A 3d printed 800 class for 00 (and a WLWR goods loco)

Rate this topic

Here is a project Ive been working on with @GSR 800 for some time, its getting to the stage where the work in progress images are starting to be worth showing, an 800 for 00 gauge to fit the hornby Royal Scot chassis, consequent to the use of that chassis, the front has had to be shortened by 2mm between the bufferbeam and the front of the smokebox, other than that its the intention to have it accurate as near as possible rivet-for-rivet

Screenshot2024-04-16000751.thumb.png.5d5796a9ef47fbdebc4202448fbb4eba.pngScreenshot2024-04-16000816.thumb.png.c814265e608d8d9a310db93cd4286489.png

When posed next to a loco 46 years its elder (and much more my usual type of modelling, again a work in progress), you get an appreciation for the immense size of the prototype

Screenshot2024-04-16001853.thumb.png.6ebbd6d86de69fe0fef08fc68fd6e067.png

Edited by Killian Keane
  • Like 13
  • WOW! 6

Excellent work as always Killian.

I am a great believer in the potential for 3d printing, especially for the Irish steam scene. The great challenge for RTR Irish Steam is the sheer variety of classes and variants. This example illustrates the possibilities of bringing these to life and taking full advantage of the ever-widening range of Irish RTR rolling stock coming online. Killian's excellent work shows the level of detail that can be achieved.

Edited by GSR 800
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The loco posed next to the 800 caught my eye, looks suspiciously like an ex-Waterford Limerick and Western 0-6-0.

Nice contrast to the J15 "Standard Goods" a number of these locos survived in service into the late 1940s working goods trains between Limerick-Waterford and Tuam, with another based at Mullingar on the Midland. Presumably intended to fit on an Oxford? Dean Goods chassis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

The loco posed next to the 800 caught my eye, looks suspiciously like an ex-Waterford Limerick and Western 0-6-0.

Nice contrast to the J15 "Standard Goods" a number of these locos survived in service into the late 1940s working goods trains between Limerick-Waterford and Tuam, with another based at Mullingar on the Midland. Presumably intended to fit on an Oxford? Dean Goods chassis.

Precisely correct on both the prototype and the intended chassis, my local line being the former WLW I had to have a loco from that line, very scarce information on them unfortunately so designing has been like pulling teeth, but its coming along

• Like 2

On 16/4/2024 at 12:27 AM, Killian Keane said:

Here is a project Ive been working on with @GSR 800 for some time, its getting to the stage where the work in progress images are starting to be worth showing, an 800 for 00 gauge to fit the hornby Royal Scot chassis, consequent to the use of that chassis, the front has had to be shortened by 2mm between the bufferbeam and the front of the smokebox, other than that its the intention to have it accurate as near as possible rivet-for-rivet

Screenshot2024-04-16000751.thumb.png.5d5796a9ef47fbdebc4202448fbb4eba.pngScreenshot2024-04-16000816.thumb.png.c814265e608d8d9a310db93cd4286489.png

When posed next to a loco 46 years its elder (and much more my usual type of modelling, again a work in progress), you get an appreciation for the immense size of the prototype

Screenshot2024-04-16001853.thumb.png.6ebbd6d86de69fe0fef08fc68fd6e067.png

Most impressive so far. If i might ask what demanded the 2mm compromise?

6 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Most impressive so far. If i might ask what demanded the 2mm compromise?

Thank you, the 2mm is down to the royal scot being shorter than the 800  mainly in the front bogie, if I'd have made it the full length I was concerned about the overhang of the front buffers etc on curves

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, StevieB said:

Thanks for that. Were some of these sold to the MGWR when the GSWR took over the WLWR and decided they didn’t want the engines on order?

Stephen

You can see the MGWR examples got Midland style smokeboxes and chimneys, the GSR apparently called these two class J17

Screenshot2024-04-17220454.thumb.png.b7313799a3e81b3d13288c3b45c3ccb1.png

Edited by Killian Keane
  • Like 3
  • Informative 3

GSR numbered the ex-Midland locos in the same series as the ex-GSWR locos.

One of the ex-Midland locos 141 Limerick withdrawn in 1929 was allocated but did not carry GSR No 233.

The other loco 142 Athenry was re-numbered 234 in 1928 was rebuilt with a 'larger round-topped saturated boiler in 1940 or 41 and was withdrawn in 1950.

The loco appears with round topped boiler with riveted smokebox and 'built up" Inchacore chimney similar to the other ex WLWR O-6-0s in a 1938 W A Camwell photo of at Colloney.

Although grouped in the same GSWR number series as the other ex-WLWR 0-6-0s, 234 was considered to be a different 'Class J17 to the other ex-WLWR 0-6-0s Class J22 and J25 and remained on the Midland a long term resident of Mullingar used o goods trains to Cavan and Longford before being moved to Sligo where it was used for shunting. (GSR Locos Clements and Mc Mahon). The "Midland engines" had 18'X24" cylinders.

The "Southern engines" were classified in two classes J25  222-239 had 17"X24" cylinders and J22 235-236 had 17½x24" cylinders, though all three classes looked visually the same in GSWR/GSR condition with round-topped boiler, riveted smokebox and Inchacore chimney.

Its said that the GSWR/GSR standardised on two types of round topped boiler for its ex WLWR locos, one type to the tender locos (4-4-0, 2-4-0 and 0-6-0) and another type to its tank locos (4-4-2T, 2-4-2T and 0-4-4T)

All the Ex-WLWR 0-6-0 were placed in the same M/L load class regardless of cylinder diameter and were allowed 5-6 wagons less through each section compared with the ex GSWR and Midland "Standard Goods" classes which were rated Load Class J (Decade of Steam IRRS 1972? Donaldson, O'Neill and McDonnell)

In brief the three ex-WLWR 0-6-0s  ended up looking visually the same doing similar work but divided into 3 different GSR classes all gone by 1951.

Nice contrast to a J15 on a layout

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

Andy , for shunting engines I'd agree, WR Panniers etc; but look at the position of the reach rod from the cab to the motion behind the splasher. At that angle I think screw reverse is very probable because the pin joints to make the mechanism work would mean a reversing lever handle and catch taller than a man. I think something like a spoked wheel as on an L&Y A class 0-6-0. Mike

• Like 1

Locos of the GS&WR mentions that they were used on the fast fish specials from Fenit for which screw reverse would be more useful.

The resources  section has a copy of the "Engineer" drawing of Robinson's 240 which shows the Screw Reverse nicely.

Rob

Cannot check for cab photo as IRRS Flickr site is closed for editing at the moment.

Richards Chown's model on WLWR No 2 (later 222) in its original conditions is fitted with a screw reverser.

There is a photo of the cab interior on 5 Nov 2020 posting on David's thread. Its likely that Richard's model is based on a Kitson builders drawing obtained from Leeds or NRM York

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1