Irish Railway News ‘Enterprise Watch’

Rate this topic

IrishTrainScenes

14 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Just a though, but if DDs can't go to GC yet, could NIR and IR enter into some arrangement whereby the Enterprise is temporarily operated entirely by ICR sets with the DDs working to Galway or Sligo.  If it's possible that would avoid the Enterprise returning to Lanyon Place and would enable GC rail operations to get started until the problem is sorted.

I suspect by the time the sets were cleared for other lines and staff trained, GC would be passed for 201s...

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Just a though, but if DDs can't go to GC yet, could NIR and IR enter into some arrangement whereby the Enterprise is temporarily operated entirely by ICR sets with the DDs working to Galway or Sligo.  If it's possible that would avoid the Enterprise returning to Lanyon Place and would enable GC rail operations to get started until the problem is sorted

In a flight of whimsy I did wonder if the services could be alternated between DDs from Lanyon and ICRs from GC, one from each for each hour if it's an hourly timetable... But then again perhaps likely to create confusion but at least then Translink could say that Enterprise trains are running from GC, to save embarrassment...?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tractionman said:

In a flight of whimsy I did wonder if the services could be alternated between DDs from Lanyon and ICRs from GC, one from each for each hour if it's an hourly timetable... But then again perhaps likely to create confusion but at least then Translink could say that Enterprise trains are running from GC, to save embarrassment...?

I’d rather it be consistent! 

• Agree 1

Facts

1. The DD’s will be with us to 2030 
  2. They will only ever run on the Belfast to Dublin route
  3. The vast majority of service issues since early July have been delayed buses caught up in congestion on the M1 A1 corridor 
  4. The number two issue for service delays has been congestion and lost paths on the approach to Connolly

I can never understand the constant negativity towards the DD’s as they are not the biggest issue this route currently faces at the moment. Read points 3&4. 

Facts. I can go on. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Facts

3. The vast majority of service issues since early July have been delayed buses caught up in congestion on the M1 A1 corridor 
  4. The number two issue for service delays has been congestion and lost paths on the approach to Connolly

I can never understand the constant negativity towards the DD’s as they are not the biggest issue this route currently faces at the moment. Read points 3&4. 

Facts. I can go on. 

100% correct Gareth👍👍👍👍👍

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Facts

Facts. I can go on. 

The DDs have a bad rep from their unreliability a year or two back, alongside the preference toward using ICRs for late autumn/early winter. Part of it is just the fact of life of loco hauled v railcars. A railcar with an engine (or two) down can limp home, a loco down and the train needs to be rescued and a loco found at short notice to do so. This was less of an issue when there was locos all around the system, that is not true today. Many a time a 29 is used to haul a Dart up to Fairview!

In terms of comfort, DDs are miles ahead. If the ICRs had seating as comfortable it'd be the cherry on top of what is otherwise IMO an excellent, reliable class. It's agony trying to get comfortable in them! 😄

21 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Facts

Facts. I can go on. 

With respect to Point 4, the issue is indeed too many trains and not enough track capacity. With hourly Enterprise services this problem will get worse. DART+ Coastal North will create chaos unless significant upgrades are carried out. Many of you will be aware that the Railway Order consultation phase is currently under way for DART+ and has been extended until 23 October. It is well worth making a submission.  Just in case you haven't the detail these are attached below:

DART+ Coastal North – Railway Order Update.

Given your previous correspondence in respect of the DART+ Coastal North project, I wish to inform you of an important update regarding the Railway Order application for this project, which was submitted to An Bord Pleanála on 12th July last, reference number ABP-320164-24.

An error was identified in the pre-application consultation file submitted with the Railway Order application. In compliance with a request from An Bord Pleanála, Córas Iompair Éireann (CIÉ) has now submitted a full and complete version of the pre-application consultation file.

As you had previously expressed interest in, and submitted correspondence in respect of, the project, we are notifying you of the update to the documentation.

The updated file, along with the draft Railway Order and accompanying documentation, will be available for inspection from September 9th, 2024 to October 23rd, 2024 on our dedicated project website www.dartcoastalnorthrailwayorder.ie.

Additionally, these documents can be inspected free of charge during normal office or opening hours at the following locations:

An Bord Pleanála, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, D01 V902

Planning Department, Dublin City Council, Civic Office, Wood Quay, Dublin 8, D08 RF3F

Planning Department, Fingal County Council, County Hall, Main Street, Swords, County Dublin, K67 X8Y2

Fingal County Council, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15, D15 W638

Planning Department, Meath County Council, Buvinda House, Dublin Road, Navan, County Meath, C15 Y291

Planning Department, Louth County Council, County Hall, Millennium Centre, Dundalk, County Louth, A91 KFW6

Donaghmede Library, Donaghmede Shopping Centre, Grange Road, Dublin 13, D13 XW28

Rush Library, Chapel Green, Rush, County Dublin, K56 ED95

Balbriggan Library, Saint George’s Square, Balbriggan, County Dublin, K32 TW27

Drogheda Library, Stockwell Lane, Drogheda, County Louth, A92 PY20

Iarnród Eireann, Connolly Station, Amiens Street, Dublin 1, D01 V6V6; and

DART+ Coastal North Project Office, CIÉ Inchicore Works, Inchicore Parade, Dublin 8, D08 K6Y3.

In light of this update, the period for public submissions has been extended. Submissions can now be made until October 23rd, 2024. We encourage you to review the updated documentation and provide any comments or questions within this extended period.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact the DART+ Coastal North project team at Tel: (01) 233 4515, or through our email address DARTCoastalNorth@irishrail.ie.