Irish Rail Train (kids Xmas present)

Rate this topic

Glen

Hi,

Can anyone help me please? My son is a train fanatic, we get the train nearly every weekend into heuston Station. I've bought him lots of train toys over the years but for some reason he really wants a train with the Irish Rail Logo on it. 

I can't seem to find one anywhere, and the one site I found they are on preorder for 2024. (Irishrailwaymodels.ie).

Does anyone know of any other places to buy an Irish Rail train, or I'd be happy to buy a second hand one. 

Thanks,

Glen.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @LNERW1 & @WRENNEIRE, just saw your message now.

When I signed up originally, the site mentioned I needed to wait and become verified. I just assumed I was not verified from the site, as I didn't receive a notification. (well I don't think I did).

Unfortunately, I missed the fair today.  I'll go to MarksModles and see what they can do.

Thanks,

Glen.

• Like 1

One thing to be conscious of, and I haven't seen it mentioned, is age-suitability.

What we talk about here tend to models rather than toys. Very delicate, and I know that one or two of the forum dads don't feel that the likes of IRM or Murphy Models stock is really suitable for their pre-teens.

Drop one of these locos, and boom, you need somebody like @murphaph to fly down to you, collect all of the bits, and get them back together again.

Here's how that goes.

If your son is very young, it might be worth considering something cheaper / more durable, and maybe adding transfers to it.

There's also LEGO.

You can build your own Irish stock from LEGO, and in my opinion, it's frikkin' awesome!

So, consider your son's age, 4, 14, 24 or 44, before opening your wallet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

What we talk about here tend to models rather than toys. Very delicate.

Whilst i would normally mock people who people who post this sort of statement as in denial about their hobby men child, This is good advice to take onboard. it can be very easy to do a lot of damage to these models with even a modest drop and at that point it will be a write off for most people. if your son is already into models this may be a non issue but its worth consideration.

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Wrong sound chip on that loco? better call wheeltappers!

• Funny 1

It can be both.

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secularizing tendency to de-emphasize the religious tradition from Christmas, by "taking the Christ out of Christmas"; nevertheless, the term's usage dates back to the 16th century, and corresponds to Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Church of England, and Episcopalian liturgical use of various forms of chi-rho monogram. In English, "X" was first used as a scribal abbreviation for "Christ" in 1100; "X'temmas" is attested in 1551, and "Xmas" in 1721.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I leave Mr G More to reply to this fully and confirm the Greek origin - it's a bit (like 1900 years?) older and used in the original Greek New Testament.

Our C of E vicar preached a fine sermon yesterday on Xmas versus Christmas. He then won the Prize by having "O Come O Come Emmanuel" as the Introit for last night's carol service .....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minister_for_hardship said:

It can be both.

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secularizing tendency to de-emphasize the religious tradition from Christmas, by "taking the Christ out of Christmas"; nevertheless, the term's usage dates back to the 16th century, and corresponds to Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Church of England, and Episcopalian liturgical use of various forms of chi-rho monogram. In English, "X" was first used as a scribal abbreviation for "Christ" in 1100; "X'temmas" is attested in 1551, and "Xmas" in 1721.

Back in the old days, writing ink was not cheap and abbreviations were common - rather like printer ink is now.

The 'Xmas' form may have evolved from the Greek abbreviation for Christ - Chi Rho - looking rather like X and P combined. The X signifying a hard 'Ch' sound, as in Chiropractor, and the Rho an 'R' sound..

Also, it was often used in carvings.

image.thumb.png.6b15e19122ff9841f7ea092b64ebc051.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Broithe said:

The X signifying a hard 'Ch' sound, as in Chiropractor, and the Rho an 'R' sound..

Funny you should mention it, but "x" here en Canarias is used as an abbreviation for "ch" sounds. Muchacho would be shortened to "Xaxo" etc. Not the same up in Spain, and they vehemently mock how the Canarios speak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Funny you should mention it, but "x" here en Canarias is used as an abbreviation for "ch" sounds. Muchacho would be shortened to "Xaxo" etc. Not the same up in Spain, and they vehemently mock how the Canarios speak.

Don't tell me that, John, your address is hard enough already!

By the way, I've just ordered another van for you!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 17/12/2023 at 9:38 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

One thing to be conscious of, and I haven't seen it mentioned, is age-suitability.

What we talk about here tend to models rather than toys. Very delicate, and I know that one or two of the forum dads don't feel that the likes of IRM or Murphy Models stock is really suitable for their pre-teens.

Drop one of these locos, and boom, you need somebody like @murphaph to fly down to you, collect all of the bits, and get them back together again.

Here's how that goes.

If your son is very young, it might be worth considering something cheaper / more durable, and maybe adding transfers to it.

There's also LEGO.

You can build your own Irish stock from LEGO, and in my opinion, it's frikkin' awesome!

So, consider your son's age, 4, 14, 24 or 44, before opening your wallet.

Yes, breaking locos can be quite expensive. After my long awaited A class arrived, I hurriedly put it on the layout- too hurriedly as it turned out. The wheels were not quite set properly on the track and when it came to the first set of points it leaped over the side of the board and dropped three feet to the hard hard floor below. Made bits of the front end. Cost me two more weeks and 70euro to have it repaired. My next purchase was backing boards . Maybe I should stick to Lego.........🥴

• WOW! 1