BCDR Diesel D1 (No. 2)

Rate this topic

Tullygrainey

Time to say goodbye to all that nice shiny brass. Halfords Etch Primer.

The chimney is a brass casting from Alan Gibson (4M711, 'County' double chimney, early type), gently chastised with needle files.

IMG_6347.thumb.jpg.9e448c0292af2818b77f0df392fb916a.jpg

IMG_6366.thumb.jpg.26251bdceb3204f9fca85343b3b3e23e.jpg

IMG_6365.thumb.jpg.f48e8b134f05f90a42998189bdef89e3.jpg

I'm experimenting with these Archer 3D transfers. We'll see how this goes 😬 🤞

Onwards with trepidation

Alan

IMG_6369.thumb.jpg.288fe170e0de962df3c05453008208c7.jpg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 6

Well, we have some louvres at last. The Archer 3D resin transfers were tricky little brutes, very delicate and easy to break. One of the larger ones rolled up on me and had to be refloated to unroll it again. Then, eyesight being what it is,  I couldn't quite make out which way up and which way round it was meant to go🙄 The narrow strips on the engine casing are actually 2mm scale and had to be doubled up to get near the correct width - a total of 40 separate transfers in the end. Not ideal, but passable under the two foot rule.

All in all, it was a bit of an ordeal, given that I barely had enough of some of the sizes and little chance of getting more. Archer is closing down at the end of this month, the owner is retiring and attempts to order direct from the US via PayPal fell over at the last hurdle, every time I tried.

I'm reasonably happy with the results but anyway, I think it's beyond me to improve on this, whatever the method.

So, onwards with a gently muttered "Phew"

Alan

IMG_6416.thumb.jpg.73f707328d78b3f2483efb5930476078.jpg

IMG_6428.thumb.jpg.0c891611d3d79f56a207c0dc1628f4db.jpg

IMG_6427.thumb.jpg.607c6efa4f21abbad06a39a10cb53e86.jpg

• Like 13
  • WOW! 2

Some detail added to the frames. These bits are probably perfect candidates for CAD and 3D printing but since I haven’t plotted even the first point on that particular learning curve, it’s had to be old tech for this one.

A rummage in my garage turned up some brass tacks (no, really 😄) with domed heads which, filed down a bit, could be soldered inside some short lengths of brass tubing to make the basis of the axleboxes. Plastic card and slices of plastic tubing did the rest.

The springs were made using cut down MJT white metal castings (MJT 2258, GWR Spring Axlebox), 0.45mm brass rod and slivers of fine wire insulation.

None of this is precisely accurate but close enough to convey a sense of the thing, I think.

Onwards with superglued fingers, Alan

IMG_6419.thumb.jpg.18c74b91f40ae5b8b28e55dcc67a8335.jpg

IMG_6529.thumb.jpg.e40f4ac6101a3979eeafb98d9c6b7244.jpg

IMG_6532.thumb.jpg.cd37b0a8352f3e18b058091593d272c3.jpg

• Like 12

Likewise! These days, when I go into Currys, I find that that not only do I not understand what I'm looking at, I actually don't care much either.

Equally, I certainly applaud the 3D printers, because am always impressed with anything I cannot currently do. However, this bit of old school modelling shows what can be done and is all about breaking a component down into basic shapes and going from there. Love it!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, David Holman said:

Likewise! These days, when I go into Currys, 

14 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Thanks David. I have equally baffling experiences in Currys

I was once hugely mystified by Currys* - I used to run a few rented houses for people and one day I got a text out of the blue.

"This is Knowhow** - we're delivering your fridge at 1:30pm, please ensure somebody will be there"

I had no idea who 'Knowhow' might be and had not ordered a fridge from anybody.

Eventually, the internet revealed that it was Currys and I assumed that one of the owners had ordered a fridge and given them my mobile number.

Simple.

No! I still didn't know who had ordered this fridge and, thus, which house 'somebody' was supposed to be at - and Knowhow weren't inclined to answer me, either.

Eventually, it turned up at one of the houses and the tenant happened to be in at the time, so they rang and asked me if it was meant to be there - I took a wild guess and said "Yes".

* "Currys" really annoys me - it should either be Curry's or Curries, surely?

** In my days of dealing with Currys, they had an offshoot called Mastercare, that dealt with their aftersales 'service' They had a slogan "We make it work". I bought a CD player in the mid 80s, but it developed a difficult fault, only after being on for a few hours. They insisted they could fix it, rather than replacing it, but they only got one go at it every working day and it dragged on for weeks, into months. They stopped even answering the phone to me and our communications ended up as weekly letters - I got so fed up that I started using a modified copy of their notepaper for my letters

Bastardcare - we make it worse.

I eventually got it back from them and fixed it myself.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, Broithe said:

* "Currys" really annoys me - it should either be Curry's or Curries, surely?

Yes! 😄

Mind you, the "if in doubt, whack one in" overuse of the apostrophe is possibly even worse. On a recent holiday in Cumbria, I came across this sign in a shop window. I assume that if you go in, the staff will lick your face. Or maybe bite your ankle?

Alan

IMG_5997.thumb.jpg.0238d025a2f0b4e10ff93e98b103cd5f.jpg

• Funny 7

3 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Yes! 😄

Mind you, the "if in doubt, whack one in" overuse of the apostrophe is possibly even worse. On a recent holiday in Cumbria, I came across this sign in a shop window. I assume that if you go in, the staff will lick your face. Or maybe bite your ankle?

Alan

IMG_5997.thumb.jpg.0238d025a2f0b4e10ff93e98b103cd5f.jpg

I’m n’ot su’re t’hat, I’d want’ t,o, g’o in’to That’ sh’op%

• Funny 1

A seasonal favourite round here is a store that do Christmas Reefs - this is the land of Estuary English, after all! Technically speaking, I fink reefs ought to have multiple 'f's [you hear of lot of those too], while on Sheppey, where they speak a sub-dialect, known as Swampy, there are many more, richer varieties...

🤑

• Funny 4

12 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Ssssssseriously impressive!!!!!!

I know of a certain layout in Downpatrick where this model would fit in rather nicely......

😀Thank you Patrick. That's a nice idea. Maybe with a couple of Hattons Genesis coaches, suitably tweaked? I ordered a set 18 months ago and Hattons were finally able to despatch them last week. According to Royal Mail tracking, they've been at Warrington Sorting Centre since then, no doubt at the bottom of a very large pile of parcels. I suppose a few more weeks is neither here or there 🙄

11 hours ago, Mayner said:

To quote Patrick sssssseriously impressive!!!!!!

and an excellent of what can be achieved using traditional scratchbuilding techniques.

Very tempted to build a 'steam outline" H&W diesel

Thanks John, and I hope you do. H&W diesels are a neglected species.

• Like 2