What are you listening to now?.

Rate this topic

I agree, DM had a purple patch with Music for the Masses, 101, Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion. I think the change in direction that the group began to take after the Devotional tour led Alan Wilder to quite the band. Never let me down again is always a high point during their shows. Enjoy the silence is still my favorite music video.

Rich,

100% with you there Rich. Those albums are just that high up there that they can't be touched, in DM terms. Although, I do also like 'Construction Time Again' and most of those that came before.

Alan clearly lent a classically trained ear, part-created and gave direction to the 'DM sound'. You're right, but 'Ultra' (which obviously isn't as good as Songs of Faith and Devotion) continued to be musically and sonically 'tough'. I think it was with 'Exciter' that the DM sound seemed to lose its way (slightly), it got softer and the beats haven't hit as hard since.

But thats as far as I will go, its not criticism, just observation. Everything changes with time and that they're here at all and producing good (to very good!) material is the main thing.

Yeah, I've experienced those hand waving moments during 'Never Let Me Down'. 'Enjoy The Silence' has quite an evocative video alright but when you have Anton Corbijn as your art/image/video director, you are always onto a winner!

Edited by Blu Bianco

100% with you there Rich. Those albums are just that high up there that they can't be touched, in DM terms. Although, I do also like 'Construction Time Again' and most of those that came before.

Alan clearly lent a classically trained ear, part-created and gave direction to the 'DM sound'. You're right, but 'Ultra' (which obviously isn't as good as Songs of Faith and Devotion) continued to be musically and sonically 'tough'. I think it was with 'Exciter' that the DM sound seemed to lose its way (slightly), it got softer and the beats haven't hit as hard since.

But thats as far as I will go, its not criticism, just observation. Everything changes with time and that they're here at all and producing good (to very good!) material is the main thing.

Yeah, I've experienced those hand waving moments during 'Never Let Me Down'. 'Enjoy The Silence' has quite an evocative video alright but when you have Anton Corbijn as your art/image/video director, you are always onto a winner!

DM have remained relevant and proof of that is how many new songs they play every night on tour. I do have a soft spot for Black Celebration myself, Stripped is a classic, the live version on 101 is epic. Blasphemous Rumours is also a favorite of mine.

Rich,

I like the new DM album a lot.

Exciter would be my Fav DM album,and DM seemed to go

from a pop early few years to a more angry-Rock sound

unlike OMD whe were a very much experimental sounding

music for their first 4 albums untill a more pop-American

sound emerged in the mid 80s.

I preferred Ultra myself Eamonn. It's No Good and Home are great song's. I was watching some of OMD's performance at the Henley Festival the other night, they played Electricity, Souvenir, and Enola Gay. They sounded good.

Rich,

Going to see OMD in Dublin in may.

Should be a good one Eamonn. My brother went to see them some years ago and Simple Minds were also on the bill. I remember Jim Kerr saying he and Charlie Burchill felt like men out of time when they heard Oasis, at least Simple Minds and OMD are still making records and playing live.

Rich,

They are playing Vicar Street on Thursday 30th May in

support of the new album"English Electric".

Yes I know the title suggests a feast of Deltics' date='and the

two main people in the band are into trains.[/quote']

Might be Hoover (50s) bashers, or into choppers (20s) or tractors (37s) or whistlers (40s). They made some class traction!

got a vid of one flying brothie?

Plenty of Lightning and Canberra videos about. We did fly a few Frame Rs, and other things, through the factory roof - but no videos, too busy trying to find a decent bench to get under before the bits came back down....

You're very lucky to still have me - a Canberra crashed into the firing range one Sunday morning, the week after we decided to cease our weekly shooting event ...

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier hit a bit of a Manchester vibe.

One of the best side project bands ever, Electronic, featuring Bernard Sumner (New Order) and Johnny Marr (The Smiths). Their first album is simply brilliant. This song wasn't on the album but was a b-side to one of their biggest hits, 'Get The Message'. I think it shows how you can fuse House music together perfectly with guitars if you really try. Just listen to those synths, pianos and guitars! Brings me back to 1991 when optimism seemed to be in the air;

[video=youtube;VD6-bMRJJZY]

Marr has hit a real winner with his new album, 'The Messenger';

A true guitar hero!

Was watching something on Sky Arts One this morning about the demise and resurgence of Independent Record Shops in the UK. Marr featured and was as charming as usual.

Edited by Blu Bianco

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What am I listening too?-- well my ears are still ringing from last night's concert at the King Hall grounds, Belfast by the mighty E Street Band fronted by Bruce Springsteen.

http://www.backstreets.com/setlists.html

Fantastic nonstop 3 hours of music on a beautiful sunny evening (I think that's the 1st outdoor concert of his I've been at when it has not rained).

The Show was fantastic as anyone who made the Limerick and Cork Concerts will agree. My only grips were the bar service (40 mins queuing to get served) and Translink Special Concert Service, had to wait 20 mins for a train which took us to Gt Victoria St and then had to wait another 20 mins before the train to Bangor set off.

But the night was too good to let that spoil it and Bruce is doing another two night in Kilkenny, if you can get tickets it will be well worth it.