replicate the grey dullness that could be seen in all its authenticity around them! I also suspect that the shed staff at York Road were rather keen on sprucing her up.

322C0A9A-5098-4162-9ED9-A800089ECC66.jpeg

21F971C4-799C-42B2-815E-784B7BA2FE07.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Like so many preservation movements which ran steam whilst main line steam was still extant (Bluebell, KWVR etc) the RPSI felt no need to replicate the grey dullness that could be seen in all its authenticity around them! I also suspect that the shed staff at York Road were rather keen on sprucing her up.

Quite possibly; at least they insisted (and still do) on strictly correct liveries on GNR locos and No. 4!

6 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I think anyone modelling that period can justify a belfaire J15

i wonder what the story with the tender is going to be. Surely they won’t use 186 current tender as I don’t think that’s an authentic J15 tender but rather a 400 or 500 class tender or something like that

hence making 186 impossible unless a completely new tooling for a different tender was made?

I could be wrong and that could be a j15 tender

The idea that 186 had a 400 or 500 class tender is an ancient Whitehead myth, not true. The type it actually has was used across a number of classes and was very common among J15s for several decades.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 3

Didn't 184 operate in a Pseudo GSWR(?) lined green in the 1950s, I think to do with some event in Inchicore but someone will know for sure. (Kinda like how 071 is in 'retro' CIE orange at the moment).

Edited by Niles

58 minutes ago, Niles said:

Didn't 184 operate in a Pseudo GSWR(?) lined green in the 1950s, I think to do with some event in Inchicore but someone will know for sure. (Kinda like how 071 is in 'retro' CIE orange at the moment).

She had a few episodes like this . The early 60s green was ok - the late 60s ‘Darling Lili’ was not! 

1376DB42-3207-4FB1-BA97-2C09AC83AFE4.jpeg

EAF09A5F-E925-4E62-8ADD-CA4D74E8CE8A.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Sorry, Noel, NOT that please. As Gmore says, it was a fake livery - intended to be the South Eastern of England livery at the time of the Crimean War.

Of course, the black livery was just as fake.

Cobh? I thought the "Folkestone" scenes were at Cork? Must watch the film again! No great hardship - should be in everyone's DVD library!

Back to the topic - if the orginal 4'4" boiler J15 had sold well enough, Roderick had thoughts on the Z Boiler version (as 186 is) and even the double-doored smokebox version.

If steam RTR sold as well as the A Class, then Noel could certainly have his green!

I stand corrected Leslie - it was indeed Cork! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

162BF21F-BEDB-4B0C-B6FC-63B3B4E6CC33.thumb.jpeg.92c934c535481f46ecb22a511e513ce2.jpeg

getting this topic back on track, I have just received no.475. It was the one of if not thee last ones left 

been sitting on this locomotive for a year now and considering there won’t be any F6, Bandon’s, J26, st.molaga, argadeen or Baldwin tank engines being made anytime soon in RTR, might as well get it. 

I remember first learning of this locos existence and being confused. I think it’s only duties was branchline work and maybe it worked cork-clonakikty a few times 

Despite the GSR grey being plain as per prototype. The brass peices are beautifully done. The loco weighs a lot more then the A class. The locomotive Dosnt re-invent the wheel with its performance 

the loco also dosnt like going round corners with some screw in the connecting rods being to tight or something. I might try and look at this later 

• Like 3