What are you listening to now?.

Rate this topic

• 3 years later...
On 27/2/2024 at 2:51 PM, skinner75 said:

Listening to this banger at the moment, but could be anything really! Back when I was in college, a few of us went for a drive down to north Spain to visit a friend, and we had a mix tape with this track on it - brings back good memories!

Stomper! Brings back some great memories from 1996. I still have a cassette somewhere with this track on it.

Back in the days when you had to record a DJ mix on a Hi-Fi system. Good times. 

Edited by JasonB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Piano Man, Billy Joel. Just after listening to Don't Look Back In Anger, Oasis. Before that, Mr. Brightside, The Killers, and then Dreams, The Cranberries. If anyone beats that for variety, I'll build a kit for my layout and name the building after them.

12 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

Piano Man, Billy Joel. Just after listening to Don't Look Back In Anger, Oasis. Before that, Mr. Brightside, The Killers, and then Dreams, The Cranberries. If anyone beats that for variety, I'll build a kit for my layout and name the building after them.

I went to see The Pogues play in Burton on Trent, in a converted bowling alley, around the early 80s.

For logistical reasons, we arrived quite early and waited in a fairly reasonable pub.

After a few minutes, we became aware that the jukebox had no consistent theme and played stuff from every possible musical genre.

As this went on, we started to think that everything had been covered, heavy metal, pop, bubble gum, progressive rock, light classical, country & western, musicals, folk, skiffle, rock and roll, blues, jazz - everything...

There had been about twenty completely unrelated records when I said, "That must be it, the only thing missing is Slim Whitman".

The next record was "Rose Marie"...

I was then accused of having set this up somehow.

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, Broithe said:

I went to see The Pogues play in Burton on Trent, in a converted bowling alley, around the early 80s.

For logistical reasons, we arrived quite early and waited in a fairly reasonable pub.

After a few minutes, we became aware that the jukebox had no consistent theme and played stuff from every possible musical genre.

As this went on, we started to think that everything had been covered, heavy metal, pop, bubble gum, progressive rock, light classical, country & western, musicals, folk, skiffle, rock and roll, blues, jazz - everything...

There had been about twenty completely unrelated records when I said, "That must be it, the only thing missing is Slim Whitman".

The next record was "Rose Marie"...

I was then accused of having set this up somehow.

Have to tell that to my uncle Andrew. As well as being one of our modelling brethren, I’m pretty sure he’s been to every Pogues gig. Like, ever.

Edited by LNERW1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

Have to tell that to my uncle Andrew. As well as being one of our modelling brethren, I’m pretty sure he’s been to every Pogues gig. Like, ever.

I saw them three times. The Burton one was weird, as the stage was halfway along the long side of the room, rather than at one end.

I also saw them in Oakengates Town Hall, a bit of a posh place and the manager was utterly horrified when he saw the queue lined up outside. He clearly thought he'd booked something like the Clancy Brothers and expected a few people in Aran sweaters to turn up, not several hundred degenerates. He actually locked the doors again, whilst he deliberated about whether to let them in or not. After about thirty seconds, he realised it might be worse if he tried to keep them out...

The chap in front of me in the queue was wearing an old army blanket and had a Mohican in the style of a TV aerial.

• Like 1