Riversuirs Workbench

Rate this topic

Riversuir226

• 1 month later...

To removelima mk3 roof

get two of the plastic screwdrivers that came with themurphy 201's . Lever off the gangways from beneath. Use the plastic screwdriver to lever up the roof from the main body using the top corners as leverages; repeat this at both ends at this stage a gap between the roof unit and body will appear . Gently place plasticard off cuts between the assemblies working your way round till both sides are done. Going back to the ends lever the roof gently up from both ends and itll come free.

• 2 months later...

Silverfox GSV mk1

2014-08-10 22.22.37.jpg

Nice little kit, bought second hand last year of one of the members on here. Detailed one end with a dummy coupling, used a spare cravens gangway cover, put a few brake pipes on there too. Unfortunately the decals included in the deal were past it, so i ll have to wait for Ssm to reopen after their hols.

Found a few old hornby freightliner wagon chassis which i had shortened to use for timber wagons a few years back. Un fortunately i messed up the scale so i ended up with a few disasters. The bodies are now consigned to the scrap box but i thought it d be an ideal opportunity to experiment with the chassis, honestlt my first thoughts were use them for a weedspray rake but with the new ssm kits due out soon , i thought it d make more sense to see if i could build some 47fts instead. Luckily i still have some mir spare bogies lying around so hey its worth a shot!!.

Luckily when shortening the chassis i kept the cut out bit so i used bits of this to add length to the chassis, i used an mir 47ft to make sure the bogies spacing was right. After a few hours work this is what emerged :)

2014-08-16 00.34.07.jpg

Bogie centre point to the inside of the bufferbeam is 36mm. Used an mir 47ft as the basis for my drawing/model .

I wonder if this is a fault with the MIR kit? Have a look at Post #1 on Enniscorthyman's workbench. He has a photo of a completed MIR bogie container wagon and the box it came in. The illustration on the box shows the bogies close to the bufferbeams, whereas the model has them set well back, as you point out. Photos of bogie wagons seem to indicate that the illustration on the box is correct.

47' 6" wagon is 14455mm in length not including buffers. Distance between centre of bogies is 9449mm according to drawing that I have. That makes it 8' 3" approx from centre of bogies to wagon end, not including buffers. Hope this helps lads.

Edited by iarnrod

• 2 weeks later...

Wow - As a 'newbie' on here, every few days I discover more and more amazing threads on stunning models and layout projects. Hats off sir.

PS: I started school in Waterford about 1964. As a child I was taken by the railway station with the rock faced escarpment and huge signal boxes, and the rumbling GMs heading for Wexford by the river past the former Bell container port.

• 3 weeks later...

It took a while but shes finished :) , started out as a cheap & nasty ebay purchase. But im now quite pleased with her.

A few baths in brake fluid sorted out the various old liveries, followed by a few sanding and filling sessions, i then backdated the body for the early days of the c class. I then added a ssm detail kit and painted her with a few light coats of paint, decals are by ssm and after a final coat of klear she was ready for her pic to be taken.

2014-09-21 00.37.51.jpg

Edited by Riversuir226

Next up on the bench is a renumbering off a murphy models 071, i removed the factory applied number with qtips dipped in white spirits, i gently rubbed each of the sets of numbers and after a few minutes they came off nicely. I then brushed on some klear to help with the decals after i leave it dry over night. The loco is destined to be the resident wedsprayer loco so i ll also be adding glendergs weedspray warning panels and will be numbered 072 using SSM decals2014-09-21 01.29.06.jpg

Thanks for the comments lads, just finished off 072 using pics taken of the big 072 during its visit with the weedsprayer a few weeks back, i added a little extra to the body as well as the decals which are ssm products. I will be adding the orange door in the near futurebut for now shes done :) .

2014-09-22 01.39.58.jpg

Edited by Riversuir226

Thanks Eamonn,

Agree 072 has been a fvourite of mine since the late 80:s when i saw her for the first time. Luckily i see her regularly on the tmber and container runs in waterfordso i just had to model her in her current guise warts & all :) . The door is coming along nicely and i should have pics up later tonight or in the morning.