The Arrow is back….

Rate this topic

ttc0169

It's back to the 1990's for Iarnrod Eireann as they have repainted 2600 Class, No. 2601+2602 back into a modified version of the ARROW livery they originally carried from 1994 to the early 2000's to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the class. The work was completed to an outstanding quality in house at the paint spray facility in Inchicore Works and the team poses in front of the completed set on Wednesday 25th April for official photos to be taken before the set returns to service in Cork working the commuter services to Cobh, Midleton and Mallow. 

An IR£19.5 million order was placed in 1992 with Mitsui, who subcontracted the order to Tokyu Car Corporation of Yokohama, Japan. This was quite groundbreaking on a number of fronts; not only was it the first Irish order placed with an Asian firm, but they were also the first railway vehicles built in Asia for the European market and the vehicles are still held in high regard by their manufacture 30 years later.

The Irish Railway Record Society are arranging a 30th anniversary railtour over the weekend of the 18th & 19th May and it is expected that 2601 + 2602 will work the tour throughout. See https://irrstimesarrow.eventbrite.ie for more information and booking.

For photos of the launch click https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/Officialevents/2024/ARROW-30-years-1994-2024/

DSC_4666-S.jpg

DSC_4675-S.jpg

DSC_4662-S.jpg

• Like 13

Some facebook comments saying its not quite original livery, whats the difference? I am going to presume its just the door being yellow rather than black at the front?

Good on IE for doing more retro liveries, this looks fantastic.

• Like 1

Have they retained the original seating?

There was a lot of criticism of the original seating.

The Sunday Cork-Heuston Arrow (stock transfer) had the reputation of being something of an endurance test.

Possibly a rail equivalent of enduring the privations of Lough Derg.

Perhaps no refreshments on Saturdays leg or the IRRS Railtour and "black tea" only on Sunday's return to the 'Real Capital" 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GSWR 90 said:

Very well done to IÉ and the IRRS for making this possible. I’m very tempted to go on the IRRS railtour, but I can’t afford a hotel in Cork!

Táilte Tours put up a great article about the 2600s a few weeks ago – you can read it here

No idea who wrote it, but they sound handsome... 🙃

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

8 hours ago, chris said:

Some facebook comments saying its not quite original livery, whats the difference? I am going to presume its just the door being yellow rather than black at the front?

Good on IE for doing more retro liveries, this looks fantastic.

The connecting gangway door is indeed a shade of yellow instead of the dayglo red on the 1994 original version-this is due to current H&S requirements, where the dayglo is not allowed on the railcar connecting gangway door. 

• Like 3

Friday 26th April 2024:
2602 + 2601 returned to their home depot of Limerick on Friday 26th April for further attention before a return to service in the Cork area. The retro-liveried pair were photographed at Kishyquirk outside Killonan Jct. Later in the day we see the new footbridge at Banteer and the 1705 Tralee - Cork passing Rathcoole.

Click https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2024-Photos/April-2024/i-v4MjrVr

DJI_0055-S.jpg

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2

14 hours ago, thewanderer said:

Friday 26th April 2024:
2602 + 2601 returned to their home depot of Limerick on Friday 26th April for further attention before a return to service in the Cork area. The retro-liveried pair were photographed at Kishyquirk outside Killonan Jct. Later in the day we see the new footbridge at Banteer and the 1705 Tralee - Cork passing Rathcoole.

Click https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2024-Photos/April-2024/i-v4MjrVr

DJI_0055-S.jpg

Are they to remain in that livery after the tour?

3 hours ago, IrishTrainScenes said:

Are they to remain in that livery after the tour?

Yes

On 26/4/2024 at 12:03 AM, GSWR 90 said:

Very well done to IÉ and the IRRS for making this possible. I’m very tempted to go on the IRRS railtour, but I can’t afford a hotel in Cork!

Táilte Tours put up a great article about the 2600s a few weeks ago – you can read it here

Can always start out of Dublin ;)

On 25/4/2024 at 3:27 PM, ttc0169 said:

Back to the 1990s, fresh from the IE paint shop at Inchicore is 2601+2602 sporting original as delivered Arrow livery.

I was fortunate to be invited to the unveiling of the railcars at Inchicore paint shop yesterday…

IMG_3294.jpeg

IMG_3295.jpeg

IMG_3293.jpeg

IMG_3291.jpeg

IMG_3290.jpeg

IMG_3301.jpeg

IMG_3299.jpeg

IMG_3300.jpeg

Is this why I saw an ICR in Midleton Yesterday?