CC1's Frames

Rate this topic

Jawfin

Hey,

I've been told (from a multitude of sources) that CC1's frames were filled with cement or something and used as a bridge on a golf course.

Can anyone shed any light (presuming it's true!), like if the bridge is still there or what golf course it's on?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard the same story. No-one can provide a pic of this bridge, or info as to where it is.

Still, it's not as far fetched as derailed locos ending up in Irish bogs that were never recovered, still waiting to be dug up.

Not so far fetched, there's a 0-6-2T from the old Cork Macroom line buried along the N40 somewhere near the Sarsfield roundabout. It went off the rails into a bog and couldn't be lifted so was left there. One of its protruding wheels could still be seen in the 60's and was photographed by Joe St. Ledger. Calls to have it lifted during the recent road upgrade work fell on deaf ears!

There was only one 0-6-2T, the Barclay one, it didn't make it into CIE days...withdrawn sometime around '35 I think.

http://www.spellerweb.net/rhindex/Ireland/GreatSouthern/MacroomLoco.jpg

Sounds too good to be true, I don't doubt JSL took a pic of a wheel, would love to see it, but was the wheel attached to anything? Or just lineside debris?

There was a similar story told in the uk, derailment...loco couldn't be recovered and left be and a chimney protruding out of the ground was pointed to as hard evidence that the loco was still there...but the chimney wasn't attached to anything. It had broken off and was left there after the loco was recovered. A loco, even as scrap, is worth big money. I don't see how a railway company would just leave something that valuable even if it had to be cut up in pieces and carted out by hand. There was one well-known case of a Furness loco that fell into a large hole and that is still there, there is written proof the company just filled in the hole after it exhausted all options at getting it out. Maybe this is worth a thread in its own right.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Not so far fetched, there's a 0-6-2T from the old Cork Macroom line buried along the N40 somewhere near the Sarsfield roundabout. It went off the rails into a bog and couldn't be lifted so was left there. One of its protruding wheels could still be seen in the 60's and was photographed by Joe St. Ledger. Calls to have it lifted during the recent road upgrade work fell on deaf ears!

Are there any disturbed patches of ground visible on Google Earth?

That stretch of road was built after the West Cork closed, maybe mid-late 60s completed. Hell of a lot of suburbs and industrial units have been built in the area and landscaping done since. Plus there were flyovers built around the Sarsfield roundabout recently, covering even more of the area with asphalt.

Assuming there is 'something' buried thereabouts, you would want to narrow the search area down first, else it's just needle in a haystack territory. Let's just say if (and it's a big IF) a loco was lost in the area, there should be supporting evidence...correspondance by the GSR relating to the incident, possibly a newspaper report and photos taken.

Edited by minister_for_hardship

I've done a lot of delving through GSR boardroom minute books over the years and while I most certainly have by no means come across all material on all incidents, this one remains elusive to me!

Given the cash strapped nature of the GSR, I think it's highly unlikely a whole loco was left there. Maybe bits of it?

In any event, I'd be interested to know if there actually is any mileage in this...

Well, I haven't heard the story about the frames, but I have met the guy who really designed the Turf Burner.

I told his story under the title "The Third Man" to the RPSI in Belfast about five years ago.

As it was only a half evening talk, but I could fill an evening with my modelling talk - all that's needed is for someone to pay my fare to Ireland!

By the way, the single-ended Turf Burner shown in Ernie Shepherd's book was drawn by "My Man".

Anyone for a model TB?

There are quite a few Leaders around on Southern layouts over here, the only model TB I know of was, I think, on Cyril Fry's railway?

Leslie

Seamus

The plan is/was to have her polished by a jeweller and left in as is condition

Have an O gauge one somewhere, which is painted

I'll post a pic if I ever find it!

Dave, That's a very nice model and I can understand why you'd want to leave it in brass.

When I had my Class AL built recently, I asked the builder to take a works photo for me (ie, as finished, but before painting). To my amazement, he asked me if I'd like it painted in grey, as per the works photos of old, which decorate so many books on locos.

Etched brass locos look lovely in their before painting style - Alan's model of a NCC "Whippet" which is somewhere on this site shows just how nice!

Thanks for letting us see CC1.

Leslie