When is enough, enough?

Rate this topic

Noel

Or more specifically when are enough model railway items enough?

A bit of a daft question perhaps, but human nature being what it is, many of us myself included can't help acquiring more stock, kits, collectables, memorabilia, trinkets, books, etc, when the "buying urge" is triggered by walking into a store, visiting a website, a sale, or visiting trade stands at a show. And all the little "self justification" demons pop into my head.

The temptation to buy two more 071s at the excellent "sale" price on offer from one of the exhibitors at the SDMRC show was powerful - marketing works - visual feasting works - but luckily the Borg's "resistance is futile" cliche did not apply. I decided to leave credit card at home and only bring a small amount of cash, and I reckoned it possibly saved my 000s of euro buying more stuff I didn't really need. I have five 071s already and do not need two more even though they are livery options I would have liked. Bizarrely on the drive into the show I was listening to Spirit FM and heard a financial advisor advocate the use of cash as a means to reduce impulse buying or limit unnecessary spending.

I did manage to pick up some really useful items and paid cash. I also got some useful info and pricing on particular items I will need in the near future.

I understand there are genuine collectors, but personally for myself there are only so many locos that will fit on our layout and there is no point in me storing them in boxes collecting dust. I hope I am slowly learning what "enough" means and how to be "content". I'm sure I will fail though. :)

Interesting subject Noel, I was doing a stock take a while ago and just felt I had too many locos that are from time periods I wouldnt have much of an interest in like the current Irish scene, the Supertrain era etc. I also noticed I had a huge amount of mint boxed lima and early split chassis Bachmann which have since been replaced by modern and better running equivalents so it's time to give someone else the joy of them and invest the money in new American and British stuff that hold more of an interest to me.

I'll be keeping my IR and IE orange era Irish stuff though as that's the era I remember the most, and will soon have some nice freight stock to run behind them! :) Sometimes a spring clean is a good way to get you what you want and not feel too guilty about spends.

Personally , I think there's too much focus on rtr. Also you have to decide what hobby you are in

There are ( in no order of merit )

Toy train operation

Railway modelling

Toy collection ( collectors )

For the last there is obviously interest in just collecting boxes. The " using " of the toy is not important. Hence there is no limit to numbers merely financial limits.

For the first , the focus is mainly rtr. Less focus on era , prototypical operation and stock .

The middle one has historically had a mixture of rtr , kit and sometimes scratch built and this tended to slow the acquisition of stock as building your own takes time

Many people of course straddle the three disclioes.

Anyway as sone know, I'm going to build a fairly accurate model of claremorris. Reading a book I got at the show , covered the knock specials. Seeming upwards of 20-30 locos and nearly 200 carriages has to be stored in claremorris during knock specials. I've a bit to go yet. !!!!!!

We needs a decent model of an A class's , that what's we need , too many GMs in my opinion

Edited by Junctionmad

Personally , I think there's too much focus on rtr. Also you have to decide what hobby you are in

Toy train operation

Railway modelling

I think you show that you dont have to decide on one area and stick rigidly to it if you dont want to. At the end of the day it's a hobby and the important factor is enjoyment. It's about what aspect of this very broad hobby you enjoy the most. If that's collecting, train set operating or railway modelling (which has so many strands within itself to be honest, from nice scenery to watch trains go through to full operating procedure via parameters like operating accurate timetables) it's up to you and lines can be blurred between all three. I know for me it's a mixture of all elements.

Some people can be disciplined and limit themselves to one area, in one time frame, and only use stock from that period. I personally wish I was like that as I'd save a lot of money, but alas am not. I also see that the vast majority of people in the Irish scene dont tend to be like that too. It's an interesting comparison to the UK and US scenes in that sense as focus seems to be practiced by larger numbers there. I have lots of diverse interests but sure it's all part of the craic of it.

Interesting subject Noel, I was doing a stock take a while ago and just felt I had too many locos that are from time periods I wouldnt have much of an interest in like the current Irish scene, the Supertrain era etc. I also noticed I had a huge amount of mint boxed lima and early split chassis Bachmann which have since been replaced by modern and better running equivalents so it's time to give someone else the joy of them and invest the money in new American and British stuff that hold more of an interest to me.

I'll be keeping my IR and IE orange era Irish stuff though as that's the era I remember the most, and will soon have some nice freight stock to run behind them! :) Sometimes a spring clean is a good way to get you what you want and not feel too guilty about spends.

Hi Fran, yes I think you are right. I have a chest of unopened Bachmann and Hornby steam locos I collected 25-35 years ago that stand as a waste and an embarrassment. The discovery of an MM 182 at the Fry Museum in 2008 reawakened my interest in the hobby and recently changed it from British outline to the Irish black'n'tan scene I remember in the 60s and 70s especially loose coupled freight. Most of the Bachmann's are split chassis and I think it is time for an ebay spring clean and declutter. I still like GWR and LMS so will keep a few pax and freight train formations from those companies. But I will hang on to my old Hornby-Dublo collection and the few Triang samples.

Toy train operation

Railway modelling

For the last there is obviously interest in just collecting boxes. The " using " of the toy is not important. Hence there is no limit to numbers merely financial limits.

For the first , the focus is mainly rtr. Less focus on era , prototypical operation and stock .

The middle one has historically had a mixture of rtr , kit and sometimes scratch built and this tended to slow the acquisition of stock as building your own takes time

Anyway as sone know, I'm going to build a fairly accurate model of claremorris. Reading a book I got at the show , covered the knock specials. Seeming upwards of 20-30 locos and nearly 200 carriages has to be stored in claremorris during knock specials. I've a bit to go yet. !!!!!!

We needs a decent model of an A class's , that what's we need , too many GMs in my opinion

Well Dave as you and I have often joked, I'm a hybrid of the 1st two. As for accuracy of models in some cases if nothing better is available I am delighted to enjoy RTR stock the pass the "duck test", or at least until something better comes along. Not in my wildest dreams back in the 70s did I ever expect a scale RTR model of any Irish diesel locos nor coaches. Now we have a full house except for the 121 and perhaps an improved A class, but we have Park Royals, Cravens, Laminates, and now ballast hoppers that straddle the era I remember fondly. I just have to remind myself I need limited numbers of all of the above and must not repeat the wasteful exercise I got into 30 years ago when I started to collect BR steam era locos from 3 of the big 4.

As a member of the 3 camps I still wonder when is enough enough?

Regarding the first 2 camps I am in an envious position because of my membership of a model railway club

We have facilities to run our models, show them off if you will, and glean positive information from other members about running numbers liveries rake formations etc

Then we can bring them to our workbenches and carry out these improvements under the eyes of expert modellers who will help gladly with no strings attached, for the love of the hobby

We also run occasional classes in building models and scenery. these classes cover all the various gauges and are really most informative.

And finally as a collector there is no enough.

My collecting has an excuse, I harbour a model railway historian somewhere deep down and I have thought deeply about bringing this "History of Irish Model Railways" on tour sometime. I would love to display the various stages of the progression of our beautiful hobby at the different shows around the country but the thoughts of some of you guys mauling my stuff is frightening, you would need to bring your own white gloves at the very least!

Added to the collection at the SDMRC, a MIR 141 unmade kit with instructions, now gone into storage, after a quick few pics, with all his brother kits.

Also 3 x 305304S unboxed Lima Mk 2 D coaches, some of the harder to find pre Murphy Irish Lima coaches

THERE IS NO ENOUGH!!!

Regarding the first 2 camps I am in an envious position because of my membership of a model railway club

We have facilities to run our models, show them off if you will, and glean positive information from other members about running numbers liveries rake formations etc

Then we can bring them to our workbenches and carry out these improvements under the eyes of expert modellers who will help gladly with no strings attached, for the love of the hobby

We also run occasional classes in building models and scenery. these classes cover all the various gauges and are really most informative.

My collecting has an excuse, I harbour a model railway historian somewhere deep down and I have thought deeply about bringing this "History of Irish Model Railways" on tour sometime. I would love to display the various stages of the progression of our beautiful hobby at the different shows around the country but the thoughts of some of you guys mauling my stuff is frightening, you would need to bring your own white gloves at the very least!

Added to the collection at the SDMRC, a MIR 141 unmade kit with instructions, now gone into storage, after a quick few pics, with all his brother kits.

Also 3 x 305304S unboxed Lima Mk 2 D coaches, some of the harder to find pre Murphy Irish Lima coaches

THERE IS NO ENOUGH!!!

glass cases Dave. A model should be like your woman; no other man should be touching them!

THERE IS NO ENOUGH!!!

Exhibiting your collection "History of Irish Model Railways" Dave sounds like a fabulous idea.

I'm of the opinion of 'buy it while it is available - no sense looking for it in 20 years time'. I've no layout to run anything on as of yet, but I am buying stock so that when I have a layout, I will have stock for it

I did that starting 35 years ago, but unfortunately I have collected a lot of UK stock I now don't need (i.e. there was no decent Irish models back then). You are lucky to be starting in an era when there is an abundance of quality Irish RTR models and kits from multiple vendors. Sure enough I collected a lot of nice UK steam era rolling stock for a fraction of what they cost today but I will only get to use a few selected samples. As China's economy continues to develop production costs along with labour costs will rise significantly in the coming decade, and sadly we may see quality Irish model locos break past the €200 barrier in the not too distant future. It doesn't seem that long ago I bought my 1st MM 141 for about €85 new. Where 3D printing or its replacement might be in 10 years time I don't know, but hopefully it may keep the costs of the hobby accessible for all. In the mean time you can't beat quality injection moulded plastic for quality. Resin and 3D right now simply can't compete for quality detailed bodies.

Edited by Noel

I suppose I fall into the camp of only collecting for a particular layout in mind. so that focus the attention. Equally I have no recollection of steam, but a great association with the GM engines in particular, having been given many a cab ride in the waterford area.

Interesting comment re difference between Irish and British modellers, suggesting they are more focused. I dont think thats the case at all, I think for years unless you were a skilled scratch builder ( and its still true to some extent) you couldnt model the " Irish Scene " even if you wanted to . SO we limited ourselves to rail models that in reality we had no nostalgic connection with , aka British Steam. Of course where that leaves an irish modeller with british diesels is entirely unclear!! ( Noel )

I hope ruth all the availability of Irish mdoels, we shall see in the next 10-15 years some brilliant Irish layouts with prototypical layouts, maybe even a 21mm extravaganza . It seven getting fashionable across the water to consider Irish layouts to move away from the mass of blue diesels ( and ours sounds way way better, well until they got class 68s of course )

The sad thing is whats coming after us, a generation will almost zero contact with modern irish railways , and such a railway that haa very little to offer modellers , I find that sad , especially when modern image modellers in the UK has gone through a huge boon, with privatisation etc

As China's economy continues to develop production costs along with labour costs will rise significantly in the coming decade, and sadly we may see quality Irish model locos break past the €200 barrier in the not too distant future. Where 3D printing or its replacement might be in 10 years time I don't know, but hopefully it may keep the costs of the hobby accessible for all.

Personally I think production will move elsewhere. Hornby has stuff made in India for example. I think there's a real opportunity for an emerging economy to 'do a China' if they could get their act together. The demand for cheap goods built to a high standard is there.

Glad I wasn't the only one who got unnaturally excited by that suggestion :)

Yes one could sell tickets for viewing behind a climate controlled screen, or premium tickets could include forensic lab white gloves and head masks for closer inspection and handling of stock. A raffle could be run with the lucky winner allowed to run one of the items once around a loop. :)

Seriously though, an exhibition showing the history of Irish models could be fabulous, and worth an entrance ticket.

Interesting comment re difference between Irish and British modellers, suggesting they are more focused. I dont think thats the case at all,

Now now, I never said they were more focused on a particular timeframe than us, I said more of them are focused on one theme, and that stands to reason considering there are move of them! There are plenty who still buy whatever Hornby and Bachmann churn out of course. I focus on two periods on BR myself. One I have memories of (late 80s to late 90s) a period when I spent a lot of summers over there, and one I have no memories of (60s steam - diesel transition) but find infinitely interesting.

And as much as I love the sounds of a baby GM and 071s, Deltics, 40s, 50s, 56s, Peaks and 37s sound awesome to me. Diff strokes, but that's what makes this hobby great; diversity. At the end of the day it's not a 'my interest is more valid that yours' hobby which is great! :)

Steel case would be nearer the mark

There are some remarkable grades of glass about. Where I used to work, we had the odd explosion and the control room windows were intended to repel any items that came their way - a party-piece, when showing visitors around, was to pick up a handily-placed brick and fling it at the windows as hard as possible. It never even left a mark, but we did have to replace the brick every now and then.

Personally I think production will move elsewhere. Hornby has stuff made in India for example. I think there's a real opportunity for an emerging economy to 'do a China' if they could get their act together. The demand for cheap goods built to a high standard is there.

I tend to agree. However nagging a little the back of my mind, is the invisible to us labour conditions some of these economies hide from plain sight. Easier to do perhaps in China than an open democracy like India. We all like lower prices but at what cost if we came face to face with what happens on the ground. Don't mean to sound negative, but having worked in some 3rd world countries, I find it difficult to avoid my head wondering about matters that I don't really like thinking about. I'd prefer to just resume dreaming about buying a pair of MM 121s in the next few years, and perhaps a quality injection moulded A class running on a centre drive chassis. I worry about whats "enough" when folk on this spec of dust are worrying about drinking water - "mea culpa"

Edited by Noel

There are some remarkable grades of glass about. Where I used to work, we had the odd explosion and the control room windows were intended to repel any items that came their way - a party-piece, when showing visitors around, was to pick up a handily-placed brick and fling it at the windows as hard as possible. It never even left a mark, but we did have to replace the brick every now and then.

One of my favourite boozers on Moore street before it was burnt out....

I suppose I fall into the camp of only collecting for a particular layout in mind. so that focus the attention. Equally I have no recollection of steam, but a great association with the GM engines in particular, having been given many a cab ride in the waterford area.

Interesting comment re difference between Irish and British modellers, suggesting they are more focused. I dont think thats the case at all, I think for years unless you were a skilled scratch builder ( and its still true to some extent) you couldnt model the " Irish Scene " even if you wanted to . SO we limited ourselves to rail models that in reality we had no nostalgic connection with , aka British Steam. Of course where that leaves an irish modeller with british diesels is entirely unclear!! ( Noel )

I hope ruth all the availability of Irish mdoels, we shall see in the next 10-15 years some brilliant Irish layouts with prototypical layouts, maybe even a 21mm extravaganza . It seven getting fashionable across the water to consider Irish layouts to move away from the mass of blue diesels ( and ours sounds way way better, well until they got class 68s of course )

The sad thing is whats coming after us, a generation will almost zero contact with modern irish railways , and such a railway that haa very little to offer modellers , I find that sad , especially when modern image modellers in the UK has gone through a huge boon, with privatisation etc

Some good points and my lexdisia was able to understand the touch screen spelling :) Tuoch srceen cna mkae a rael mese of tpying but fokl kan sitll undretsand waht yuo maen.

Btw, the TV and films many Irish modellers have watched over the past 50 years generally depict trains as being UK steam era, combined with hornby toy sets had created a sort of false 'nostalgia' effect in the ROI market, despite folks here never having travelled on same. (Ie TV and movies kept steam alive in folks heads long after it was gone). Some NI folks lucky to have living memory of steam.

I never knew working steam and, all things being equal and if there was stuff available, would love to do a pre GSR layout maybe something offbeat like a WOI or Civil War theme.

The death of steam/new diesel era has a lot of variety as well, down at heel steam side by side with (a few) clean diesels.

The present day has relatively little interest for me, even station surrounds have become really ugly looking with Euro-cobble brick platforms, hideous palisade fencing and awful modern steel footbridges more suited to an oil refinery or chemical plant.

I never knew working steam and, all things being equal and if there was stuff available, would love to do a pre GSR layout maybe something offbeat like a WOI or Civil War theme.

The death of steam/new diesel era has a lot of variety as well, down at heel steam side by side with (a few) clean diesels.

The present day has relatively little interest for me, even station surrounds have become really ugly looking with Euro-cobble brick platforms, hideous palisade fencing and awful modern steel footbridges more suited to an oil refinery or chemical plant.

Have to agree with this. In fact, the only thing that really gets me lineside these days is RPSI specials. And I would always be more into diesels than steam. Freight and Dublin Cork/Belfast aside it holds no interest for me.

We've also gone way off topic, think we need to steer it back onto the subject matter!

I agree too, albeit with great regret.

I'm a railway enthusiast, yet -

1. It is years, possibly decades, since I travelled on a train in this country purely for pleasure.

2. In my youth I took about 3000 pictures (few of memorable quality!) on and about the railway. It's years since I've taken one nowadays, and it's also years since I've even brought a camera near a railway.

3. When I go to the west or north, car is my first preference, not the identikit plastic tram-trains, and without intending to offend anyone here, I would class the "Enterprise" in that mode too.

4. I don't know the number sequences or building dates of any of the modern trains north or south, apart from the 071 class diesels. I know nothing of what power plants the locomotives and railcars have, nor do I know what types of couplers they have.

Yes, yes, I'm an oul wan, and proud of it!

I saw steam, yes, but things go full circle; my very earliest recollection of a steam engine was probably at Westland Row. I didn't know the builder, building date, wheel arrangement, or how it was coupled to its coaches. I was about 3......

(Latterly, I think it was a J15!)

So - WHEN is enough "enough"?

Answer: when you've loads of stuff you know you'll never, ever, use; and you can't take it with you. Sell and enjoy the money or use it for a practical purpose.

(Must get all the stuff I have organised for use or sale! Any 009 fans out there?)

Food for thought. All these new temptations, IFM laminates, IRM ballasts, AEC 2600 DVT, PW Bulleid's, 121s down the tracks, Shapeways A class on Athearn chassis, Marks Sale, etc. Where will it all end Ted?

Enough dreaming . . .