Turf Burner Model

Rate this topic

roxyguy

Hi All,

Would anyone be interested if I was to make one of these available through shapeways as a 3d printed model??? Have often thought about doing one.

Obviously it would be body only. Chassis, glazing and extra detailing would be left to your own devices.

tb61_w7.gif

AHO Alco PA1 chassis might be an option Brian Fennel a member of the MRSI Loughrea group used an Athearn Alco PA1 chassis to power a scratch built model of CC1. Bogie sideframes and chain guards could be fabricated from plasitcard or3d printed.

Shapeways "Frosted Detail" will give a finer finish than the nylon usually used but is a lot more expensive.

Hi,

it might be of interest that a guy from the UK - Iain Simm - made a resin model of the turf burner on my request. Maybe he would make some more. As far as I remember it is a tiny bit smaller than 1/76 to give the loco a less massive appearance. I will try to post a photo of it the next days if I manage (my attempts to post photos never really work out)

Frank

Thanks for all the great feedback here. I am going to plough ahead with this. Given the chassis and bogie issues, it wind up as more of a decent representation than completely prototypical - but that doesn't bother me too much. As some has pointed out the 'frosted detail' from shapeways is a much better option. The goldeneye loco was produced with that material and has a much smoother finish as a result.

If anyone has decent pics, I would be grateful. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
did the person thinking of doing a 3D printed turf burner get any where ?

I was thinking of doing the same, but stumbled across this post, no point in 2 people doing the same loco

The project was probably forgotten, or lost in the mists of time...

So..go for it if you want to.:tumbsup:

John Click was the chap - wouldn't call him a crony, more a pa, although I don't know his actual title.

John Click was with Bulleid at Brighton. Later he was working at the Testing Centre at Rugby when Bulleid asked Roland Bond for the loan of a couple of guys to TEST the TB.

The full story has been told to me by Ron Pocklington who was the other guy sent to Ireland.

When he and John Click arrived in Dublin they found that they had been sent to test a non-existent loco! The pair of them first had to build the thing!

Full story was told by me in a talk entitled "The Third Man" (given to RPSI in Belfast and IRRS in London). - it's time I came to Dublin and gave the talk at Heuston?

Leslie

John Click was with Bulleid at Brighton. Later he was working at the Testing Centre at Rugby when Bulleid asked Roland Bond for the loan of a couple of guys to TEST the TB.

The full story has been told to me by Ron Pocklington who was the other guy sent to Ireland.

When he and John Click arrived in Dublin they found that they had been sent to test a non-existent loco! The pair of them first had to build the thing!

Full story was told by me in a talk entitled "The Third Man" (given to RPSI in Belfast and IRRS in London). - it's time I came to Dublin and gave the talk at Heuston?

Leslie

Wasn't he charged with being the photographer during the build? I don't know if it was Leader or CC1 though..

Harry, I understood from Ron Pocklington that John was simply an enthusiastic photographer, rather than the official one.

That said, between John and Ron they recorded the progress of the locomotive from the day they arrived right through to the trials on the Cork Main Line.

I might add that John photographed Ron beside the boiler - the most significant part of the engine which existed when they turned up; the tanks had also been made - looked like progress, but wasn't - no work had been done on the actual ENGINE, which John and, more importantly Ron, set about designing and then building!

It's a remarkable story.

Leslie

Harry, I understood from Ron Pocklington that John was simply an enthusiastic photographer, rather than the official one.

That said, between John and Ron they recorded the progress of the locomotive from the day they arrived right through to the trials on the Cork Main Line.

I might add that John photographed Ron beside the boiler - the most significant part of the engine which existed when they turned up; the tanks had also been made - looked like progress, but wasn't - no work had been done on the actual ENGINE, which John and, more importantly Ron, set about designing and then building!

It's a remarkable story.

Leslie

A remarkable story indeed..

One or two of his pics of the turf burner ended up in Tom Ferris 'A Second Glance' including one of her

Fresh out of inchicore, in green (although it looks blue!)

The entire project is fascinating..although poor Aul 356 would probably think otherwise!

Poor thing..

image.jpeg