Bantry Town Station 1950's

Rate this topic

bantree

Nothing I had experienced in the West Cork could have prepared me for Blaenau on a wet day.

I loved John's comment about North Wales - but of course, there was a positive side to it - the waterfall at Tanygrisiau would be in full flood and that was a sight to see!

When I saw Andy Cundick's Valentia, I commented on how wonderfully grey it was (boy, I've led  a few tours round the Ring of Kerry on rather dull days) - I did suggest to him that he have a glass front to the layout with rain somehow imitated on (in) it. If the German's can make  the glass opaque behind the driver in an ICE3 - by just flicking a switch - I'm sure imitation rain would be a cinch?

Mike - Bantry is an absolute delight - looking forward to seeing your GSWR brake van in the station!

• 3 weeks later...

My three most used modelling books are The Art of Weathering, Gordon Gravett's book on Grassland and Landscape Detailing, plus John Ahern's book on Model Building Construction, the latter still extremely valid, even though first published 70 years ago. Mine isn't that old, in case you ask! Other books fill in the gaps, but with these three you can make a very realistic layout.

• Informative 2

They say that your deepest memories often involve scents.

A friend of mine is involved in the perfume industry and I once got involved in assessing various unisex concoctions. One of them received several similar verdicts along the lines of "damp shed" - having seen that marvellous grounded van above, I can smell it again now...

I agree with David on the first two, My other  preferred volume is Ian Rice's Plastic Structure Kits. My wife has bought me George Dent's new

book "Weathering for Railway Modellers -Buildings Scenery and the lineside"  for Christmas .First impressions are excellent.

PS Have bought the latest Railway Modeller-must have a go at another van body for my East Anglian layout!.

• 3 weeks later...

I still like the original method in The Art of Weathering. There is both logic and reality in putting rust on first, then covering it in Maskol, before spraying the top coat and peeling off the Maskol to reveal the rust underneath. Takes longer, but very satisfying.

Having said that, the alternative methods look pretty damned good too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Pics of Bantry taken at last Weds club night by member Peter Daly. Bantry team is Mick, Chris (trailers), Geoff, Peter, myself John (Banntry) with occasional help

from Chris 2. Other members have assisted at various times. We only has my DMU's available to run as Mick was away last week, with more stock it would

have looked even better!.

P1010563[1].JPG

P1010564[1].JPG

P1010565[1].JPG

P1010566[1].JPG

P1010567[1].JPG

P1010568[1].JPG

P1010571[1].JPG

P1010572[1].JPG

P1010573[1].JPG

P1010575[1].JPG

P1010576[1].JPG

P1010578[1].JPG

P1010579[1].JPG

P1010580[1].JPG

P1010582[1].JPG

P1010583[1].JPG

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1

6 hours ago, banntry said:

We only has my DMU's available to run as Mick was away last week, with more stock it would

have looked even better!.

P1010563[1].JPG

P1010575[1].JPG

Probably pretty much what it looked like in its last years before the departure of the afternoon passenger and the arrival of the C Class on the goods from Drimoleague.

Ballasting the track has made a real difference,  reducing the narrow gauge appearance and  capturing that light flatbottom look so noticeable in photos of the West Cork stations and yards

• Like 3

Painting the sides of the rails makes a difference too, as can be seen. The DMU is splendid, no apologies needed. As for the pier, either a very fine weathering job, or it has been left out in the garden for about ten years to get that effect.

There has been some sublime stuff on IRM recently and this is one more.

Thanks folks.  The pier was painted first with, I believe , Ronseal stain and varnish and when dry rubbed down. You could also use Sleeper Grime or Frame Dirt

This was then over weathered with Ranger Indusries Distress Paint (from art/craft shops) shade is Weathered Wood!

After this has dried the green (Daler Rowney Pastel 363 Tint 4) was rubbed over in varying strengths with a finger.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Informative 4

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...